Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New X3

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I have tentatively agreed with a dealer to buy a new BMW X3 which will be delivered in march.

The dealer said the new X3 model would not be available until 2011.

After researching the internet, it appears that the new X3 might be realeased in 2010 after all but no date is confirmed. I rang bmw customer services who said they have no info and would normally find out at least 6 months in advance. When pressed they said that march/sept are the normal release months and it could be sept this year - but again they have no info.

If it was march next year I would buy as I would have a full year before new model came out (probably only keeping it for 3 years anyway) but if it was sept I probably wouldnt.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be quite iffy about the new one without having driven it - the current X3 isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I hope you got a good deal. A really, really good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd hazard a guess it'll be released in Sept but won't really be around in numbers until jan 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I don't think buying an X3 within a year of a new model being released is wise, they are not a sought after car 2 nd hand at the best of times so an old model will have depreciated quite a lot compared to a newer one in 3 or so years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What about an X1?

If I didn't need to go off-road i'd buy an E90/1, if I did i'd buy a Subaru. Simple, really.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anan1 wrote: »
    If I didn't need to go off-road i'd buy an E90/1, if I did i'd buy a Subaru.

The guy hasn't asked for advice about other cars - as far as I can make out he's asked for advice on an estimate launch time for the X3. He wants a 4x4 whether he's going off road or not. Not everyone who does buy a 4x4 has to justify the need for going into the wilderness - most of the people who bought X3's where I worked bought them because they could step into them, as opposed to climbing down - eliminating back problems.

The guy hasn't asked for advice about other cars - as far as I can make out he's asked for advice on an estimate launch time for the X3. He wants a 4x4 whether he's going off road or not. Not everyone who does buy a 4x4 has to justify the need for going into the wilderness - most of the people who bought X3's where I worked bought them because they could step into them, as opposed to climbing down - eliminating back problems.
    Guess who got up out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!;) My reading is that the OP is asking for advice on whether to buy the current X3. Having considered an X3 myself, I am advising him accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Anan1 wrote: »
    Having considered an X3 myself
    For shame...

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    For shame...
    I've considered doing a lot more shameful sh1t than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

most of the people who bought X3's where I worked bought them because they could step into them, as opposed to climbing down - eliminating back problems.

Eliminating back problems? An X3? You sure?!!

The ride is awful, especially on the M-sport with runflats. I mean its really really bad, you would only be prepared to live with it in a 500bhp+ sports car.

I would reckon it could destroy your back altogether!!

Mr.David wrote: »
    Eliminating back problems? An X3? You sure?!!

Have you owned one? I had one for 3 months, and it was very comfortable. And yes, eliminating back problems. A lot of older people have issues sitting down into saloon BMW's, stepping into a 4x4, or an MPV sorts that.
    The ride is awful, especially on the M-sport with runflats. I mean its really really bad, you would only be prepared to live with it in a 500bhp+ sports car.

No one's talking about an M sport. The SE with 16" Wheels is a comfortable car to drive. That's like saying all Range Rovers are uncomfortable because someone once drove a Sport with 22inch wheels, sport suspension and low profile tires.
    I would reckon

And therein lies the problem - 'reckon'. Boards motoring section is constantly full of people staying their opinion as fact. If you've owned an X3, by all means tell us your experiences, but if you're just regurgitating what Jeremy, or Tiff Needel says it's going to be of no help to the OP.

I should point out that although I'm defending the ride quality of the X3, I'm not defending the car itself. I didn't like the cheapness of the interior cabin materials. If I had to buy one with my own money - I probably wouldn't. Fingers crossed the new one will use some better ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

And yes, eliminating back problems. A lot of older people have issues sitting down into saloon BMW's, stepping into a 4x4, or an MPV sorts that.

Ah come off it! Sort your back by sitting into my x3. :D
    At a big stretch it may be a bit more comfortable sitting in initially but it does not "sort" any back problems.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Ah come off it! Sort your back by sitting into my x3. :D
    At a big stretch it may be a bit more comfortable sitting in initially but it does not "sort" any back problems.

Read the sentence again. It eliminates the back pain caused by sitting down into a low car for people who really do suffer with lower back pain. My mother for example raved about the X3 when I had it, she used to wince with pain every time she got into my MINI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Have you owned one? I had one for 3 months, and it was very comfortable. And yes, eliminating back problems. A lot of older people have issues sitting down into saloon BMW's, stepping into a 4x4, or an MPV sorts that.

