Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the price for building a small network

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I want to connect the four computers in my small office( 75 square meters, 3 rooms and reception all on one floor).What is average price per single network point(price for work).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

It depends on materials and layout. You shouldnt be talking more than a day so apprx 400 plus materials...

Thats based on the average.. You will get people who may do it cheaper so shop around but make sure they are network orientated and not a pc services guy or electrician with limited experience in that field. A bad network even on that scale can cost you big time if done wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have you though of the idea of a Wireless router and Usb access on the Desktops or is there serious high volumes of traffic?

Cat5e & Wallplates are not that expensive, it's the installation that's the killer. Also I suggest a SMB Switch, that way if you want to expand there will be no problems.

Keeping it, Cheap you can get second hand Cisco 3500 Catalyst Switch Cheap on eBay.

Some people have said they charge €50 Per hour for this, but too be perfectly honest, you don't give much info as to what it is you want done. It could take an hour or if it gets complicated it could take hours/days.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

+1 For going wireless as it would be a lot cheaper to set up. Just get good PCI wireless cards rather then usb and a decent wireless router.

If you do decide to go with cat5e/cat6 cabling make sure you get at least two points to every PC as you can use the 2nd point for phones or Network printers.

LoGiE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ok I have to start by agreeing and disagreeing with the other posters. Yes two points per desk is essential and to be honest I wouldnt install a system if someone wanted less its just not practical. But with regard Wireless and Cisco switches, for gods sake no no no... I really good 10/100 switch or even a 1gb switch is between 50 and 200 euro, getting a Cisco switch is a pitfall of stupidity.. They are difficult to configure and if you dont know how you have to pay a Cisco trained engineer, there goes the holiday money for 2010...

Wireless is a no go because it is flakey and unsecure and if you are like most boring people and you like relaibility and things to be secure then go wired. Im one of the few people on this forum who actually install for a profession so I speak from experieince not from a hobby point of view..

Do not go CAT6 as you do not have the need and depending on the budget I suggest a small wall box and terminated properly. I use one of the best and more expensive cat5e gear from Panduit, for a 4 pc set up with two points per desk your talking €100 - 150 plus VAT including cable and a wall box maybe a hundred or so....

I dont mean to belittle anyone elses input but I genuinely spend my days fixing installs like the above mentioned so if you can, start as you mean to go on and do it right... Im sure where ever you are there are plenty of good guys to do this kind of work. Look for references if needs be... If you are confident with this kind of stuff you could always install yourself.. Its not rocket science but having the right tools make it a fast and painless job..

Advertisement