Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked BMW

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Basically over Xmas I wrote off my car on black ice..no biggie..an old banger.

So I picked up a 1996 BMW 320 saloon last week for €950.00. Great deal. Guy lost his job etc and wanted a quick sell and I needed a quick cheap buy.

- NCT 9/2011
    - 82k miles
    - Was imported from UK originally but all paperwork etc in order.

The car is going fine happy with it. Save it needs proper rear tyres and rear defroster and external ambient temp broken.

Basically there is no way a 14 yr old BMW can have 82k IMO so I am pretty sure it is clocked.

I have no problem with this as such I knew what I was getting into.

Is there any way I can find out the true mileage on the OBC (on board computer)?

ps It was a private deal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It could be genuine. I love the way everyone thinks a low mileage car is automatically clocked. Newer BMW's can have their key checked for mileage. I don't know about E36's. My sis has a 4 year old car with 25k km on it. By the time it will be 14 years old at this rate it will have less mileage than yours. You may have just bought a good un:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Arguably there's no way a bmw can last 14 years without having low mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have a 97 car with genuine 70k on the clock. My mother has an old megane lying around that she bought new in 98, it has 55k on the clock! there's no reason the mileage can't be real....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Did you run a full HPI check on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Did you check the service history? If so, that should back up the mileage - if not, I wouldn't put the mileage at the top of my worry list.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

EPM wrote: »
    It could be genuine. I love the way everyone thinks a low mileage car is automatically clocked. Newer BMW's can have their key checked for mileage. I don't know about E36's. My sis has a 4 year old car with 25k km on it. By the time it will be 14 years old at this rate it will have less mileage than yours. You may have just bought a good un:D

Okay did some research...

The car was imported into Ireland in January 2006 with 82,768 miles on the clock.

It had just over 82,800 when I picked it up last week....:mad:

So basically the last 4 years of driving in Ireland have been written off. I know the guy I bought it from bought it from a mechanic in Waterford..I bought it in Kerry..

Is there any way to check on the computers?

ps It actually doesnt bother me just curious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh, you paid €950 for it. Still a reasonable price for a 140,000 mile car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

Confab wrote: »

Oh yeah...I have no quibbles. I got what I paid for and it's driving perfectly just curiosity getting the better of me that's all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I've a 1990 jaguar xj6 with 18,000 genuine miles on it.
    My sister drivers a 95' Micra with 67,000 miles on it

Still for 950 then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    Quite true. My main worry at this stage would be whether it's been serviced at all during the past four years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

congo_90 wrote: »

Pics please!! :)

Would the NCT have any details on cars they test kept on record...like milage at tests etc as it should've been NCT'd at least twice since it was brought into Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Pics please!! :)

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Oh yeah...I have no quibbles. I got what I paid for and it's driving perfectly just curiosity getting the better of me that's all.:)

While it was not a big deal in this case, I hope you have learned to do all your research BEFORE you buy your next car. You might not be so lucky with the next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

as far as i know there is a small light at the end of the speedo that comes on if someone tries to clock it. At least there is on my one. I take it its a digital odometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

We have a 1999 Micra that comes into the garage with 9000 genuine miles on it, just because mileage is low doesnt mean its clocked:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anan1 wrote: »
    Quite true. My main worry at this stage would be whether it's been serviced at all during the past four years.

At that price I wouldn't care if it had never been serviced. As long as it's running well and keeps running well what does it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

JHMEG wrote: »
    At that price I wouldn't care if it had never been serviced. As long as it's running well and keeps running well what does it matter.

Servicing is what makes it run well, and keeps it running well.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

JustinOval wrote: »
    Servicing is what makes it run well, and keeps it running well.
    +1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We have a 1999 Micra that comes into the garage with 9000 genuine miles on it, just because mileage is low doesnt mean its clocked:D
    Does it come in with that mileage on it each time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Basically over Xmas I wrote off my car on black ice..no biggie..an old banger.

So I picked up a 1996 BMW 320 saloon last week for €950.00. Great deal. Guy lost his job etc and wanted a quick sell and I needed a quick cheap buy.

- NCT 9/2011
    - 82k miles

The car is going fine happy with it. Save it needs proper rear tyres and rear defroster and external ambient temp broken.

Basically there is no way a 14 yr old BMW can have 82k IMO so I am pretty sure it is clocked.

I have no problem with this as such I knew what I was getting into.

Is there any way I can find out the true mileage on the OBC (on board computer)?

ps It was a private deal.

Of couse it could be genuine. EDIT obviously not since you checked, but it very much could have been.

I've a 10 yeart ol Xantia sitting outside with 65k ish on it with a full verified history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

It might be clocked alright. But as many said this is not because a car is old it has to have lots of mileage. My 1998 BMW 5 series just passed 80000 miles the last week. And they are genuine, backed up by a few kg of paper, worth of service history.

Run a scan on it, on the e36, I am not sure if mileage is stored on light control modules etc like on newer cars. Someone might be able to shed some light here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My Alfa is 1999 and has only around 24000 miles on it! Genuine too, it's been in the family since new. I took this picture back in the summer.

dsc00357d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

qz wrote: »
    My Alfa is 1999 and has only around 24000 miles on it! Genuine too, it's been in the family since new. I took this picture back in the summer.

dsc00357d.jpg

Has it been in a garage for repairs 11 months of every year since new?

(Thats crazy low mileage)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

mullingar wrote: »
    Has it been in a garage for repairs 11 months of every year since new?

(Thats crazy low mileage)

No. :rolleyes:

It was just never driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cos the Sellafield gearbox lost all its gears?

Only joking. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

congo_90 wrote: »
    My sister drivers a 95' Micra with 67,000 miles on it

Still for 950 then why not.

pics or it didnt happened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

542.8 miles on a tank of petrol is impressive too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Okay did some research...

The car was imported into Ireland in January 2006 with 82,768 miles on the clock.

It had just over 82,800 when I picked it up last week....:mad:

So basically the last 4 years of driving in Ireland have been written off. I know the guy I bought it from bought it from a mechanic in Waterford..I bought it in Kerry..

punch him in the nose for being a big fat liar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Is there any garage stickers on the car ie on the back window etc or is there a garage name printed on the bottom of number plate?
    If so contact them and they may have a record of milage if they done any work on the car.
    All said and done it seems you got a nice car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Wouldn't start?

Advertisement