Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagon Passat advice

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am looking to buy a 2006 Volkswagon Passat. I dont have much experience in buying cars, and am wondering what I should look at when inspecting the car a the dealers. Any adice would be great. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd advise against choosing a 06 Passat, 05/06 new shape Passats have alot of reliability issues. Do a search on this forum and you will find it has been discused alot. Steering and fuel pump are known problems on them afaik. My uncle had a 06 and it spent more time in the garage than on the road, he has a 08 now and it doesn't seem to be suffering from the same problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chrssymc1

daly14 wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a 2006 Volkswagon Passat. I dont have much experience in buying cars, and am wondering what I should look at when inspecting the car a the dealers. Any adice would be great. Cheers

Did you buy yet? I just got a new job with a company car and am looking to sell my much loved 06 VW Passat ........ never had a days bother with it and have had it 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Chrssymc1 wrote: »
    Did you buy yet? I just got a new job with a company car and am looking to sell my much loved 06 VW Passat ........ never had a days bother with it and have had it 3 years!

yeah pull the other one ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd advise against choosing a 06 Passat, 05/06 new shape Passats have alot of reliability issues. Do a search on this forum and you will find it has been discused alot. Steering and fuel pump are known problems on them afaik. My uncle had a 06 and it spent more time in the garage than on the road, he has a 08 now and it doesn't seem to be suffering from the same problems.

My uncle has a 06 Passat and he's never had a single problem with it. Just once the radio stopped working but we just popped up the bonnet, pulled out the fuse, stuck it back in and it started working...

And its not like he's a very slow or smooth driver, he puts the car through a fair bit of abuse everyday...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My uncle has a 06 Passat and he's never had a single problem with it. Just once the radio stopped working but we just popped up the bonnet, pulled out the fuse, stuck it back in and it started working...

And its not like he's a very slow or smooth driver, he puts the car through a fair bit of abuse everyday...

And my uncle had a 07 with lots of problems, you pay your money and take your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Dont know how true it is or how you could verify it but I heard one of the big leasing companys recently refused to put any more passats on their fleet due to the amount of problems they were having .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There are problems with the earlier ones but some have been faultless too. We had a very early 05 in the family & only problem was a fuel cooler which came loose. This was the subject of a recall 2 weeks later.

Advertisement