Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Prescribtion and Self Check ups.

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was wondering if any doctors on here would prescribe themselves medication if for example they had a chest infection or something, even if they wern't GP's. Suppose a man was an SHO in Ob/Gyn or even if someone worked in a non clinical field of medicine such as pathology, radiology, public health etc, could/ would they be allowed to write a Rx for a course of antibiotics for themselves or a close family member or order blood tests etc.

Do many Doctors use a GP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Leono wrote: »
    I was wondering if any doctors on here would prescribe themselves medication if for example they had a chest infection or something, even if they wern't GP's. Suppose a man was an SHO in Ob/Gyn or even if someone worked in a non clinical field of medicine such as pathology, radiology, public health etc, could/ would they be allowed to write a Rx for a course of antibiotics for themselves or a close family member or order blood tests etc.

Do many Doctors use a GP?

it is unethical and unadvisable to do so, really.

you cant be objective when lookiing after yourself or family.

new legislation states that trainee doctors can only prescribe within their own training posts, so you couldnt then have an obstetrics trainee prescribing for asthma etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It might be unethical and unadvisable as Sam says, but I would suspect that a lot of doctors and pharmacists do it. I know that when I worked in pharmacy, if I needed an antibiotic (and by that, I knew I had a bacterial chest infection, not a cold!), I would take one.

However I would go no further than this, and actually know of a case where someone died of stomach cancer because they kept taking PPI's on an ongoing basis to treat what was thought to be an ulcer rather than going to their GP until it was too late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

As Sam says it is unethical and not advisable but research tends to show about a third of doctors self diagnose and self treat regularly.

This is a reasonably consistant finding most recently here http://www.imt.ie/news/2009/12/young_gps_usually_treat_themse.html in a survey of the attitutes of "emerging GP" in Ireland..

The ethical guidelines printed by the medical council advise not to treat yourself or close family except when unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

RobFowl wrote: »
    As Sam says it is unethical and not advisable but research tends to show about a third of doctors self diagnose and self treat regularly.

Im shocked its only 1/3. When it comes to chest infections/URTI's and that kind of thing, I would imagine that almost all docs would self-treat.

Advertisement