Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Problem

Options
  • 12-01-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I have a GSW-2401 24port gigabit switch which all my equipment connects through and is connected to my netopia 2247 router/modem. I've having problems with getting my xbox 360s to work on system link but work perfect getting onto xbox live. No idea why this would happen. Any help would be really helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

deceit wrote: »
    I have a GSW-2401 24port gigabit switch which all my equipment connects through and is connected to my netopia 2247 router/modem. I've having problems with getting my xbox 360s to work on system link but work perfect getting onto xbox live. No idea why this would happen. Any help would be really helpful.

Can you rewrite your problem? I don't fully understand it. What is the issue your having? Is it you can access the internet, but you cannot access xbox's in the local network?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I can get on xbox live with the xbox's but when I try connect them for system link games they dont detect each other also when I try set them up with media centre functions it says they cant obtain an ip. I can play system link games fine on pcs in the house.

No one able to help me with this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Have you tried giving the Xboxes a fixed IP address rather than relying on DHCP?

I had to do this to get Media Centre Extender working.

I have the other problem. I can only get Xbox live to work by dropping the Netopia router security settings to Low, which I'm not prepared to do. What's weird is that it works for a few minutes when I put the settings back to medium, then stops!

SSE

Have you tried giving the Xboxes a fixed IP address rather than relying on DHCP?

I had to do this to get Media Centre Extender working.

I have the other problem. I can only get Xbox live to work by dropping the Netopia router security settings to Low, which I'm not prepared to do. What's weird is that it works for a few minutes when I put the settings back to medium, then stops!

SSE
    Yea I had it set with a fixed Ip but when it was on it would always asign itself a net ip instead of the one I choose for it and still says cant assign an ip. I assigned for one of them the ip 192.168.1.3 then 4 for another and i think 7 for the third. I just adjusted the nat settings so wouldnt have to lower the firewall settings to sort that problem you have. Its strange as if I connect them straight to the router last time they worked perfect on lan and live but since putting the 24port switch in place seems to be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

deceit wrote: »
    Yea I had it set with a fixed Ip but when it was on it would always asign itself a net ip instead of the one I choose for it and still says cant assign an ip. I assigned for one of them the ip 192.168.1.3 then 4 for another and i think 7 for the third. I just adjusted the nat settings so wouldnt have to lower the firewall settings to sort that problem you have. Its strange as if I connect them straight to the router last time they worked perfect on lan and live but since putting the 24port switch in place seems to be the problem.

Are you sure that the fixed IP addresses are outside of the DHCP range - I have mine set to 1-100 for DHCP (PCs, Sonos players) and my NAS, Xbox higher than that. I'm fairly certain I had to give the switch (Netgear GS724) a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP range and I think there was a setting in there to use the router as the DHCP server - but can't remember offhand. I've had no problems connecting once I set the Xbox to have a fixed IP address.

I've tried the setting changes on portforward.com to no avail, the wierd thing it works for a while and then stops.

SSE

Are you sure that the fixed IP addresses are outside of the DHCP range - I have mine set to 1-100 for DHCP (PCs, Sonos players) and my NAS, Xbox higher than that. I'm fairly certain I had to give the switch (Netgear GS724) a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP range and I think there was a setting in there to use the router as the DHCP server - but can't remember offhand. I've had no problems connecting once I set the Xbox to have a fixed IP address.

I've tried the setting changes on portforward.com to no avail, the wierd thing it works for a while and then stops.

SSE
    I had dhcp turned off for first few months and didnt make a difference and when I turned it on first 50 ips are fixed rest are set by dhcp. My switch cant be given an ip address as its an unmanaged switch. It would be too costly for me to justify the price of a managed switch unless thats the only way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

If you bypass the switch and hook direct to the router do they work correctly.. I had this with a 3com gigabit switch and a netopia router.. Think it was something to do with autosensing on the switch.

I added an old 10/100 switch between the router and the gig switch and it worked. It was a strange one.. In the end of it all I upgaded the switch to a draytek with a gig interface.

Presume the netopia is on the latest firmware as well.

roryq wrote: »
    If you bypass the switch and hook direct to the router do they work correctly.. I had this with a 3com gigabit switch and a netopia router.. Think it was something to do with autosensing on the switch.

I added an old 10/100 switch between the router and the gig switch and it worked. It was a strange one.. In the end of it all I upgaded the switch to a draytek with a gig interface.

Presume the netopia is on the latest firmware as well.

Yea if I bypass the switch it works fine but would have to have wires running all over the house to do as xboxs are in seperate rooms and the switch is in the attic and fed around the house with access points in every room. I might still have two of my old 5 port gigabit switches, if can find them will try putting one of them in between the 24p gigabit switch and router/modem. All ports on the 24p are autosensing and I think they are on the modem also. Pc games can be networked fine though.

I tried putting a second switch in between the modem/router and the switch to no avail :(.
    Heres some of the router settings if there any help. The switch is unmanaged so cant do anything with it:
    Untitled-1.png

• Advertisement

Hmmm if you're on xbox live you're getting an ip address.. when you set them on a static are you using the router as the dns or are you using an external resource.

I'm thinking it is something to do with internal dns.. Cause you can get out of the network but not work internally.

If you put the two on a static and hook only them to the switch turning off the netopia do they see each other.

It is a bit of a confusing one.

Have you checked the below.. So I'm not 100% on system link

For system link play, both games and both consoles have to be the same version with regard to updates. For example, if two people are trying to use the system link play option for Gears of War 2 and one console has recently downloaded an update for the game but the other console has not updated the game, the users of the two consoles will be unable to play together.

I'm Setting dns to automatic and have tried an external one.

I turned the router off and still didnt work.
    My computers can see them when mapping out the network though, but without the router attached it shows they dont have an ip address where as if the router is connected it would show a www ip.

Both consoles are on live every day so are exactly the same. Can play in live games together.

The Settings i'm using on the two xboxs i'm testing it on are
    IP Settings First Xbox
    Ip Address 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254

IP Settings Second Xbox
    Ip Address 192.168.1.5
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254

I'm not sure what the Gateway should be if I disconnect the router.

It is hardly that the host names are the same on both boxes. Thus causing some type of a conflict.

http://www.xbox.com/hi-IN/support/xbox360live/troubleshooting/network_settings.htm

Very last section..

Clutchin at straws now

No I have them all named differently. I'm just hoping its not the switch causing the problem. Could the fault be the fact that i'm selecting the router as the gateway or does that affect internal connections?
    If I knew was just setting that needed to be sorted I would just pay someone to fix it and pay a bit extra to show me how he did it :P. But dont know if its settings or if the switch just dont like xbox consoles.

I tried again removing the modem/router and this time I reset the switch and I could get on system link with all consoles but when I turned the router on it was still working until I disconnected from the system link game then it wouldnt connect to another one again. It must be something to do with the router then?

Now that the switch is reset I can get system link games to work all the time if I go to 192.168.1.254 and reset the router while I have a system link game started but if I close out of that game and start another it cant find it again.

Anyone know if I got this switch would it be possible to manage where the xbox looks for a connection for lan games and for live games?
    http://reviews.cnet.com/switches/netgear-prosafe-gs724at-24/4505-6432_7-32990076.html?tag=also
    or
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/switch-powerconnect-2848?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

In case anyone else has this problem in the future I taught I would post a solution. The router wasnt able to switch the consoles between an internal ip and a wan ip. I bought a new n1 vision modem/router and this fixed it straight away.

Advertisement