Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were of the "big-head" Sindy generation...

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

...as in 1980s, then this site is for you.
    Sindy

I hadn't seen the little catalogue in decades. I remembered I wanted my room pink, just like Sindy's!

EDIT- this site is very good Sindy2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Thanks for that Cinnamon, I loved my Sindy dolls. Great memories there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Heh, only just saw this now - my new avatar has nothing to do with it, I swear!

I got my first Sindy in 1981 aged 3. Between then and 1983 I got a couple more... then, Christmas 1983, the bitch arrived. Yep, I converted to Barbie (or "Barbara" as I thought she was called :D). In true 1980s Alexis Carrington style, she waltzed into that house the Sindys shared (a chipboard, doorless locker :pac:) in her fancy schmancy threads as if she owned the place, and soon the Sindys were her staff. Then Barbie invited her friends to come and crash - and they stole the Sindys' clothes. Plus, the pretty Sindy bed got taken over by Barbie, and Sindy had to make do with a generic plain doll's bed (don't know where it came from - jumble sale possibly :)).

I used to think Barbie had nicer clothes, but I now prefer Sindy's - it was kinda like the difference between Paris Hilton and Christina Ricci. The old-skool Sindy wasn't about sexy and glamorous, and there was something less bland about her. Her face had more character than Barbie's, which was rather generic. Also, Sindy had way better furniture. She could be a bit dowdy though - that was the only thing.

Ooh, just remembered my mother's friend's daughter had a Sindy house - it was utterly amazing. Mammoth of a yoke! There was absolutely no way my parents were gonna be getting me one. One of the items of furniture in the Sindy house that stands out in my memory was a little record player which worked like a real one! And there were actual tiny records in little sleeves and all!
    I had some pretty good Sindy furniture too - like a washing machine that actually worked, and a sink above it with taps that also worked (there was a tank that you'd fill at the back) and a fridge with seriously realistic looking food.

These were the Sindys I had...
    Funtime Sindy..she was blonde and wore a blue swimsuit. Many years ago, I Know I was very young. It was probably about 1974 or '75.
    Lovely Lively Sindy...blonde wearing a white polo shirt with yellow tartan edges and skirt. I got a white satin wedding dress separately with a hat with pink roses trimming it.
    Active Sindy...blonde ballerina (think I may have had two of these), I loved these, the way she was bendable.
    Active Sindy...brunette ballerina, my last one, I got a long chocolate brown flowery dress with her. Usually the outfits came with wee shoes, they kept falling off, I was forever losing them.
    I also had a bed and wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Dudess wrote: »
    then, Christmas 1983, the bitch arrived.

in her fancy schmancy threads as if she owned the place, and soon the Sindys were her staff.

lol. I had one Barbie and a few Sindy's and I could have sworn they looked a little depressed when they were around her, with her fancy clothes and her tan and her all-American good looks!

I had 2 dancer Sindys, the brunette ballerina with the white costume. I used to do ballet and this was a prized possession. I swear I was this close to buying this same unopened Sindy doll on amazon!
    I had the dancer with a funky red costume and my other Sindy had a stripey dress and because she was my first Sindy, her fingers were chewed off and her head was half bald :eek:

Oh and my Mum used to knit me clothes for Sindy. I had a couple of groovy jumpers and a knitted wedding dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

because she was my first Sindy, her fingers were chewed off
    :D
    It was my poor first Sindy's feet that met that fate!

Yeah, I agree the Sindys always looked a little forlorn when beside the Barbies. :pac:

I had the blonde ballerina Sindy with a white leotard and pink net tutu. I did ballet too - there was such an obsession with dance in the early 80s!
    Oh and my Mum used to knit me clothes for Sindy. I had a couple of groovy jumpers and a knitted wedding dress!
    My mum used to knit absolutely divine stuff for my dolls too. I'm getting the feeling we're the same person, desolate sun! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Did any one else have sindy wallpaper in their bedroom? It was pink and had different images of sindy doing ballet etc. repeated around it.. was never a big fan of Sindy think it lasted on our bedroom wall for about a year max

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Dudess wrote: »
    :D
    I had the blonde ballerina Sindy with a white leotard and pink net tutu. I did ballet too - there was such an obsession with dance in the early 80s!

That was the Sindy I wanted, but they might not have had any of the blonde ones left, when my parents bought it. Still I loved my brunette ballerina. Oh the memories....:D

Yeah the ballerina ones were the best 'cos of the bendiness. If you had them long enough and played with them often enough the white rubbery 'bone' would pop out of her leg:(. It happened all of mine.

Advertisement