Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dooradoyle

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Decided after 2 years in the city to move out to Dooradoyle,much better value in the rental market IMO.
    Anywhere to avoid in Dooradoyle/Raheen area?
    What is the Dooradoyle leisure centre like?Is it a well equipped gym?

And lastly,how bad is the traffic at peak times?
    The missus works at an office located at Steamboat Quay,how difficult would it be to get in and out there?She drives btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blank_screen

AFAIK the worst traffic is between 9am-10am and 4pm-6pm near the Crescent Shopping Centre, espacially on Friday. Sometimes it takes at least 40 minutes to get to and from city centre.
    Dooradoyle area is rather quiet place.
    My friend is regularly using leisure centre and he is very happy with it, the pool is quite small but anyway it is good value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

AFAIK the worst traffic is between 9am-10am and 4pm-6pm near the Crescent Shopping Centre, espacially on Friday. Sometimes it takes at least 40 minutes to get to and from city centre.
    Dooradoyle area is rather quiet place.
    My friend is regularly using leisure centre and he is very happy with it, the pool is quite small but anyway it is good value for money.
    40 minutes is an exaggeration. I can get from Dooradoyle to nearly anywhere in the city in half that even in peak times. Some roads are slower than others, but there's nearly always traffic free roads in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

40 minutes is an exaggeration. I can get from Dooradoyle to nearly anywhere in the city in half that even in peak times. Some roads are slower than others, but there's nearly always traffic free roads in the city.

Well seeing as the OP's other half is working in Steamboat quay and may be using the Dock road at peak times getting home, then there will be times when a trip to parts of Dooradoyle could take anything from 15 to 40 minutes if the traffic is jammed up badly, which does happen on the Dock road on a regular basis.

Outside of peak times it is a doddle to go from Dooradoyle to Steamboat quay.

OP, best thing for your OH to do is allow more time than she thinks she needs for the first week of going to work there, and after that she will have a clear idea of the traffic during the times that she would be using the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well seeing as the OP's other half is working in Steamboat quay and may be using the Dock road at peak times getting home, then there will be times when a trip to parts of Dooradoyle could take anything from 15 to 40 minutes if the traffic is jammed up badly, which does happen on the Dock road on a regular basis.

Outside of peak times it is a doddle to go from Dooradoyle to Steamboat quay.
    Agreed the Dock Road is atrocious at peak times. Thats why I wouldn't use it. Down by Mary I and Henry street would be way quicker to get to Steamboat Quay. I've made it to Jetland on Fridays with Munster matches on in less than half an hour going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thing is,I dont want to move out there and then to find that the traffic is absolutely horrendous for her everyday.

I work shifts and travel to work around 8am/8pm so traffic shouldnt be much of an issue for myself.

• Advertisement

Agreed the Dock Road is atrocious at peak times. Thats why I wouldn't use it. Down by Mary I and Henry street would be way quicker to get to Steamboat Quay. I've made it to Jetland on Fridays with Munster matches on in less than half an hour going that route.

I was thinking more of her trips home from Steamboat Quay rather than her trips to it.

If she is parking in the Steamboat Quay caropark, then getting onto the Dock Road is a pain in the bum at peak times even using the roundabout.

Mind you with the Tunnel opening in May, it might lighten the Dock road traffic, and make the journey quicker.

Plus if she is used to the area, then she will know what streets she can use or not use to bypass a lot of the dock road at certain times.

jackncoke wrote: »
    Thing is,I dont want to move out there and then to find that the traffic is absolutely horrendous for her everyday.

I work shifts and travel to work around 8am/8pm so traffic shouldnt be much of an issue for myself.

Well if she is already working there, she will have seen the worst of it already, and it should not be much worse than what she deals with at present, maybe adding an extra 10 minutes or 15 minutes onto her drive on bad days.

Best thing for her to do is to test out the new route beforehand then and get used to it and any little shortcuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

I live in Rosbrien and used to work in Henry Street. I had to be at work for half 8 and I never left my house before 10 past or quarter past. Same coming home, finished at 5 and always home for half 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I live in Raheen and worked in city centre. Would rarely use the dock road to travel as I find it slow. Better go the main route and generally traffic is better than Corbally or Dublin Road. Was a member of Dooradoyle Leisure centre , found it a little expensive and pool a bit small , am now joined Maldron which is only 3 mins from Dooradoyle on the byepass.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Hey Jackncoke, i used to live in the same apartments as you, i'm presuming you're still there, i moved out to courtbrack avenue, with the girlfriend, saving €200 a month, and still only a 10 min walk to town, try looking for a place on SCR or courtbrack avenue, prices are good and you avoid all the crescent traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raheen/Dooradoyle are grand places. Steamboat Quay shouldnt be a problem, just head in main road, then if parking in the SQ, head down henry st, turn left on to MtKenneth (road where Dominos is, then take left as you cant go right end of this road, drive up small bit and take next right - Into work/car park no problem! Shouldnt take more than 20-25 mins especially in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

If you are renting there is a fab house which will be available in Log na gCapall at the end of Feb. I am currenlty renting it but have to move :(

Really nice place. Lovely etate. Just off the South Circular. 35minute walk to town, 5 mins to the Crescent.

Keep a eye out, not sure when the landlord will be putting up the add as I just gave hime notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Jood wrote: »
    I live in Rosbrien and used to work in Henry Street. I had to be at work for half 8 and I never left my house before 10 past or quarter past. Same coming home, finished at 5 and always home for half 5.

If you left your house 10 mins later you would know the full furry of the dock road!

I lived in Raheen and worked in shannon a couple of years ago. It was impossible for me to be in work for 9, If i left around 8 i would get to work around 8.25 If i left after 8.20 It would be closser to 9.30 by the time i was in

Advertisement