Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badminton

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am looking for possible vacancies to accomodate one lady and one man for regular, 'play for fun (non league) only' badminton in Co Mayo.

Does such a club or group of players exist? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

kaizer13 wrote: »
    I am looking for possible vacancies to accomodate one lady and one man for regular, 'play for fun (non league) only' badminton in Co Mayo.

Does such a club or group of players exist? :)

There used to be one in crossmolina that played on a Wednesday nite in the hall.I'm not sure who was in charge of it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

where in MAyo are you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

yop wrote: »
    where in MAyo are you :)
    between cross and castlebar, bandit country :-) yourself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ah ok, I spotted in the Mayo News that the have badminton classes in a place called Lecanvey, its out near Murrisk.
    Probably too far away I think

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kaizer13

Thank you all for your replies.

The wife and I are planning to emigrate to Mayo in 2010 and we will be settling in the Foxford and Swinford region of the county.

Where we are at present, we have been running a 'play for fitness and fun only' badminton club since 1985 and recognise the social and well-being benefits of such an activity for juniors and seniors alike. When we leave, the club will probably close, unless someone else is prepared to take on the necessary committment.

We are looking forward to our new lives in Co Mayo and are very keen to become part of the community. We see our interest in playing badminton as a way of meeting like-minded people and relish the thought of becoming playing members in someone else's club.

We have a few hurdles to leap yet before we can make our move but it would be useful to make some appropriate badminton contacts.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

A lot of the local community centres would host Badminton games - I'm sure there's one in Ballina and Killala.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Check out the Mayo sports partnership website

http://www.mayosports.ie/SportsDirectory/Index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

My daughter goes to badmington in Ballina Sports and Leisure centre every Saturday morning. They have a lot of kids there that are really big into it. It also has a gym and the swimming pool is right next door. I will try and find out when they have adult sessions on this weekend for you.

Samhain wrote: »
    Check out the Mayo sports partnership website

http://www.mayosports.ie/SportsDirectory/Index.aspx

Thanks for this link Samhain. I have browsed the contents and am well pleased to see contact details for so many different sporting activities in the area. And we thought that Mayo was just about fishing....

Can't wait to get there.

:)

shaca wrote: »
    My daughter goes to badmington in Ballina Sports and Leisure centre every Saturday morning. They have a lot of kids there that are really big into it. It also has a gym and the swimming pool is right next door. I will try and find out when they have adult sessions on this weekend for you.

Thanks in anticipation shaca. Good to hear that youngsters are getting a chance to learn the game. Parents struggle to find time or inclination nowadays to transport or encourage their children to such activities. They would sooner buy them computer games and dvd's. Keep up your good work.

• Advertisement

So, nearly eight years later, we are finally settled in Mayo.

Time now to get the rackets out and come out of our three year retirement from the game.

Unable to find a suitable, local badminton club, we have decided to form our own and are looking forward to a favourable response from the local community.

Anyone in the Killasser area interested?

Advertisement