Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG TF buying advice

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm taking a 2005 MG tf for a test drive at the weekend. It has low mileage, 1 previous owner, is offered with a warranty, full service history and NCT done.

I just want to know does anyone have suggestions of things I should look out for during the test drive. I asked and the head gasket hasn't gone in it and hasn't been replaced because I heard that this can be a problem with it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

In 2005 they introduced a rear glass window that was heated, if the one you are buying doesn't have this than it is the up to 2005 version, there were other improvements too to the suspension, trim and ventilation so the rear glass windowed ones are worth getting if buying a 2005 model in my opinion. When the TF was introduced in 2002 (replacing the F) the HG was improved with steel locating dowels, this improves engines ability to cope with heat shock. A well maintained, average mileage 2005 model should drive like new and be in mint condition, if it's not walk away and find one that is. I'd love an F or a TF someday, preferably a TF as the old hydragas suspension puts me off the Fs. If the one you are looking at is a VVC ensure there is no rattling from the mechanisms, there shouldn't be on a low miler but its worth checking for.

If you do buy it I would strongly recommend you check the coolant level weekly, they have a low indicator warning but I wouldn't rely on this, frequent oil changes and coolant change every two years by someone who knows what they're at to ensure no air is left in the system. Also don't accelarate agressively when the engine is cold, keep it gentle and below 3000 rpm. The K series engine is wonderful (and reliable) if looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is this the one http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/TF/CABRIOLE/200947195924217/advert?channel=CARS ?

There's another 1005 but it's green, with a black hard top for some reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Whats the price Speedway? Even low mileage late model TF's go for next to nothing these days.

[edit]That's about twice as much as I'd be willing to pay, based on what I've seen them going for on gumtree/donedeal and in the UK.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MG TF buying advice in one word?

Don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

pburns wrote: »
    MG TF buying advice in one word?

Don't...
    constructive post there.... I like the way you backed up your opinion!

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Whats the price Speedway? Even low mileage late model TF's go for next to nothing these days.

[edit]That's about twice as much as I'd be willing to pay, based on what I've seen them going for on gumtree/donedeal and in the UK.[/edit]

You won't get a 2005 TF for €5000 so if someone wants one they will have to pay more.

Regarding the "don't" from the other poster, as said very constructive, please list the reasons why for us please.

RoverJames wrote: »
    You won't get a 2005 TF for €5000 so if someone wants one they will have to pay more.

Regarding the "don't" from the other poster, as said very constructive, please list the reasons why for us please.
    You'll get 2003/2004's for around €4,000, seen around 6 in the last 3 months(most of which had the optional hard top as well as the soft top).

Majority of the ones on carzone are there for upwards of 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Don't do it i used to work on them (a local rover dealer used to sub their warranty work out to us) Rover= Ball of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Thanks for the posts everyone and for the advice. I'm kind of looking for a more "here's what to look out for when test driving it" as opposed to don't buy it! :)

Thanks though for all the advice, very helpful RoverJames cheers!

Well all i can say if you like spending lots of money repairing

cars buy it

• Advertisement

Quite often the problems with Rovers are due to leaks in the cooling system (radiator, inlet manifold gaskets, water pumps etc). When the car overheats and the HG goes many mechanics who repair them fix the head gasket but sometimes do not find the initial cause of the coolant loss, therefore the HG goes again. These mechanics then refer to the car as a ball of ****e :D

The one I bought was after getting a reconditioned engine fitted, the HG went on it after a month or so, the previous owner got it fixed again, the 2nd time the mechanic replaced both the rad and water pump. The car still was losing coolant and I bought it. Leaking from the inlet manifold, very very easy fix and car fine for the last 3000 miles.

No doubt the mechanic put the issue down to the car being a ball of ****e rather than his own troubleshooting skills being rather poor :)

bryaner wrote: »
    Don't do it i used to work on them (a local rover dealer used to sub their warranty work out to us) Rover= Ball of ****e
    So, you think they're unreliable because you received warranty work for them?

You do realise how silly that logic is don't you?

Of course you see a lot of ones with problems, people have to bring their cars to you to get them fixed under warranty :s

It's like a hotpoint engineer saying he fixes a lot of hotpoint washing machines under warranty, so they must be ****

Speedway wrote: »
    Thanks for the posts everyone and for the advice. I'm kind of looking for a more "here's what to look out for when test driving it" as opposed to don't buy it! :)

If it's a good condition low mileage one it should drive like new, nothing in particular to look for really. Is it a reputable garage ? Just beware of it being in a crash before etc. Also as I mentioned the glass rear window shows it is the 2005 on model, they were introduced in very early 2005 but dealers would have had 2004 unregistered stock in showrooms that would be reg'd in 2005.

