Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pocketstation

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

No, I don't mean the PSP. :p

Back in the days of the PS1, sony released a little handheld device that plugged into the memory card slot. It had an LCD screen. Some Playstation discs had inbuilt mini games that would be downloaded onto it. I remember mention years ago of some interactive Chocobo game that would load onto it when you connected it to Final Fantasy VIII. - As a result, I really wanted one.

Waited ages but the western release was canned. I totally forgot about this little device until now! Seems they were quite popular in Japan.

Anyway, my query being - Does anyone have one? And does anyone know if the mini games were accidentally left in any western releases? I think there may have been compatibility with Metal Gear Solid. /Runs off to google.

Anyway, here's one on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PS-Pocket-Station-white-PocketStation-Japan-boxed_W0QQitemZ230421982508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item35a6386d2c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Heard about it but never seen one. Actually forgot about it until now. I wonder if you have to have the Jap version of the game to get the Pocketstation working?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Heard about it but never seen one. Actually forgot about it until now. I wonder if you have to have the Jap version of the game to get the Pocketstation working?
    Some games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 I think need the jap version.Others though work in any region

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Weird to think there was possibly an extra game for this included on some of your ps1 discs but you never got a chance to play it. Or even knew it was there.

Here we go -

Compatible games

* All Japan Pro Wrestling[12]
    * Ape Escape (Japanese version)
    * Arc the Lad III
    * Armored Core: Master of Arena (Japanese version)[12]
    * Battle Bug Story[12]
    * Be Pirates![12]
    * Brightis
    * Burger Burger 2[12]
    * Chocobo Stallion
    * Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (Japanese version)[12]
    * Dance Dance Revolution 3rdMix
    * Dance Dance Revolution 4thMix
    * Dance Dance Revolution 5thMix
    * Digimon Tamers: Pocket Culumon (Japanese version)
    * Dokodemo Issho[12]
    * Final Fantasy VIII[8]
    * Fire Pro G
    * Fish Hunter[12]
    * Gallop Racer 3[12]
    * Grandia (Japanese version)
    * Hello Kitty: White Present[12]
    * I.Q. Final[12]
    * Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu[13]
    * JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Japanese version)
    * The Legend of Dragoon (Japanese version only)[14]
    * Legend of Mana
    * Love Hina 2
    * Lunatic Dawn 3[12]
    * LMA Manager
    * Kyro-chan's Print Club[12]
    * Metal Gear Solid: Integral[15]
    * Mister Prospector[12]
    * The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (Japanese version)
    * Monster Race[12]
    * Monster Rancher 2 (Japanese version)[12]
    * Monster World[12]
    * Pi to Mail[12]
    * Pocket Dungeon[12]
    * Pocket MuuMuu[16]
    * Pocket Tuner[17]
    * Prologue[12]
    * Racing Lagoon
    * RayCrisis
    * Remote Control Dandy
    * R4: Ridge Racer Type 4[15]
    * Rockman Complete Works[15]
    * SaGa Frontier 2[9]
    * Shop Keeper[12]
    * Spyro the Dragon (Japanese version)[12]
    * Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (Japanese version)
    * Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Japanese version)[15]
    * Super Robot Wars Alpha
    * Tales of Eternia (Japanese version)
    * Theme Aquarium[12]
    * Tokimeki Memorial 2
    * World Neverland 2[12]
    * World Stadium 3[12]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i have a ps1 third party memory card here that for as long as i can remember shows up as a pocketstation in my ps2.

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    i have a ps1 third party memory card here that for as long as i can remember shows up as a pocketstation in my ps2.

That's really odd. Any idea what brand the memory card is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

possibly logic3, i havent seen the card around in quiet some time but i know its in the big closet of wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

weeder wrote: »
    possibly logic3, i havent seen the card around in quiet some time but i know its in the big closet of wires.

Probably just a crossed contact in the unused part of the pinout.

Wasn't the Dreamcast VMU yoke a pretty similar thing? I remember seeing one of these years ago in Mr.Calculator or somewhere and thinking it was nothing more than a jumped up tamagotchi - the games looked hilariously rudimentary and the only point was to unlock stuff that you could do just as easily with a gameshark or similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice: Don't bother.

You can play the FFVIII game on the PC version and it's absolute scutter.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ah Retr0, you're really not a collector are you? :P

It's not always about a game/console being good. I collect 32X games for feck sake! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Retr0gamer wrote: »

..................*hides copy* :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah Retr0, you're really not a collector are you? :P

It's not always about a game/console being good. I collect 32X games for feck sake! lol

Yeah i'm a bit weird. I'd only collect a game if I think it's worth playing :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I believe the Western releases of the Crash Bandicoot games that supported it left in the Pocketstation compatibility. Just beware when buying though as there are a lot of fakes around.

Advertisement