Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Cutbacks

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hard to know how this will really effect things until it's in full swing for a bit but still you don't like to see it.

Anyone brave enough to venture a guess as to what the SU will do about this....;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

devinejay wrote: »
    Anyone brave enough to venture a guess as to what the SU will do about this....

Somebody will make a speech reminding us that gender is still a social construct despite the insidiousness of late capitalist hegemony and the president will talk about hurling or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Well, what do you want them to do?

Should Ashley start a thread on boards, being a little b*tch about the whole thing? Or should Conan start being an internet warrior?

If you want to criticise the SU,(and believe me it's not difficult), then why did you choose a campaign on a topic that directly affects students, and is directly related to their studies?

Isn't the union supposed to represent students interests on these topics?

Surely we can all accept that a decrease in opening/sevice hours is a bad thing for students? Why, then, can we not accept it is likely to campaign against these decreases?

As an aside, not much will happen for at least a week, as the assistant campaign manager is out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Sorry dan if you misunderstood my intentions, I started this thread as a place to discuss the library cutbacks and how they might effect us as the opening hours debate has also been discussed. The SU comment was a light-hearted aside because....well because I'm always giving out about the SU and it would seem wrong not to! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

The Students' Union isn't the one people should be focused on. The union in the library runs the place, and it shows. Trinity library is in a better financial and staffing condition than UCD library, yet you don't see the same kind of disruptions to services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The email makes no mention of counter services in the John Stearne being cut back - I wonder whether this is in fact the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

dan719 wrote: »
    As an aside, not much will happen for at least a week, as the assistant campaign manager is out of the country.

The Assistant Campaign Manager being off skiing really isn't gonna affect what the SU does with regards to the library. He could have been off skiing all year frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Trinity library is in a better financial and staffing condition than UCD library, yet you don't see the same kind of disruptions to services.

UCD Library Buildings closed every day this week and last week at 5pm. They were not open last weekend and will not be open this weekend. Apart from that, their opening hours hardly differ at all from those in TCD.
    http://www.ucd.ie/library/about/opening_hours/index.html

Because their collections are a lot smaller than Trinity's they don't have the expense of servicing a bookstacks storage facility (apart from their rare books) - the collection is small enough to enable all their books to be displayed on their shelves.

Unshelved wrote: »
    the collection is small enough to enable all their books to be displayed on their shelves.

*Makes mental note of this fact for next drunken UCD vs. TCD debate*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The Students' Union isn't the one people should be focused on. The union in the library runs the place, and it shows. Trinity library is in a better financial and staffing condition than UCD library, yet you don't see the same kind of disruptions to services.
    Are TCD library staff in a different union to UCD library staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

devinejay wrote: »
    *Makes mental note of this fact for next drunken UCD vs. TCD debate*

Make sure to bring up the copyright library bit. Especially where you can't take Non-non-fiction out of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Unshelved wrote: »
    UCD Library Buildings closed every day this week and last week at 5pm. They were not open last weekend and will not be open this weekend. Apart from that, their opening hours hardly differ at all from those in TCD.
    http://www.ucd.ie/library/about/opening_hours/index.html
    My point is that we haven't seen the same type of cutbacks in UCD despite the library in UCD being more heavily affected by staff shortages.
    Because their collections are a lot smaller than Trinity's they don't have the expense of servicing a bookstacks storage facility (apart from their rare books) - the collection is small enough to enable all their books to be displayed on their shelves.
    Really has very little to do with anything. Trinity library is in the same position re: bookstacks as it was before the cutbacks. This extra expense is nothing new. If anything having a larger staff should make an organisation more capable to absorb staff shortages without affecting services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

Every Student who doesn't use the library doesn't care.
    On The Balls is a student.
    On The Balls doesn't use the library.
    On The Balls doesn't care.

Personally I think we should burn down the library. I ****ing hate all the fags who just say "Roysh I'm off to the library now. I'll give you a call later on and we can go get coffee!".

Is it just me or do people who go to the library think they are the ****?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Well the library opens at 9.30 every morning..whan do we start to get busy?
    Usually between 1pm and 3pm...go figure.

The library is one of those services that should always be "just there", available to aid you in your work whenever you might need it. That might be a pretty narrow outlook in the face of the costs of running a library, but if you start opening the library for peak times and "when it's busy" it would become unusable for a lot of people, not only because not everyone is in college at peak times but also because the library as a workspace would become very unpleasant if everyone was trying to use it at once.

I suppose in that respect I'm glad that they're cutting back on services if it's a sacrifice that has to be made if opening hours are to remain unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    Every Student who doesn't use the library doesn't care.
    On The Balls is a student.
    On The Balls doesn't use the library.
    On The Balls doesn't care.

Personally I think we should burn down the library. I ****ing hate all the fags who just say "Roysh I'm off to the library now. I'll give you a call later on and we can go get coffee!".

Is it just me or do people who go to the library think they are the ****?
    Warning for trolling. If you genuinely hold these opinions (I don't think you do and that you're just trolling, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt) you can express them in a less inflammatory manner in future.

Advertisement