Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting to Limerick

• 12-01-2010 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey everybody!

Today I start my 16 week training plan for the Limerick marathon. Wanted to just start a log to keep a record of how it's going

Just a bit of background, I'm 23 and not very athletic. Bit of 5-a-side now and then would be the extent of it. I started running last May from having never ran for anything other than a bus and being fairly unfit. Ran a couple of races:

5km -25mins (roughly, have it written down somewhere!)
    10mile -88mins (Frank Duffy, very happy with this race)
    Half Marathon -126mins (Race went terribly, shuttle bus to the start didn't arrive and had to run to the start line and start straight away! Not fun!)

Had planned on doing the Dublin Marathon but I got a new job in Oct and had to move and the training suffered and honestly, I really hadn't done enough training so it was just as well I didn't try it. Stopped running in Oct after the move and only started again in mid Dec but did very little over Christmas as you can imagine!

I was disappointed to have missed Dublin so I am definately going to make up for it in Limerick this year! Finishing is the aim not so concerned with time! Plan on starting with the Raheny 5mile on the 31st Jan and then maybe the cupid's dash. Reading "the non-runner's marathon guide" and "run your first marathon" by Grete Waitz, they both have very similar 16wk plans which I shall be following.

So thats the plan, feel free to have a read and comment and let me know what I'm doing wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zeptar

My training starts today but I did a bit of running last week which I thought I'd put up:

04/01/10: 8km -43mins
    05/01/10: 6.4km -38mins
    06/01/10: 5-a-side -1hr
    07/01/10: 6.4km -37mins

Decided to move over to kms. Seems to make more sense.
    Had to do two of those runs on a treadmill, total nightmare, so boring. Couldn't get out at the weekend, went home and no gym there, didn't want to chance the ice. Played some footie on wed, nothing too intense but thinking it might be a bit much with all the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zeptar

Since I started running I have always got blisters on the arches of my feet and just assumed that it was part of running. Been getting some bad ones recently and thought I should get gait analysis done and see if getting fitted for a pair a runners would help.
    Went to runways and apparently I underpronate and the runners I had were for people who overpronate, the exact opposite of what I needed. Tried a few in the shop and could feel a difference. Bought a pair of Nike Vomero 4s. They feel great but are luminous green:eek:!! The guy there was really helpful and wasn't in a hurry to get rid of me. Glad he didn't have a "you actually think you can run a marathon?" attitude!

Advertisement