Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of electricity?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

We will be moving to County Kerry near Abbeyfeale soon once the house in France is sold and would like to know how much electricity is per unit?

Night?

Day?

What is the name of the electricity company? Is there more than one provider/ competition?

The property that we are buying requires a full rewire. It looks from other threads that you need to have a registered electrician in to do the re-wire as you need them to sign it off to enable it to be connected?
    It would be great if you didn't as I would do the re-wire myself and then get in inspected and approved.

At present the meter has been removed and just the tails are there!

In France you can re-wire your house so long as it already has a electric meter installed. If no meter previous like a renovation or a new build you can still re-wire yourself but you have to have it inspected and certificated (certificate du Conformity) before ERDF will connect electricity. I have done 3 new installations now and passed consuel inspection after a few modifications.
    Completing on purchase in about 10days:D James:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Firstly good luck with the move, its a nice part of the country too.

Esb are the biggest supplier to the market. They have all the info and pricing on their site here:https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pricing.jsp

They have competition from Bord Gáis and Airtricity.

/since you have to get a meter installed, you will have to connect a new connection from ESB networks. To get connected you will have to give them a cert to say the house is in a fit state to be connected.

You could do the stuff yourself yes, but finding someone to cert it for you would be a bit tricky. They may not be willing to cert it as they wouldn't know what your like, plus you wouldn't be familar with the irish rules and regs. Working with a contractor might be a way forward. im sure they would be glad of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Davy wrote: »
    Firstly good luck with the move, its a nice part of the country too.

Esb are the biggest supplier to the market. They have all the info and pricing on their site here:https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pricing.jsp

They have competition from Bord Gáis and Airtricity.

/since you have to get a meter installed, you will have to connect a new connection from ESB networks. To get connected you will have to give them a cert to say the house is in a fit state to be connected.

You could do the stuff yourself yes, but finding someone to cert it for you would be a bit tricky. They may not be willing to cert it as they wouldn't know what your like, plus you wouldn't be familar with the irish rules and regs. Working with a contractor might be a way forward. im sure they would be glad of the work.

Hi thanks for the links. The price of electricity between France and Ireland on the rural nightsaver tariff.

France Day 0.0587 Ireland Day 0.1506
    France Night 0.0519 Ireland Night. 0.0745

The standing charges are about the same.

We were thinking of heating our water by immersion but will now link up the multifuel stove to heat the water and an immersion element for summer. We will heat it at night!! I will try and get an electrician in who will let me do all the wire runs etc and he does the connecting etc. Are the Irish regs similar to UK wiring and regulations? Ring mains and loop in lighting circuits etc? If so UK electrics are very simple compared to French:) James.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Are the Irish regs similar to UK wiring and regulations? Ring mains and loop in lighting circuits etc? If so UK electrics are very simple compared to French

afaik more or less.....ring mains (for sockets) but lighting is usually on two seperate circuits and have own circuit breakers on fuse board.

Usually have two circuit breakers for lights and maybe 4+ for socket circuits, cooker/immersion/heating/shower would have their own individual circuits.

U mad moving here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

danjo I think you would be lucky to find a registered contractor to let you first fix a house and to finish and cert it for you.
    You would be best to contact a few local guys and see how you could get their price down by doing all the chasing, lifting floorboards and drilling yourself.
    Our regs aren't that far removed from UK, however there have been major changes with effect from Oct 1 2009.

ECSSA are located in Co. Kerry, try their website www.ecssa.ie, and search for a local contractor.

Best of luck with it.

danjo I think you would be lucky to find a registered contractor to let you first fix a house and to finish and cert it for you.
    You would be best to contact a few local guys and see how you could get their price down by doing all the chasing, lifting floorboards and drilling yourself.
    Our regs aren't that far removed from UK, however there have been major changes with effect from Oct 1 2009.

ECSSA are located in Co. Kerry, try their website www.ecssa.ie, and search for a local contractor.

Best of luck with it.

Hi thank you both for your replies. When I move over once our house is sold in France get some quotes for re-wiring and see if any are prepared to work with me. It is the most easy re-wire as it is a 2 bed bungalow and I was thinking of running the new wires from the consumer unit into the unboarded attic and then drop down the wall to the sockets switches etc. There is no drilling or chasing as it will be dry lined and insulated after. I would say doing it myself it would take me about 5 days tops!! Anyone have any idea how much a rewire would cost for a 2 bed bungalow with electric cooker, tumble dryer, dishwasher, water heater etc? James:cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

ring mains no longer allowed from last september.new regs introduced

meercat wrote: »

I think it may be easier for me just to get an electrician in to do the job but is there anywhere that has the new wiring circuits and basic regulations that I could view? As if I have no idea how the wiring should be I don't want to pay for an installation that does not conform.

In France there are no ring mains allowed and no twin and earth as the earth wire isn't insulated and is smaller than the live and neutral.
    All high load appliances like washing macine, tumble dryer, cooker, dishwasher etc have their own individual dedicated circuit to the mcb protected by a RCCB 40amp or 63amp 30ma type A protection for kitchens and bathrooms etc. Max number of ordinary non high load sockets is 5 per mcb. In our 3 bedroom house of 100sqm there is 2 RCCB 30ma and 19 mcb's!! all protected as well by edf own breaker!!
    It takes a lot of wire!! Especially as we have 19 circuits!! The cable all has to be run in conduit and everything has to be accesible. I fitted all of the connections in flush mounted boxes with a removable cover. The lighting is done so that you have an upstairs and a downstairs circuit all junction box system but the live to the light goes to the light switch first and then onto the light. Lights are DCL fittings and have to support a weight of 25kg!!!!! They are good as you can just unplug the light!! A seperate outdoor lighting circuit with lights fitted at all outside doors with pir detection. All cross bonding taken back to the consumer unit seperately. Bath, washbasin,shower,water heater, water main etc Main earth to outside 25mm sq copper wire buried in the soil with an earth rod on the end. In my case 10mtrs of it!! Max reading 100 ohms. mine tested as 10. You also have to install tv and telephone points in most rooms. RJ45 telephone points and you wire them back to your coffret du communication. If anything is wrong on the inspection you have to put it right and then pay again for a re-inspection. It is very strict for a new build!! This is the very basics in France. James:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

you might be better off.he may let you help him out.if installation is not right you wont get it certified and it may cost more to redo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

meercat wrote: »

only outlawed in kitchens

Advertisement