Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobacco growing

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

all you hippies and cheapskates do share your knowledge with me , anybody grow their own or know of anyone who does it ? seems like a great little hobby that i wouldnt mind starting , so tips , stories and whatnot all welcome here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a website called seedman.com, they are US based and sell tobacco seeds, they also supply flavourings for the finished stuff as well as curing tips etc. I saw an article in a newspaper about decorative tobacco plants in Dublin, so they can be grown here easily.
    Cuthof is a Swedish maker of tobacco cutting machines that can shred the tobacco to the cut you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is a website called seedman.com, they are US based and sell tobacco seeds, they also supply flavourings for the finished stuff as well as curing tips etc. I saw an article in a newspaper about decorative tobacco plants in Dublin, so they can be grown here easily.
    Cuthof is a Swedish maker of tobacco cutting machines that can shred the tobacco to the cut you require.

cheers , you grow any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not yet,I am interested in growing some as decorative plants, they can be used to make forms of insecticide as well so perhaps organic gardeners might be interested in growing some to make natural insecticide.
    If the decorative ones grow well then I might think about growing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not yet,I am interested in growing some as decorative plants, they can be used to make forms of insecticide as well so perhaps organic gardeners might be interested in growing some to make natural insecticide.
    If the decorative ones grow well then I might think about growing more.

cool let me know how it goes,

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I've grown a close relative of the tobacco plant many times - Nicotiana Sylvestris. Beautiful scent from the flowers, reaches about a metre high - plants are a bit 'cabbagey' looking though. Grows well here so maybe its tobacco relative could grow here with relative ease too. Although having said that you have to look at where it's grown commercially to get an idea where it grows best e.g. the southern states in the US for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

There is a firm in the UK thats sells seeds
    http://www.coffinails.com/index.html
    And a forum
    http://www.coffinails.com/forums/
    I suppose its not a mad idea to try one different thing each year to see what happens.
    So.
    Archive.org scan old out of copyright books on wide range of subjects.
    A search on 'tobacco' yields 9 pages of free stuff.

An example
    <English tobacco culture; being a description of the first English and Irish tobacco crops of 1886>
    http://www.archive.org/download/englishtobaccocu00beal/englishtobaccocu00beal_bw.pdf

It has been done before then.

OK, its old, but plants dont change much and neither does climate.
    I fancy to have a go on a small scale,
    even if it does go wrong, the plants can make a vicious insecticide.

Advertisement