Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bison Breathable Waders

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:48pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at getting myself a set of breathable waders and boots. I'm fed up with neoprene and plastics in the summer.

Has anyone used Bison Breathable Waders and what do you think of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cant speak of that particular brand but my father and his fishing buddy both got scierra stocking foot waders and boots last year and the two of them are very happy with them = comfort, freedom of movement, the fit (i.e. stocking foot as opposed boot foot wader)

Only thing is for night time fishing they can be a bit cold but an extra pair of tracksuit bottoms thrown on soon sorts that if you know you'll be out late.

Finally during the cold spell the studded boots got an early outing as they gave great grip on the icy footpaths! :)

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i don't know if i mentioned this but i found a pair of waders under a bridge while i was cleaning up a bit of a river last year! they were caught up in wire after a high tide and covered in insects, their eggs and a month of summer mould.

as to be expected they had plenty of problems, at least a dozen pinprick holes and a tear around the knees. i spent about a dozen hours fixing them up and used two different types of rubber solution that both worked perfectly.

they're old and they're worn around the seat which means that if i get into deep water they start to leak a bit! but compared to rubber waders they're great, sweating in waders is nasty.

one thing though, the price of breathable waders is nuts! it's a controlled market, they'res no way they should be more than a hunderd euro, i think it's possible to get fitted for boots and waders for close to that, the prices have to come down as more companies enter the market.

one other thing, if u like walking in difficult ground and unknown waters i'd get a pair of neoprene shin guards, they should only be about 10 euro. also waders and thistles don't like each other.

considering the rivers i'm hoping to wade in this year i'm glad i invested 120 euro in a jacket with a built it inflator, it's nuts to wade in unknown fast flowing water without one.

it's no harm to go into Southside Angling and try on various pairs, although u'll find them 10-20% cheaper online, if something is wrong with them i find its better to buy from a real shop rather than online. only if something is 40-50% cheaper and i know exactly what i'm getting would i spend large chunks of money online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

and sorry pullandbang but to answer your question directly, that deal looks great. the pair i found are Vision.

if i was u though i'd like to try them on before buying! be sure to get a pair of boots that are a size too big! but u know that already.

the wading stick is the stuff that inspires adventure, i need one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

did you try ebay there are a lot of waders on it,including biscon waders

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

did you try ebay there are a lot of waders on it,including biscon waders

Eh, did you see my first post and the link to...............you guessed it............E Bay!:pac:

I'm in no mad panic to get a pair yet, we don't open until Paddy's Day and that'll still be bank fishing. Just wondering if anyone had any experience of that particular brand as I hadn't come across them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i have simms heaswaters chest waders have to say they are the best by far i have ever tried - light strong and breathable, but very expensive the gore tex is expensive stuff. the vision ones should be ok for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi P&B I had a pair of these for two seasons used at least twice a week and never had a problem till I caught them on some barbed wire. I have a new pair ready for monday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Thanks Bernard. That's exactly what I was looking for - someone who actually had that make. Think I'll splash out (pardon the pun) and treat myself to a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Hi P&B, any feedback on these ? i'm contemplating getting a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I was thinking about these but instead I am heading to Cleere's Angling Centre on Saturday morning hopefully to get kitted out..At this stage I may be looking at the Orivs Silver Label & Boots..getting them as a pressie for my 40th from my good woman.

I am going for Orvis because of the warranty..

Ebay have good deals on your Bison including boots... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BISON-BREATHABLE-CHEST-WADERS-BOOTS-STUDS-ALL-SIZES-/290452041747?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Athletic_Shoes_ET&var=&hash=item895eea1e20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I got a very nice pair of breathable waders(stocking foot) in East Coast Angling in Navan for €80. thier called Kinetic. Super pair of waders.
    I also spent €80 on a pair of Vision boots in Southside, nice light boots, most other boots were very heavy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

There's an Airflo catalog free in the current Irish Angler (I think), and there's a pair of Hardwear Pro Breathable waders with boots in it for €129 - could be worth a look?

Advertisement