Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to test

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So, going unreg for this!

So here's the story. I had been on Deprovera for about 4 years and decided to come off it to let my body prepare for pregnancy. My last injection was August 2008. I didn't want to get pregnant straight away anyway and had heard could take your body a while to get back to normal anyway so I wasn't concerned that I didn't get a period for the first while.

In May/ June of last year I started to ask the doc if I should be concerned that I had no period yet, he assured me a few times that I shouldn't worry, to be honest I wasn't worried at all. I finally got a period on the 15th November, it was light and lasted 2 days but have had nothing since.

So anyway, I had been using the good old catholic contraceptive method all along because I wanted to wait for my body to get back to normal before trying to get pregnant however on New Years eve we weren't careful and now I'm in a tizzy that if I did get pregnant how will I know and when should I test? Now I know that it is very very unlikely that I am pregnant and that is fine but I want to make sure I'm looking after myself in the even that I am, I'm taking folic acid anyway but I want to make sure that I'm not drinking etc.

So, when you don't have periods, how long after attempted conception should you wait to do a test? I would guess two weeks maybe but unsure?

Should I wait until my periods become regular again before having unprotected sex?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do a home test and see or go to your dr and get a test done there and while you are ask about non hormonal barrier contraception like the cap or diaphragm for you to use while you are waiting for your cycles to sort themsevles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

if you're getting your body ready for pregnancy, I would be taking folic acid now anyway, it will do no harm.
    I too was on the depo for ages, and it took 6 months for periods to return, and I was pregnant 6 months later. But once I stopped the depo I started on folic acid straight away, as I was using no protection after stopping the injection.
    If you think there is a chance of being pregnant take the test. I didn't know for 6 weeks that I was pregnant.
    Again, I would strongly recommend you start with the folic acid now, as personally you can't protect the baby enough, and its the first 12-14 weeks are most important for babys development.
    Best of luck!
    (Sorry only on re-reading did I see that you are taking folic acid!!, would agree with Thaedal re other contraceptives if this is what you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So would a home test work at this point (13 days after unprotected sex) or should I wait another week or so?

Also, are you saying it would be better to get my cycles back to normal before trying to conceive? I'm thinking maybe it would, otherwise how am I supposed to know if I am pregnant!

yep thanks fi1979 I take multivits every day and these have 100% RDA of folic acid so I should be fully stocked up (I hope).

It's such a long time since my last injection I really thought I'd be back to normal by now :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

So would a home test work at this point (13 days after unprotected sex) or should I wait another week or so?

Also, are you saying it would be better to get my cycles back to normal before trying to conceive? I'm thinking maybe it would, otherwise how am I supposed to know if I am pregnant!

yep thanks fi1979 I take multivits every day and these have 100% RDA of folic acid so I should be fully stocked up (I hope).

It's such a long time since my last injection I really thought I'd be back to normal by now :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

Would be no harm to check, not sure how quick a result would show, particularly when you've no regular cycle to relate to.
    Get a muti pack of tests in boots or somewhere. You may well not feel anything to indicate one way or the other for ages.

I totally understand, seeing as I was in a similar position. My theory was that if your body allowed itself to get pregnant, then it was ready. But I was happy to go with the flow. If you want to be more in control wait for a regular cycle, but I know it can take ages, as it seemed for me

Best of luck!;)

Advertisement