Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature Records for the last 18 months

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for daily temp records for the last 18 months for Limerick (or anywhere in the Munster area).

Ideally the average daily temperature would be great and also the snow fall if possible.

I've had a look at the MET website but the external website they refer to the - ECA&D doesn't have recent records. Also the MET website has an option to submit a request but for a fee, which wouldn't work for me as this is part of a college project without funding for it.

Ideally an offical source would be what I was looking for but failing that any weather website with records that would suit would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Ops! Found the last 12 months on the MET website. http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Still need a few months further back than that if possible.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Here should allow you to do that. Select a place of interest then down a bit under Current Conditions there's an option for Weather History for This Location. I think you end up with the nearest Met Eireann station though (e.g. Galway gives Shannon history). There are other sites but I can't think of them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I had to get similar data last year for an unfunded research program too.

It cost me €50 and they sent a massive amount of data so it was worth the money. I would have been going around in circles otherwise trying to source it for free.

Only other option would be your university library. The monthly weather bulletin from Met Eireann gives that data for each month but its in paper form obviously. Library should have decades worth of them. If you already have the first twelve months the bulletin might help fill the gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Daily historic temp records on Ogimet and TuTiempo may be of use.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Here should allow you to do that. Select a place of interest then down a bit under Current Conditions there's an option for Weather History for This Location. I think you end up with the nearest Met Eireann station though (e.g. Galway gives Shannon history). There are other sites but I can't think of them at the moment.

That's a great asset. Many thanks.

Do any of the other website have ground temps? The project deals with traction on the ground surfaces over the winter periods.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I had to get similar data last year for an unfunded research program too.

It cost me €50 and they sent a massive amount of data so it was worth the money. I would have been going around in circles otherwise trying to source it for free.

Only other option would be your university library. The monthly weather bulletin from Met Eireann gives that data for each month but its in paper form obviously. Library should have decades worth of them. If you already have the first twelve months the bulletin might help fill the gaps.
    Daily historic temp records on Ogimet and TuTiempo may be of use.

Thanks, I might indeed pay for it. For both the ease of use of the data and the validity later on.

But I'd want to make sure that the project will be accepted by supervisor before spending the money. So that will be my next port of call I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I know its a killer to have to pay for it but probably the best solution. I got lots of datasets free from a lot of organisations for my research once it was for educational purposes.

The OPW, EPA and a satellite imagery company gave me lots a free data and even sent me more than I requested with offers of more.

Met Eireann charged me for what was essentially an Excel spreadsheet of data but I had to have official data due to the level of research I was doing.

Good luck with the project OP.

Advertisement