Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot open gmail or any google site whats going on ?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

when i click on gmail or google search they will not open, connection times out, I have tried everything i know which is not much, to resolve this. It has only happened in the last few days. It seems to be my own laptop because I can get into my gmail with the wifes laptop. I scanned for virus and malware but nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

try clearing the cache and temporary files for the web browser you're using, see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thorold

Browse to Windows\system32\drivers\etc and open a file called hosts. See if there is any reference to gmail or google and if so delete these references and save the file. Then try the sites again.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Piusno1

I had cleared all cache and no change, I went to Windows\system32\drivers\etc
    hosts , no gmail or google mentioned only icalender ? I deleted that and no change either. Its really bugging me.

have you tried a different browser? what browser are you using?

Ya I tried Internet Explore , Sarfari and google Chrome no luck, but what I did try was using an old guest account(switch users) and I got the gmail no problem and google, so whats wrong with my own account in windows is there something corrupted.

• Advertisement

how about firefox?

I know one thing IE, Chrome and Safari have in common are that they all use the Internet Explorer connection and proxy settings. FF does not. Sounds like it could be something in your profile. Only real way to find out is to try and rule out some other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

They switched to https as default recently, could be related.

Firefox is my main browser, https ? how do I change this and what should I do to weed out the problem , I don't know where to start. Can I update my profile.

https is a secure / encrypted link to a website, like with online banking.

it could be a dns issue if it's across all browsers. Try clearing the DNS cache;

go to Start > Run > type cmd > hit enter;
    in the command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns
    hit enter, try accessing google again.

Tried that as you said, this what I got " could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache fuction failed during execution"

• Advertisement

you may want to google that! :pac:

What OS are you using? any trouble with any other https sites?

Windows XP and what other sites use https , but I think its only google and yahoo search sites and gmail and if I search on MSN it still does not work it will time out. So I cannot search any thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thorold

Try turning off your internet router off for 10 seconds and then turning it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Piusno1 wrote: »
    Tried that as you said, this what I got " could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache fuction failed during execution"

From microsoft site:
    To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the list of services, click DNS Client.
    3. Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
    4. If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
    2. In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
    3. Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

Thanks for that coldfire done what you said, it was stopped I turned it on and flushed the DNS. But my problem is still here, someone mention about a profile situation I wonder, because I can get to my gmail and google search through the Guest login no problem. EDIT Im just after trying to get into my gmail with the guest login but it does not work so Im completely fcuked now

Download malwarebytes from:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install and run the scan. Fix the issues detected. This is to make sure that there's no spyware / adware in your machine.

Ya I have that program, I ran it and fixed what ever came up no difference.

Not sure but it may be the case that your ISP is unable to resolve the DNS.

Have a look and give it a try.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I opened up that web page no problem , by changeing these settings what exactly am I doing

Before that, check if you have any entry in your host file.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This is to make sure nothing is redirecting the pages you are trying to open.

• Advertisement

all thats in this folder is hosts.msn / Imhosts sam file / protocol / services / networks file

Piusno1 wrote: »
    all thats in this folder is hosts.msn / Imhosts sam file / protocol / services / networks file

That doesnt look right. Theres usually a host file in that directory. Copy and paste the following and save it in the directory with a filename hosts , remember theres no extension.
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Restart your pc and try again.

Sorry for this but do I copy everything in the quote to the desktop and rename it Hosts and paste in Hosts directory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

DNS server are servers that every connection use to change lets say www.google.com into 216.239.59.147 which is what the internet uses to connect to anything.

put 216.239.59.147 into your address bar and see if the site comes up.

Ya I put in that no. in address bar and the google page came up but I still can't do a search or get into too gmail from there.

to get around your problem follow the instructions as suggested on http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ (as someone suggested here)
    what that will do, to answer your q, is when you type in www.google.com or www.gmail.com it will reply back with the ip address of the machine.
    obviously how ever your DNS are setup and the moment - its not working.

thats only getting around the problem. it would be better to try and find out why its happening. virus scans etc

colderfire and samhail thanks for your help , but im still unsure of the Hosts file what I have to do and in the code.google.com/speed/public-dns do i get rid of my dns thats there already, Perlico is my isp and they have 192.168.1.1 as dns is this all down to a virus or something, all was working fine 10 days ago, I even restored the computer back before that but no difference.

192.168.1.1 sounds like a router IP address, which is the box that you plug your phone line into, then connect to from your PC (wired or wireless)
    that would not have a DNS server running on it (unless you were really geeky and set it up yourself :))
    (are you sure that thats not your gateway that they have)

Some anti virus programs to change your default proxy too, so that all traffic goes through its own program. if your antivirus gets corrupt or expires it might cause problems like this.

This is what I have in the Hosts file when I right click and opened in notepad

# Copyright (c) 1993-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This file has been automatically generated for use by Microsoft Internet
    # Connection Sharing. It contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names
    # for the home network. Please do not make changes to the HOSTS.ICS file.
    # Any changes may result in a loss of connectivity between machines on the
    # local network.
    #

192.168.0.1 xps.mshome.net # 2013 1 5 11 21 37 13 140

I also have a hosts msn file with the correct contents

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Is this correct

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yip hosts looks fine

try system restore in case something random got borked

if no joy then either something running in the background , unlkely since you scanned and it's not affecting the other accounts

in which case it looks like something up with your account, set up a new user account for your self , and see how it gets on before you move stuff from one account to the other

windows has a half life, with newer versions of windows it's just a lot longer than in the past ( same also applies to other OS's again they just take longer to accumulate enough crud to stop them )

Advertisement