Thanks RoverJames. Yep it's a reputable garage. It's the one someone found on carzone above http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/TF/CABRIOLE/200947195924217/advert?channel=CARS

Cheers everyone appreciate the advice.

We did warranty work for a lot of different dealers i.e different vehicles

and rover were 5/1 in amount (suited us nicely busy busy) in my 35 years

in the trade i never saw such badly made motors as for cylinder head work

they have left the rover factory with pulled head bolts ffs muck i tell you

muck

VOSA published MOT failure rates for all cars up until 2006.

Guess what, MG TF doesn't do badly at all.

(http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT_Make_Model_Comp_2007.pdf for those interested)

So, you think they're unreliable because you received warranty work for them?

You do realise how silly that logic is don't you?

Of course you see a lot of ones with problems, people have to bring their cars to you to get them fixed under warranty :s

It's like a hotpoint engineer saying he fixes a lot of hotpoint washing machines under warranty, so they must be ****[/QUOTE

Can you read?? rover had to sub their warranty work out to us

they were that overran with it!! comprehend

(http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT_Make_Model_Comp_2007.pdf for those interested)

I take it you drive a rover

Speedway wrote: »
    Thanks RoverJames. Yep it's a reputable garage. It's the one someone found on carzone above http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/TF/CABRIOLE/200947195924217/advert?channel=CARS

Cheers everyone appreciate the advice.

Nice car, though you won't get it or another 2005 for €5000 I wouldn't pay €9500 for one, also I reckon that is not a glass rear windscreen.

I take it you drive a rover

I do, I've had 5 so far, 3 K series ones, an L series and a 1.8 Honda engined one. Great cars, all 5 of them, also I a visit a few Rover Forums and most folk find them easy to work on and reliable once looked after.

• Advertisement

They mustn't be a ball of ****e so, or maybe competent mechanics worked on those ones :D

They mustn't be a ball of ****e so, or maybe competent mechanics worked on those ones :D

Well even the FULLY QUALIFIED rover mechanics found them to be balls

of sh ite oh yea easy to work on no problem, but this should not be the case

with cars under 2 years of age, all they should have seen is a standard service

or 2 and maybe a set of pads not major warranty work end of!

A chap I know served his time in a Rover dealer and had huge fondness for the brand, he is now a tech in a BMW garage and finds taking the heads off 335s with low mileage due to exhaust valves not seating properly a bit of a pain, also takes 4 days to do turbo wastegates on the diesels, much of these are under warranty too, a bit beyond an oil change and a set of pads, are Bimmers balls of sh1te too ?

In my experience newer cars have more niggledy problems than 3-7 year old cars.

There's also the fact, if absolutely anything goes wrong or seems wrong while you're under warranty, you bring it in.

As I said, look at the MOT failure rates and compare it to other cars.

A chap I know served his time in a Rover dealer and had huge fondness for the brand, he is now a tech in a BMW garage and finds taking the heads off 335s with low mileage due to exhaust valves not seating properly a bit of a pain, also takes 4 days to do turbo wastegates on the diesels, much of these are under warranty too, a bit beyond an oil change and a set of pads, are Bimmers balls of sh1te too ?

Yea beemers went to fook after 04

I machined the seats on 530d heads with a mira centronic to

+/- 1/4 a thou of an inch know all about them

He's a bit slow on the wastegate

He's a bit slow on the wastegate
    Yeah, apparently he has to do it bit by bit and the Master Technician has a looksee every so often.

In my experience newer cars have more niggledy problems than 3-7 year old cars.

There's also the fact, if absolutely anything goes wrong or seems wrong while you're under warranty, you bring it in.

As I said, look at the MOT failure rates and compare it to other cars.

Fully agree the newer they get is seems more trouble is en route

But looking at rovers over the years they are just made with bad materials

front to back

• Advertisement

actually, aside from the rear windscreen. Is there any way to tell which version of the TF it is. There's loads listed on here with the 1.8 engine with various BHP ratings. How can I tell which one it is when I look at the car?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/summary.aspx?model=1205

The dealer looked at the log book and service history etc and wasn't able to tell.

Advertisement