Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Opinion

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Mods if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move. I'm not looking for medical advice.

Basically I want to go to a private hospital about some health issues I have for a second opinion. Trouble is I have to retrieve a copy of my file from my current hospital to do so. I don't want to tell them what I want it for as I want to keep my options open in relation to my treatment. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and whats the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you are entitled to get a copy of your notes under the freedom of information act.

you dont have to give any reason for wanting this,it is your entitlement.

all hospitals have a freedom of information officer- ring the switchboard, find out who it is and put it in writing to them.

they have to respond to you within acertain time period, sorry but i cant remember what that is exactly

it shouldnt be a problem, loads of people do it

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You are entitled to a second opinion if you so desire and also entitled to your medical records normally.

The place you are going to may be able to request them with a signed letter authorising this. You may be able to get them from the medical records department too, depending on policy. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

jaysus sam - too quick off the block! Like minds are indeed alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

That's great thanks to you both of you for your replies.

Just one last thing the hospital website gives 2 options. You can request info through the FOI officer or there's another option where you can request routine Medical Records. What's my best option. They are very slow about doing things so i'm looking for the quickest option.

• Advertisement

best bet is to ring foi officer snd ask their advice

i dont know what they mean by separating them like that

DrIndy wrote: »
    jaysus sam - too quick off the block! Like minds are indeed alike!

and fools seldom differ

oh, wait...:confused:

Cheers thanks Sam

no worries

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

As said, you've two options Routine Access (i.e directly from Med Records Department) and this is often provided free of charge, but can take longer, and not all hospitals have a policy on routine access. Other option is FOI, as above, but with an FOI Request you can be billed for time taken to collate the records, photocopying and postage costs, although the organisation can choose to waive these costs at their own discretion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement