Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would anyone want to do this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

attention seeking? sadly, its not uncommon in the church. there is no theological or even strictly liturgical sense to it. it seems in fact to be a sub-christian practice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Well. It brings me to a funny story I heard about the Episcopal Church in the US. In a church near Silicon Valley, when they had their harvest service, they decided to change the service so as to give thanks for their numerous computers, and electronic products that had helped them through the year. Eventually they decided to go back to the aul' traditional way to decorate the church with farm produce.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it was such a bad idea to offer God thanks for what they had to do their work with. It depends on the context I think. It could be one of those Anglican myths you hear in the church, but it's still one worthy of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The harvest festival thing is more about giving thanks rather than actually blessing the fruit and veg - so I guess updating it in an urban setting makes sense.

But the practice of blessing, or dedicating, inanimate objects is a bit harder to understand.

I can see the point of dedicating something to God if it is going to be used solely for his service. For example, dedicating a church building or a church minibus. But I have more problems with the idea of blessing people's personal possessions. It seems more akin to pagan folk religion than to Christianity.

Advertisement