Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark McGwire admits using steroids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No surprise but still an appalling admission from him. The 'steroid era' is one of the most shameful periods in any professional sport anywhere. The entire 90's should be wiped from the record books.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

Again Jose Canseco is proved to be telling the truth, he was lambasted for his book but 1 by 1, they are being flushed out.
    jose2.bmp

they were all at it, if bonds had any sack he would pony up and admit it too and put an end to that generation of ball players, any man whose head swells to about three times the size it was when he was 20 is taking roids, angel dust or something.
    Any baseball fan should read this book, great entertainment and insight into what was going on back then:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juiced:_Wild_Times,_Rampant_%27Roids,_Smash_Hits_%26_How_Baseball_Got_Big

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

very interesting interview with McGwire by Bob Costas on the MLB.com website

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7148421&topic_id=7898602

"I took steroids for health purposes, I did not take steroids hitting purposes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Hopefully Bonds can now do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

If Bonds comes out now and says he was using, the difference is that he'll go to jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Weirdish interview.

I'm not a big critic of the steroid players in general. I agree with what McGwire to a certain extent when he said that no pill or steroid can help you hit a baseball.

However I just can't understand why he refused to acknowledge he got stronger as a result of juice. Of course you got stronger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I agree with what McGwire to a certain extent when he said that no pill or steroid can help you hit a baseball.

Yeah but it can turn a long fly ball into a 3 run homer! Its easy to feel sorry for him watching the interview but I still think they shouldn't have been so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

No one can be surprised. Not when top players like Bonds and A-Rod do (or have done) the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

When are the baseball authorities get their act together and expunge all those bogus HR records. They should reinstate Roger Maris record for the good of the game.
    Bonds, McGwire and Sosa should be shown for the cheats they were!

zuutroy wrote: »
    Yeah but it can turn a long fly ball into a 3 run homer! Its easy to feel sorry for him watching the interview but I still think they shouldn't have been so stupid.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, thats why I couldn't understand why he refused to admit it didn't make him stronger or help with some homers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

dougal wrote: »
    When are the baseball authorities get their act together and expunge all those bogus HR records. They should reinstate Roger Maris record for the good of the game.
    Bonds, McGwire and Sosa should be shown for the cheats they were!

You can add A Rod to that list too.
    Baring serious injury, he's going to break the career home run record and he's also a steroid cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Don't know if this will interest you folks but Lance Williams of Game Of Shadows fame was on RTE last night.

You can listen to him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

Just to reinforce my earlier point about canseco, I feel for the man, ok, hes obviously not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, loose cannon is a phrase that springs to mind but at least he tells it like it is and he has been totally ostracized by the baseball community.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jose-canseco-says-mark-mcgwire-lying-about-steroid-use-011210

Whats you guys view of canseco?

Personally I think he's a slime ball.

Can't argue with what he said about each player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

zuutroy wrote: »

And for the same reason they inject it into our own arses when we injure ourselves - it helps you heal and rehabilitate at super-human rates. 162 games a year, folks. That takes it's toll, especially if you're not on the juice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

JohnHenry wrote: »
    Whats you guys view of canseco?

Having met him several times, my personal opinion is that he is a prick.

He was dead-on with what he said about the players using steroids though. He called them all out and they all lied through their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Reindeer wrote: »
    And for the same reason they inject it into our own arses when we injure ourselves - it helps you heal and rehabilitate at super-human rates. 162 games a year, folks. That takes it's toll, especially if you're not on the juice...

Tell that to Cal Ripken jr.

Advertisement