Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indirect heating cylinders in America

Options
  • 14-01-2010 6:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Y'know those cylinders we have in ireland with an electric element and also a coiled pipe for heating off a boiler or solar panels

They are impossible to find over here in Florida.

All they have are sealed up electric-only tanks. These are insulated and everything but they don't have a removable element or the coiled pipe. -

There's even a company that does solar heating systems over here that retrofits these type of water heaters but I'd say its a messy job. its not even a coil they put in, just a piece of pipe that goes from top to bottom of the tank.

is it a conspiracy? almost all water here is heated electrically except for some swimming pools. and with the amount of sun we get it would make sense to use solar heating, but that would be unpatriotic and unsupporting of all things that are Great, Free and Brave.

i can buy evacuated tube or normal solar panels but most of these come from other states and strangely enough they are the states bordering canada. i just cant get my head around it. electricity isn't cheap here either, cheaper than in ireland but certainly not cheap.

some days i think i should import a container of european 90 litre tanks, the type that can be connected directly to the mains because nobody has the tank in the attic here, lest the water picks up some free solar heat and deprives the local privatised electricity company of the money they deserve.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Try and pick up a copy of "Home Power" magazine, it is a US based publication . http://www.homepower.com/home/ Its all about solar pv and solar thermal systems from an american angle. There might be local suppliers listed for some of the kit you are looking for.

Advertisement