Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waiting for my grant

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭

It does as it says in the title

It is now the middle of January and I am still waiting for my grant to be assessed, never mind processed.

How long does it generally take because I am really struggling with money at the moment and will soon be forced to start selling some of my possessions.

I have rang County Cork VEC at least once a week to see if they have any information for me but all I get is I'm sorry, I have nothing new to tell you.

Would it be of any advantage to get my local T.D involved because someone I'm staying with knows him personally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

aaronh007 wrote: »

It is now the middle of January and I am still waiting for my grant to be assessed, never mind processed.

How long does it generally take because I am really struggling with money at the moment and will soon be forced to start selling some of my possessions.

I have rang County Cork VEC at least once a week to see if they have any information for me but all I get is I'm sorry, I have nothing new to tell you.

Would it be of any advantage to get my local T.D involved because someone I'm staying with knows him personally.

Probably not. You're likely to be told to take a ticket and join the line. I applied to Dublin VEC, and I still don't have mine either. I received a letter to say my application was received in October, and nothing more since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi,
    When did you hand it in?Did you get your reference number in the post?Or even a receipt saying that they received it?

My story is this if it helps....handed mine into ballincollig in august(week before deadline).Got nothing back off them and had to call in october to find out that they didnt look at it cause it should have went to county hall.Then after negotiation they said they would process it.They sent out a receipt and sent back my birth cert and gave me a reference number.Im about 200 behind my brother and he is in 600s.He still hasnt heard anything....When he hears ill post here so people after 600 and before(just in case) know where they stand!!!

All we can do is wait.Im sure they are under staffed and have had hours and money cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Absou *uckin letly i was told my my county council i would not be eligible for a minimal grant let alone the full one, after much paper back and forth i got a local TD on the ball and within a day or two i got the whole thing (got accepted like not the actual grant money itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

shezer wrote: »
    Hi,
    When did you hand it in?Did you get your reference number in the post?Or even a receipt saying that they received it?

Yeah I got all that stuff.

But for me it's even more confusing and annoying that its taken this long because I have received a grant for the past 3 years prior to this one.

I'm doing an add on year for my Hons. Degree so had to reapply for it.

The only details that have changed are that my dad has subsequently moved to the UK and he's earning less money than when I first applied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The grant situation is seriously stressing me out.

I applied before the deadline, got my ref number, supplied a few extra documents and then . . . nothing

Haven't phoned them since before Christmas as I started crying during the last phone conversation :o

I think UL are holding an investigation into this year's grant debacle but I just want my grant/fees paid. I started in Sept ffs! They've had my application for 6 months.

Getting bad letters from the bank regarding an overdraft that I was sure would be covered by now.

Can't promise a date as I haven't heard back from the grant office.

So stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Why dont you phone them again?

or better yet, go and see them. If you can cry in the office, it might make them push your application faster!

Have you spoken to the finance officer of your student union?
    Maybe he/she can make a phone call for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

shezer wrote: »
    All we can do is wait.Im sure they are under staffed and have had hours and money cuts.

Exactly the wrong attitude to have!

I went through months of being told '2 more weeks' and waiting patiently before calling back again. Then I realised that this would just continue to drag on as long as I let it. I hate to say it, but the squeaky wheel does get oiled.

It comes down to this :

If, upon hearing 'its being processed we will get back to you in the next while' you are saying OK and hanging up the phone, you are completely wasting your time.

Advertisement