Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear stora, stay away! any help would be appreciated

Options
  • 12-01-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

So I've been looking for a NAS for a couple of months, recently I had the disposable inceom to pick one up.

after a bit of reading I decided to go with the netgrear stora,
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=496965

it comes with a 1tb drive already installed and a second bay, happy days, i can always upgrade later right? ...wrong

so, apparenly the stora doesnt do RAID0 or JBOD, its only does raid 1, limiting me to a maximum of 2tb of storage.

also it comes with a rather poor web based UI which you need to use if you plan to do anything with the dive at all.

Im aware of the risks associated with RAID0 and JBOD, but id still at least like the option to use them
    and maybe I'm being naive here but it was my understanding that if you had a nas, you could simply have a large storage space on your network and mount it as a network dive, and simply drag and drop files to it, am I wrong?

what I was hoping for was to be able to put 2x2tb drives in RAID0 into a nas and have it simply as storage and hopefully also stream videos to my ps3, am i asking too much?

what I was hoping to achieve by posting here is that perhaps some kind soul may be able to point me in the direction of some form of custom firmware, or at least tell me how to mount the device as a network drive.

I've tried the usual way of mounting the stora as a network drive but no joy, it only appears to my network as a media server :(

apologies for the length of the post, but i was just so dissapointed with this netgear thing that I was hoping someone else here may have come across the same issues and figured it out.

thanks for listening :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think you're doing something wrong. Everything I've read says that it is accessible via smb

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/network-attached-storage-nas-/netgear-stora-ms2110-1tb-654880/review

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Thanks for the response, yeah I do think my being a bit thick and maybe a little impatiend played a factor in my frustration with the unit.
    and perhaps my original post was made in sheer frustration.

after a little tinkering I got it mapped as a network drive on the house computers which is pretty much all i wanted from a nas.

but I still have the problem that it only works with raid1. so as far as i can see this really just limits my storage capacity to 2TB.
    Im sure larger drives will be on the market in the future, and maybe Im going a bit overboard wanting 4TB of storage.

I suppose my question now would be, if i did somehow manage to get root access, might it be possible to enable raid0/jbod? cause there seems to be a few posts around if you google of people trying to do something like this.

if thats not possible, say i did happen to get a 4TB drive in the future some time. do you reckon that the stora could support a drive of that size?

and yes you are correct its available via SMB.

once again, thanks for reading the post and any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Most likely not. The RAID controller is most likely not able to do RAID 0.

Sell it to the offo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

ah you could be right, thanks man.

i may just keep the thing. couldnt be bothered at this stage returning it, unless someone else has any reccomendations on what i should buy?

and yeah i can always sell it to the offo :)

Advertisement