Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tag Heuer purchase

• 13-01-2010 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I posted this to another thread on a different forum and was advised to try here

Got engaged last year and want a Tag Grand Carrera for the wedding (specifically this one). Retail price in Weir's is €4070.

Budget is about 3k, haven't haggled or played one retailer off against each other yet. Just visited Weir's to get the retail price. Went to €3600 for cash straight away (I didn't even ask, he said retail is 4070, "we can do it for 3600 if you pay cash"). Just wondering how low do people think they'd go? Is 3k too low to hope for if I pay in 50 euro notes?

Retail price in the UK is £3500 so Belfast is also an option, There is a tax free shop in Heathrow where you don't pay VAT. Would you still get a cash discount in a tax free shop? (have e-mailed them but their reply didn't answer the cash discount question)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

Hello,

I bought my Tag in Mercers in Enniskillen about 2 years ago. At the time they were the only official Tag dealer in the North. Got 10% of the list price. They were very professional. Worth a trip up, only 2.5 hours from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Why would people in this day and age give a reduced price for cash, I'd guess the manager has a certain discretion with the price and can give 10% or whatever it may be off and can give any reason he sees fit, one day it's if you pay cash next day it's if you're wearing a blue sweater :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

MooseJam wrote: »
    Why would people in this day and age give a reduced price for cash, I'd guess the manager has a certain discretion with the price and can give 10% or whatever it may be off and can give any reason he sees fit, one day it's if you pay cash next day it's if you're wearing a blue sweater :)

I suppose if you pay cash rather than credit card it saves the store between 1 and 2% on fees. Also taking a cheque these days is risky. You can bet though that there is at least 15% there that the retailer can play around with. At €3600 I'm sure he is still making good profit. BTW if he said 3600 he surely only expects you to pay 3500 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

Hi

I posted this to another thread on a different forum and was advised to try here

Got engaged last year and want a Tag Grand Carrera for the wedding (specifically this one). Retail price in Weir's is €4070.

Budget is about 3k, haven't haggled or played one retailer off against each other yet. Just visited Weir's to get the retail price. Went to €3600 for cash straight away (I didn't even ask, he said retail is 4070, "we can do it for 3600 if you pay cash"). Just wondering how low do people think they'd go? Is 3k too low to hope for if I pay in 50 euro notes?

Retail price in the UK is £3500 so Belfast is also an option, There is a tax free shop in Heathrow where you don't pay VAT. Would you still get a cash discount in a tax free shop? (have e-mailed them but their reply didn't answer the cash discount question)

Its on sale in the link you sent for $3500, wouldnt that now meet your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

oisin_t wrote: »

plus the 21% vat customs will charge you when it arrives here
    you will always get 15% discount on a tag or an omega if you ask so im sure he will do it for 3,500, maybe not much less tho.

if i was you i would try watchfinder.co.uk and see what they can offer to do it for, im guessing if uk retail is 3,500 that they can do it for nearer £3000 and with the exchange rate so good at the moment you should save a few quid.

on a seperate point, if spending that kind of money i would suggest taking a look around at other manufacturers, £3k will get you a pre owned rolex submariner, various iwcs etc, and they would all be a step ahead of the tag.

Im not at all saying that there is anything wrong with TH, i own a couple, bit i wouldnt spend 3k on one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

buck65 wrote: »
    I suppose if you pay cash rather than credit card it saves the store between 1 and 2% on fees

wow wouldn't have thought shops would have to pay for the service, bit mean on the part of the cc companies, making money on both ends, they should be happy with the interest they get on the purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Cyrus wrote: »
    if i was you i would try watchfinder.co.uk and see what they can offer to do it for, im guessing if uk retail is 3,500 that they can do it for nearer £3000 and with the exchange rate so good at the moment you should save a few quid.

sticker price in Heathrow is ST£3044 (and that was when VAT was 15% not 17.5%). When I e-mailed them they answered all my questions apart from the cash discount one!

Anyone I know who gives a discount for cash usually declares the item was sold for less than it actually was and pockets the difference tax free. Not saying that this is what the jewellers are doing though!!

Cyrus wrote: »
    on a seperate point, if spending that kind of money i would suggest taking a look around at other manufacturers, £3k will get you a pre owned rolex submariner, various iwcs etc, and they would all be a step ahead of the tag.

Never been a fan of Rolex, no idea why just never liked them

However I may look into other brands before purchasing

oisin_t wrote: »

Sales conditions and more importantly guarantee conditions are also a bit onerous as well as the excise etc to be paid
    Authenticity & Service Guarantee
    We make continuous efforts to provide the highest quality of service with the lowest prices. We value you, our customer, and therefore offer the highest quality of customer service.
    All Watches Sold By AuthenticWatches.com Have Their Original Manufacturer Serial Numbers Intact.
    All Watches Sold By AuthenticWatches.com Are Guaranteed To Be Original & Authentic.
    All orders from AuthenticWatches.com will come with a Certificate of Authenticity. This certificate, with an authorized signature from AuthenticWatches.com, will verify that the watch purchased is guaranteed to be authentic. AuthenticWatches.com does not sell products in accordance to manufacturer suggested retail pricing, therefore warranties offered are facilitated through AuthenticWatches.com to save you both time and money. We have found that forwarding timepieces to the manufacturer generally took far too long to be worked on, due to manufacturers outsourcing their repairs to authorized service centers. The turn-around period for a general repair took anywhere from 8-12 weeks, often times with extra costs involved; whereas, a general repair* processed by AuthenticWatches.com generally takes 4-6 weeks. Based on our years of experience in our industry, we have developed relationships with multiple service centers to both expedite any repair, and lessen the costs involved in non-warranty issues.
    We match, or exceed the length of warranty to the amount provided by the manufacturer who produced the watch. Often times, we offer an extra year of warranty in comparison to that of the manufacturers. After any warranty through AuthenticWatches.com expires, you are welcomed to forward your timepiece in for repairs (only if the watch was initially purchased from us) at cost, meaning you will pay exactly what we do and not a penny more. It is just another way we can make sure you have an excellent overall experience with our company.
    Complimentary bracelet sizing is offered at the time of purchase on all timepieces. Please state the size in inches. Free sizing means that we will remove links to fit the stated size. All links that are removed will be included in the package, however, no additional links will be provided if none are removed. There is an extra charge in the case additional links are needed. Free bracelet sizing does not guarantee a perfect fit; it is an estimated measurement, and we are not responsible for any readjustment fees. Shipping priorities do precede bracelet sizing requests. This means that if it is deemed that your package will not arrive on the date promised due to time restraints, we will not size the watch and ship it for arrival on the date promised. If a sized watch is returned for a refund or exchange there will be a $20 fee.
    Watch pictures on our website are not the actual picture of the watch which will be shipped. The actual watch shipped may have a slight variance than the picture shown on our website. All sizing specified on our website are approximate.
    We are not affiliated or authorized dealers of any of the timepiece manufacturers advertised.

* Warranties only cover manufacturer defects and will not cover any physical damage caused by the user.

Has anyone heard of this crowd? Wary of buying online but the price is pretty keen

Would online prices be any good to use as a haggling tool?

• Advertisement
Advertisement