Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychotherapy/Counselling- Where to start??

• 13-01-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey all,
    I'm a graduate of UCC, with a Masters in Arts. Graduated about 2 years ago, and in the mean time, have become really drawn to becoming a psychotherapist. However, after researching all the different avenues I'm now totally confused. Between IACP, IAPP, NCII, I can't figure out where to start. Obviously I don't want to waste time or money doing a course that won't be recognised, but at this stage I'm not even sure who I'm meant to be recognised by!!
    HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

You need something recognised by the NCII (as far as I know), perhaps the PSI might accredit psychotherapy courses too. Any course that lasts less than 2 years is probably not accredited, and anything just accredited by FETAC is not worth touching. I know these are only broad guidlines! Your best bet is to inquire to universities like Trinity, UCD and DCU as well as possibly Dublin Business School. Taking a cheaper and quicker option will more than likely mean you wont be prepared enough for a career in this field. Look at it this way: if you needed a therapist would you choose one with 1-2 years training, or one with 3+ years and perhaps a doctorate degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fembo

Well as NCII is aligned with HETAC and FETAC, would that not make it one to avoid? I know I'm looking at investing a few years into study, I just don't want to waste time/money on gaining qualifications that won't really benefit me in the long run!

Thanks for tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hm. I didn't know that :o you might get some better (ie accurate) advice over in the Psychology forum, I got some great tips about Clinical there. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sallyann23

At all costs avoid NCII. They take 18 year olds off CAO into their courses while the respected courses have a minimum age of over 21. They have a do-it yourself accrediting body which is not recognised by anyone. Theres a good web-site www.iappcare.com where the established medical profession tell people who THEY recognise, what courses etc. I learned all this the really hard way and initially bought into the NCII hype. I'm really happy with the course I'm doing now. Sally Ann

Advertisement