Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying at TCD

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Im irish but i currently live in the middle east, am in my final year of school and need to select my prefered university with the CAO. The problem is, i havent been home to Ireland for the past 5 years and would like to hear the pros and cons of studying at TCD as I need help making up my mind. It would be interesting to hear from people who attended the open days or similar events... Also helpful would be current students opinions on things like the atmosphere on campus, parties, residences, typ of students, societies, etc... thanks in advance for answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

What kind of courses would be interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

ive already decided on the course, my bad, just cant decide which uni... I would do BESS

Just wanted to say that Trinity's location (right in the city centre) is well worth taking into account. Apart from the pro's of being near just about every kind of shop, cafe, restaurant and bank, the transport is really handy. Any time I have a 9 o clock start I'm so grateful that it's just a short dart or bus away. I suppose it depends where you're living at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Just one point of warning.
    As you haven't lived in the EU for at least 3 out of the last 5 years, you are not eligible for free fees or even EU fees, but you have to pay Non-EU fees.
    For the BESS course this would be 16.008 Euro per yearv(probably to be increased every year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

dont worry my friend is from france but his mother is irish and he is able to avail of the free fees initiative so youll be fine

emmm anywho im studying a business and a language and im in my 2nd yr and bcause of my course i study a large chunk of the bess course

anywho
    pro's

Bess hav really nice hours,
    amazing class parties and or night out.......bess has the reputation of being a doss ahah
    trinity's location
    great atmosphere
    great student life+ trinity ball (europes largest private party)
    great societies n other aspects of student life

cons
    hmmm bess has alot of assignments to do
    but honestly other than that i cant think of many other cons, seriously i find trinity to be pretty class and would reccomend it to anybody

• Advertisement

dont worry my friend is from france but his mother is irish and he is able to avail of the free fees initiative so youll be fine

No he won't. Just because you are an EU citizen doesn't mean you get free fees.
    In order to qualify you must

* be an EU national

AND

* be ordinarily resident in the EU* (this includes the recent accession states) for at least three of the five year preceding admission

As he wasn't in Ireland for the last 5 years and saying he is living in the Middle East, he doesn't qualify for free fees, but has to pay the Non-EU fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

mdebets wrote: »
    No he won't. Just because you are an EU citizen doesn't mean you get free fees.

As he wasn't in Ireland for the last 5 years and saying he is living in the Middle East, he doesn't qualify for free fees, but has to pay the Non-EU fees.

i do realise EU citizens have to pay for fees but a lower rate to intl students, however my friend is able to avail somehow of our free fees due to his mam being irish

i am sure there are ways around this whether putting down an aunts or uncles address in ireland etc

well no matter where in the world i study i wont be able to pay the "free fee" :( thanks for the replies btw

i do realise EU citizens have to pay for fees but a lower rate to intl students, however my friend is able to avail somehow of our free fees due to his mam being irish

i am sure there are ways around this whether putting down an aunts or uncles address in ireland etc

Read the Fee Information on the Trinity Web site.
    Free Fees are for EU citicens who have lived in the EU for at least 3 out of the last 5 years and don't have any other degree.
    EU Fees are for EU citicens who have lived in the EU for at least 3 out of the last 5 years and already have another degree or studying part-time.
    For all other people (including EU and Irish citizens who haven't lived in the EU for at least 3 out of the last 5 years) have to pay the non-EU fees.

And no, just putting the address of an Aunt or Uncle as your address won't do the trick (yes Mr. CAO I have my leaving cert from a High School in the Middle East, but I was living the Dublin for the last 3 years, honestly).

has anybody here lived in the trinity halls accomodation? any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement