Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Station pass this evening

Options
  • 14-01-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Looking at very clear sky over Dublin CC.
    There is an ISS pass west to east (17:07 to 17:15, highest altitude 36deg in the south. It should appear to fly high over the Wicklow hills.

Good luck and clear skies
    Calchas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Will be in work unfortunately, and I've got the flu... Meh :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Fog ,fog, fog and yes some more fog!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Good call! ;)

I veiwed this thread at exactly 15:07 so i grabbed the binoculars and ran outside!
    Very clear sky in dublin. That was one of the best sightings ive ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

Just managed to pick it up at 17:15. disappearing to the east of the IFSC.
    With clear skies there will be more chances to spot it in the next week or so.

Calchas

when I get home I'll post the times for the rest of the week, easy to get from the NASA site if any want's to jump ahead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=53.33087&lng=-6.32813&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

That link should work, another pass and 18.09 and the brighter pass at 19.44.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Spotted less than 5 minutes ago coming from a SW direction. Just happened to look outside at the sky didn't know wtf it was. It was moving quicker than the usuall sat that passes by the night sky and was visable for about 45 seconds and faded in about 5 seconds. Hair on neck tbh :).

I tend to use www.calsky.com for ISS passes (and Iridium flares etc) as it is more accurate and detailed than Heavens Above.
    However for ease of use you can't beat the simple tables from NASA.
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

Here are the times for the next week or so.

***** Dublin *****
    rss.gif Subscribe via RSS

[SIZE=-1]THE FOLLOWING ISS SIGHTINGS ARE POSSIBLE FROM WED JAN 13 TO THU JAN 28[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]SATELLITE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]LOCAL[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DURATION[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]MAX ELEV[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]APPROACH[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DEPARTURE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DATE/TIME[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](MIN)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](DEG)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](DEG-DIR)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](DEG-DIR)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Wed Jan 13/06:24 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]53[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]31 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]42 above SE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Thu Jan 14/05:11 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]36[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]26 above SSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12 above E[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Thu Jan 14/06:45 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]60[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]32 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]60 above S[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Fri Jan 15/05:32 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]52[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]38 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]11 above E[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Fri Jan 15/07:06 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]< 1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]38[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]24 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]38 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sat Jan 16/05:54 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]60[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]41 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]18 above ESE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sun Jan 17/06:15 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]53[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]39 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]26 above ESE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Mon Jan 18/06:36 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]36[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]27 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]26 above SSE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tue Jan 19/05:22 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]54[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]39 above WSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]11 above ESE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tue Jan 19/06:57 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]22[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]20 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]20 above S[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Wed Jan 20/05:44 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]38[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]36 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 above SE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Wed Jan 20/07:18 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]11 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 above SSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Thu Jan 21/06:05 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]23[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]22 above SW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 above SSE[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Fri Jan 22/06:27 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12 above SSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 above S[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ISS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sun Jan 24/05:36 PM[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]< 1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]12 above SSW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 above S[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]ONLY DAYS WITH SIGHTING OPPORTUNITIES ARE LISTED[/SIZE]

all the best and clear skies
    Calchas

Note: these are local Irish times not Central European Time

sorry formatting went nuts on the table, just click the nasa link (which updates regularly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

calchas wrote: »
    Looking at very clear sky over Dublin CC.
    There is an ISS pass west to east (17:07 to 17:15, highest altitude 36deg in the south. It should appear to fly high over the Wicklow hills.

Good luck and clear skies
    Calchas

Missed it calchas .was driving :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stargate wrote: »
    Missed it calchas .was driving :eek:

That's no excuse!:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

17:53 this evening, Saturday and again at 19:28 if we can get a clear sky:)

Here's hoping for clear skies tonight, bit cloudy now. I shall be keeping an eye on sat24.

Claering up here in Waterford, Sun is out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Beeker wrote: »
    17:53 this evening, Saturday and again at 19:28 if we can get a clear sky:)

Beginner questions:

Where do i look? (south city dublin)
    What am i looking for?
    And can i see it with the naked eye?

Really want to finally see this thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

king-stew wrote: »
    Beginner questions:

Where do i look? (south city dublin)
    What am i looking for?
    And can i see it with the naked eye?

Really want to finally see this thing!

It's a bright light moving across the sky. It'll come from a southwesterly direction,usually takes about 3-4 minutes to transit across the sky. It's easily seen with the naked eye,looks like a bright star that's moving.

I've been tracking it on this site. http://www.n2yo.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Diamonddec

Have just been watching it in clear skies up here in Northern Ireland ... excellent! :)

It clouded over at 5:45:rolleyes:, but there was a clear spot where it passed overhead. I got the last 40 seconds or so of it. It's over Iran now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

full view in galway but it moved to fast to try and get my new telescope to pick it up. Jaysus it was lifting. cool all the same

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    It clouded over at 5:45:rolleyes:, but there was a clear spot where it passed overhead. I got the last 40 seconds or so of it. It's over Iran now.

I looked but didnt see it! was just looking toward the wicklow mountains and all i could see was clouds!

Just saw the 17:55 pass. Lots of cloud cover in the west. Picked it up about due south, but until it was past Alderbarren it was mostly above cloud. As it passed Betelguise it was still very bright in the sunlight passing just to the south of the red giant. Just after that it quickly faded and disapeared into the earths shadow.

Good to see as the next pass tonight will be hard to see as it rises and passes almost straight away into shadow.

Clear skies
    Calchas

PS King-stew, if you missed it it looks a bit like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32407212@N03/3944927353
    The www.calsky.com site will show you where through (with reference to the stars) the sky it travels

I looked but didnt see it! was just looking toward the wicklow mountains and all i could see was clouds!

It was relatively high in the sky and it passed by Alderbaren

calchas wrote: »

PS King-stew, if you missed it it looks a bit like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32407212@N03/3944927353
    The www.calsky.com site will show you where through (with reference to the stars) the sky it travels

Thanks calchas, very helpful.

On a side note, what the hell was the second light in the video??! :eek:

has anyone here tracked this with a telescope befere. I'm thinking of trying for it but I think it's a fairly tough project

Thanks calchas, very helpful.

On a side note, what the hell was the second light in the video??! :eek:

I'd like to say it's a special case of 'strange orange light seen over Dublin bay'.

But

The video is a time lapse (to try and get the right brightnes and feel) therefore it's faster that the actual pass, the second light is a plane outbound from dublin turning south close to our house. We live under the western flight path.

Aaah, should have figured it out from the cloud movement, thanks!

I'm looking at that link I posted earlier and the ISS is about to pass again. I didn't see anything on nasa's site about this. It's probably too far south though to be worth a mention. It's over france already.

I saw it clearly on that pass, came straight in from the west, but why, when it seems plainly visible in the sky does it suddenly fade?

• Advertisement

I saw it clearly on that pass, came straight in from the west, but why, when it seems plainly visible in the sky does it suddenly fade?

The earth's shadow makes it look like it disapear's. Are you far south? I'm in the big smoke meself but didn't see it on the second pass. Too much cloud and light pollution :rolleyes:.

Advertisement