Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Carr last night

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Went to see Jimmy last night and he bored the pants off me.

I knew what to expect I know he tells a lot of offensive jokes and you have to go there expecting that, I just got bored with the themes he used

it was 100 jokes about sexual perversion/degradation of himself or his "girlfriend"
    100 jokes about Pedeophila (i can never spell that correctly)
    50 jokes about Rape
    50 jokes about homosexuals
    and 50 jokes slagging off various inhabitants of the British Isles who are not him

and sure there was a lot of jokes but they weren't particularly funny, and the odd time he would change the subject and you think "at last some relief" 5 minutes later he's back on the old familiar ground again

not insulted just bored

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Im sorry but...

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    it was 100 jokes about sexual perversion/degradation of himself or his "girlfriend"
    100 jokes about Pedeophila (i can never spell that correctly)
    50 jokes about Rape
    50 jokes about homosexuals
    and 50 jokes slagging off various inhabitants of the British Isles who are not him

have you ever seen jimmy carr before?! that is his style and subject matter, always has been, always will be, its what works for him and what hmakes him a hugely successful comedian! expectin any different is like expecting eddie izzard to not ramble, or frankie boyle to not mention scotland, or katherine lynch to be funny!

i saw that show back in september and tbh i loved it, think it was his best in a few years, using the screen was great, and his banter with the audience was second to none (my mate even offered him a biscuit!:pac:) and i met him after the show he was really bang on!

and by your own count he did more than 350 jokes...thats pretty damn good going!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I agree with grames_bond. That's Carr's style. I cannot stand the man because it just seems like he's quoting verbatim from a book of gags...his act is very clinical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I had never seen him live but has seen his live show on TV, I know it's his style but i was expecting something with a little more imagination, it was just fanny joke, anal joke, queer joke, fanny joke, kiddy fiddler joke, fanny joke, cock joke, anal joke, queer joke,

no real continuity, just rattlinig off a list of jokes, there was some crowd interaction which was ok, but the crowd were kinda quiet.

I saw this thing of TV before where he had a routine about various classified ads he had but into newspaper which was very clever so i was expecting something like that.

he did do, akind "what's happening in my head" thing with the screen video, but that was basically, fanny cock and anal jokes

and he did "what would be in my autobiography! but that was just more of the same too.

I guess I had him pegged as an intelligent sort of guy who might deviate from the expected post modern "it's not offensive because it's only a joke" stchick

I'll know in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    no real continuity, just rattlinig off a list of jokes

Thats kind of his style though. He does the one liner and moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Publicdiservice

Thats the man's long established style and he's pretty good at it, thats why he sells out the places he does. For me the routine was as i expected and i laughed at a lot of those in your own words fanny, cock and anal jokes not because of the topic but because they were very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

as i said I was expecting those kinds of jokes but i was expecting something more as well but it never arrived, so i got bored

and sure the first 20 jokes were funny, but after an hour and a half of basically the same exact thing, your (or rather my)patience will run out

As I said, I'll know in future

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I saw him Tue night and had a great time. I was sitting in the second row and was ducking and hiding when he started annihilating the girl in front of me :D
    I love him, that was the third time I've seen him live!

I love his style, his short snappy jokes are perfect for me. His one liners and comebacks are hysterical and crack me up. Could anyone recommend any similar comics I may like? I mean as in any other comedians that have shorter jokes as opposed to the lengthier waffle jokers. The reason I prefer this style is because they require less concentration and so I can relax more and obviously if I'm distracted or miss a word, etc. the joke won't be wasted on me. Nothing worse than sitting there wondering what's so funny when people to the left and right of you are chuckling and sniggering! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

jimmay wrote: »
    I saw him Tue night and had a great time. I was sitting in the second row and was ducking and hiding when he started annihilating the girl in front of me :D
    I love him, that was the third time I've seen him live!

I love his style, his short snappy jokes are perfect for me. His one liners and comebacks are hysterical and crack me up. Could anyone recommend any similar comics I may like? I mean as in any other comedians that have shorter jokes as opposed to the lengthier waffle jokers. The reason I prefer this style is because they require less concentration and so I can relax more and obviously if I'm distracted or miss a word, etc. the joke won't be wasted on me. Nothing worse than sitting there wondering what's so funny when people to the left and right of you are chuckling and sniggering! :P

Mitch Hedburg (deceased) and Steve or is it Steven Wright tell/told a lot of short snappy jokes but they are more like word play jokes, kinda dry but amusing. Other than that i don't know, i'm not really into stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I went the same night, I seen him before and loved the show, but I have to say I was sat there at one point thinking, I'm actually a bit bored here. Someone used the word clinical above, and that's what I thought, but where's the fun in clinical, I may aswell be reading a joke book. Dont think I'll bother going to see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

jimmay wrote: »

I love his style, his short snappy jokes are perfect for me. His one liners and comebacks are hysterical and crack me up. Could anyone recommend any similar comics I may like? I mean as in any other comedians that have shorter jokes as opposed to the lengthier waffle jokers.

There's a two very funny local dudes you should check out so. Paul Tylak and Steve Elliott are short, snappy-joke types. Funny as hell, too, and I'd imagine their gigs are a damn sight cheaper than a Carr gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

Hey, it's not for you! I find Jimmy Carr's type of jokes hilarious, easily one of the most, if not the most, watchable comedians for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Sorry to go off-topic but Steven Wright, isn't he the guy on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack with the really bland mundane voice? I love that guy! "What do batteries run on?" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

armour87 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off-topic but Steven Wright, isn't he the guy on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack with the really bland mundane voice? I love that guy! "What do batteries run on?" :)

Yeah.
    K-Billy's super sounds of the seventies.

-"Just got finished reading the dictionary.
    Turns out the zebra did it..."

Advertisement