Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route for a around trip of Ireland by car.

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I’m not really sure where to put this post……

I’m trying to organise and round Ireland trip between me and my brother. (and a few mates)

I’m hoping to set off from Dublin heading North, and my brother will set off from Dublin heading South.

The idea is to travel opposite directions around Ireland, meet maybe somewhere like Westport for a night out, but take in all the site around the coast as well.

Now, I want to make clear, this isn’t a race, and I’m not a boy racer by any means.
    This is a round Ireland trip with dfiierent members of the clan in each car, having the crack.

But has anyone ever drove around Ireland for a site seeing trip?

If so which is the best route in either direction?

We would hope to do it from a Friday to a Sunday or Monday.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

oldscoil wrote: »
    [But has anyone ever drove around Ireland for a site seeing trip

Yepp, but if you want to actually SEE something, you've got to take the small, scenic routes and you'll quickly run out of time.

You can do Cork to Tralee in three hours on the main road or you can take in all the peninsulas and you won't have seen everything in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Sounds like you've two teams..

set up challenge for each team to vist somewhere odd that you would never intend going to like .. unusual or not
    - find 'x'
    - Bring a bottle from each distillery...
    - Buy a sheep in Achill..
    - Photo at some Abbey at the back of beyond...
    - Visit all the aldi's in Ireland..

at the moment, a round trip round Ireland does not sound too appealing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

do a search in the cycling board them boys do all sorts of trips,i have got a few ideas from them in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

visit www.geocaching.com
    Set the other team a challenge to find as many caches as possible, or find a cache in a particular area. It's amazing the amount of caches hidden throughout the country. Our kids love it and makes the family walk a lot more fun.

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment

Advertisement