No one's talking about an M sport. The SE with 16" Wheels is a comfortable car to drive. That's like saying all Range Rovers are uncomfortable because someone once drove a Sport with 22inch wheels, sport suspension and low profile tires.

And therein lies the problem - 'reckon'. Boards motoring section is constantly full of people staying their opinion as fact. If you've owned an X3, by all means tell us your experiences, but if you're just regurgitating what Jeremy, or Tiff Needel says it's going to be of no help to the OP.

Right. Im not "reckoning" - The car I drove was the diesel with the optional M pack which included suspension upgrades. I had it on a track along with lots of other cars. It handled superbly - like a well sorted saloon, but the ride was unacceptable. I dont think its irrelevant - lots of people get the M pack.

Granted the standard car would ride better, but Im just sharing my experiences.

I dont think its irrelevant - lots of people get the M pack.

Not in Ireland and not according to the sales figures they don't. When we were selling the X3, we were selling at least 4/5 SE's for every M Sport we sold. There were people who came in buying the M Sport body kit alright to keep the looks and the better ride quality of the SE.

We're all getting into some fairly heavy-duty guesswork here re the OP's requirements. I think if the OP were to tell us what's important to them in a car we'd be a lot better able to give good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Read the sentence again. It eliminates the back pain caused by sitting down into a low car for people who really do suffer with lower back pain. My mother for example raved about the X3 when I had it, she used to wince with pain every time she got into my MINI.

Then why not get something less vulgar and offensive to other road users like a Renault Scenic or Ford C-Max? You don't need to buy a big, polluting, ghastly lump of metal like an SUV to get that sort of driving position you know.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Then why not get something less vulgar and offensive to other road users like a Renault Scenic or Ford C-Max? You don't need to buy a big, polluting, ghastly lump of metal like an SUV to get that sort of driving position you know.

It was free, that's why. And TBH, I'd find a Scenic far more vulgar and offensive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

And TBH, I'd find a Scenic far more vulgar and offensive :D

No more so than the horrible little X3. That car has to be the pinnacle of bad taste and mindless badge snobbery.

I get the feeling you hate SUVs just because they're SUVs.

Who wants to drive a people carrier though, awful things. People are entitled to drive what they want. If I wanted a high driving position or 7 seats (obviously not in the x3) I would by an suv. I wouldnt buy an x3 though. I would get a 2nd hand X5, Q7 or Touareg. On the other hand if I wanted a serious off-roader I buy a defender or a Hilux or some thing along those lines. At the end of the day its up to the op to buy what he likes.

No more so than the horrible little X3. That car has to be the pinnacle of bad taste and mindless badge snobbery.
    Let's just leave the aesthetics of the X3 to the OP, ok? There are good reasons why some of us dislike large SUVs in an urban environment, but I don't think that's relevant to the car in question. Now, back on topic!

+1 Nox. God if anyone who bought something different was accused of badge snobbery and ended up driving a I'm trapped in surburban life with kids and a dog MPVs, what a boring world we'd live in.

Its not you buying the car Volvoman, it's the OP. If he wants to buy an X3, let him. If he wants to buy a Skoda Superb, let him. Different people like different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

On a slightly more relevant note, how does a 1-2year old X5 compare to a 2010 X3 pricewise? The newer model X5s look great IMO (and Im not a SUV fan as such) and I would suspect way better finished and overall a much better car (as it should be, its higher in the lineup).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wouldn't buy a runout model of anything unless I was getting a seriously good deal.

in this case you must also factor in the X3 was never very highly though of, the market for 2nd hand SUV's is in dire straights and the fact the current X1 is cheaper, no doubt as good and from what I can see as big.

Burning the cash would be cheaper imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I would buy any stinking rancid dog turd if it had a BMW badge on it. However the X3 is not a good car. Its too small, underpowered for its weight in the 2.0d, the one I drove tramlined like a bastard and was very skittish like the shocks were not rebounding fast enough, poorly equiped as standard and ugly. Get a e90 its virtually the same size. Saw a new X1 reciently, very nice looking car with better engines. Even better get a X5, there are lots around for good money these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darragh123

Sorry was away from computer.

Basically I want a suv first of all. Not for off road-just for country road driving. Not strictly neccessary but that is the situation.

I like the x3 at the moment and price is good as far as I can see (26.5k stg). Can't find any info on net about release of new model which is my main concern.

Thanks for all replies so far. A little concerned that impressions of x3 are so bad though.

Advertisement