Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

96 VW polo - removing door panel; how remove window winders?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone offer help as to removing the (manual) window winders on my 96 VW Polo? Image below.

I'm trying to remove the inside door panel/card on driver's door to get access to the door and lock mechanism - I borked the lock during the cold snap and am trying to fix it myself. Any instructions I've found online simply say "unclip the cover on the window winder" - as you can see from the pic I've tried every which way to remove it, but no success.

Any help appreciated, ta!

photo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

turn the winder so it's pointing down

remove sellotape :D

pull the thick plastic clip (behind the winder) upwards

handle comes off

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

You are a frickin legend, thanks!

I take it you're familiar with taking polos apart? Now that I have the panel off, there's a foamy cover sheet stuck to the main part of the door, do you reckon I have to peel it off? Looks like I can't do it without destroying the sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

here ya go nice workshop manual for ya ;)

Thanks for that pic. Do you happen to have one showing detail of locking mechanism itself?

Oh, and what do you reckon about tearing off the protective sheet?

ill have a look for ya gimmy sec.ah its only a bit of foam take it off be grand.
    Heres an assembly of the door what do you want to do take out the lock?
    can get ya a pic of that if you want

There ya go lad.If theres anything else give us a shout ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the sheet is waterproofing insulation, just make sure you stick it back when you're finished.

Car Mad wrote: »

Sound. Yeah, I'm probably going to have to take out the whole lock so any pics would be great thanks.

The cylindrical bit (the barrel?) of the lock seems to have come disconnected from the rest of the mechanism - today it came out completely with the key. It turns fine but doesn't actually do anything. From your pics I can't quite see how the barrel's supposed to connect up.

BTW, can I ask what program/doc you got those pics etc from? Looks very useful!

i presume tis something like this you want if im on the right track tell me ill post up the rest its fairly long with plenty of diagrams.Its called elsa its vw's workshop program has everything in it.Im an ex Vw tech.

Definitely on track, thanks again. The cylinder in the last pic you posted looks quite different to mine though. Also, mine doesn't have the spring clip... maybe it popped off and is down inside the door cavity though.

I've attached a (crap) pic of the cylinder and key - does it match any of your diagrams?

lock_barrel.jpg

well from the pic this is all I could find.It will give you an idea of the lock and if theres anything missing.If your missing the parts.If your missing or have broken clips and need to get a set there called ''tumbler plates for lock cylinder'' i have attached a pic of the part the number 22 is highlighted.They cost a nice bit i have an old parts program and your talkin 40 quid ex vat.Might be just a case of a missing clip that you will have to find best of luck.Let us know how you get on;)

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the help.

Just a quick followup in case this thread becomes useful to other people in future. In my case the paddle in one of the pics above had snapped when I tried to force the lock (it seems it does this by design). You can buy a second-hand door handle and lock assembly from a car breakers for about 20 euro (I got mine in Cullen parts in Walkinstown). This includes the handle, lock cylinder, paddle and fittings - however if you've lost/bust your cylinder you'll need to bring it to a locksmith or garage to match your own key.

It's quite simple once you've got those diagrams - for me it was a 20min job after taking 1.5 days stripping down the doors to find out what was wrong :(

fullerand wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the help.

Just a quick followup in case this thread becomes useful to other people in future. In my case the paddle in one of the pics above had snapped when I tried to force the lock (it seems it does this by design). You can buy a second-hand door handle and lock assembly from a car breakers for about 20 euro (I got mine in Cullen parts in Walkinstown). This includes the handle, lock cylinder, paddle and fittings - however if you've lost/bust your cylinder you'll need to bring it to a locksmith or garage to match your own key.

It's quite simple once you've got those diagrams - for me it was a 20min job after taking 1.5 days stripping down the doors to find out what was wrong :(

Well at least it was a cheap fix for ya lad.Yes them diagrams come in handy thats why I got em :D Very handy program to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dundrod

thanks to all who posted on this problem my own 99 polo did the same it was a quick job thanks to the help on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

My back pass anger door wont open from inside. I opened it from outside and was fiddling around with it. Think I accidently put child lock on! Now door wont open at all. Its a 1998 VW Golf-any idea on how much this will cost me to repair! Prob need a new lock I am going to bring it to a mechanic as Im not to be trusted around tools!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I've got a 99 polo where the drivers window mechanism is broken. It's the windy up type. Anyone know if it's something that can be fixed at home? I'm stoney broke and unfortunately it needs this to be working to pass the NCT. If i push the widow down with my hand it'll wind it up but it won't wind it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 King9

Car Mad wrote: »
    ill have a look for ya gimmy sec.ah its only a bit of foam take it off be grand.

There ya go lad.If theres anything else give us a shout ;)

Car Mad any chance you can tell me how to replace the mirror switch on 00 Reg 3 Door Polo?

Have the new switch but am unsure if I just prize the old one out or do I need to remove some of the trim :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

great tips

Advertisement