Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little game...

Options
  • 14-01-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

This is just a spur of the moment idea so Im gonna try it at the risk of wasting some interweb space...

So what you have to do is give a month and a year of when (if you do) think that life will be discovered outside earth. It may be mars or europa or anything else but some scientists say it could be soon so lets give this a try.

If you are the closest to it you win the spaceship from "flight of the navigator" complete with creatures on board.

This thread can then be bumped when (if?) it happens so I can highlight my victory.

So without further adieu my guess is...

April 2011.

Anyone else want to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Just a wild stab really- March 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

judas1369 wrote: »
    Just a wild stab really- March 2023

Fine but youll have to remember to bump the thread if you get it right yourself! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

August 2040. I'll be 65 then!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

October 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

August 5th 2025

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Stargate wrote: »
    August 5th 2025
    ...don't you mean the 4th? You forgot about the leap year dude... :P - Only joking.

I'm going to say much longer into the future. It'll be an announcement in December of 2051. I am actually pessimistic about us ever finding life in this solar system.

To the OP: Do you mean 'living' life or just evidence of 'past' life? I am assuming you mean living life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

April 2080

The laser amplifying astrological telescope will be invented in 2067, then a decade to build the big orbital one and about 3 years of inspecting planets on the list of 'possibles' before they find one 112 light years away.

Then in march 2082, they'll find one thats only 18 light years away with evidence of industrial civilization.

By the time we see them they will already be in the process of building a transmitter to contact us, having picked up transmissions from Earth with early radios.

If I had to guess, and I'm being highly optimistic here, I'd say in the next two decades. I'm not talking about intelligent extrasolar life, merely the fossils of basic organisms on one of the solar system's planets or moons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I think sooner than many believe. I am having a stab at April 23 2013 at 19:02UT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

lord lucan wrote: »
    August 2040. I'll be 65 then!:eek::eek:

Snap! That's a morbid thought :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

15 June 2019

Kevster wrote: »
    To the OP: Do you mean 'living' life or just evidence of 'past' life? I am assuming you mean living life.

Hmmm... well put it this way, if solid evidence of past life as in a multi-cellular organism is found then that HUGELY bolsters the argument for present life, so we'll go with even evidence of past life(fossils) for the purposes of this thread and if we get that ill start a current extra terrestrial life thread and inform my future son to uphold the thread for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bikeblues

bikeblues wrote: »
    ME wrote:
    if solid evidence of past life as in a multi-cellular organism is found
    Your link wrote:
    The LR experiments on both Landers coughed up puffs of radiolabeled gas - evidence for microorganisms in the soil of Mars.
    But it was no slam-dunk of a discovery.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Most microorganisms are unicellular (single-celled)
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A pedant is a person who is overly concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of his learning.

Try again maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bikeblues

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Savage Cabbage

Advertisement