Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick a beautiful city :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

pff..these are the two I used in the hometown thread on rec! people should post here their vids of Limerick, a montage if u will like a tour of Limerick, also someone should do one on the nightlife ie clubs and bars only, would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Ah how refreshing! Not a tracksuit or hoody in sight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I admire your attempts to put something together showing Limerick in a good light, but there's a bit too much cheap 1990's/2000's architecture there for my liking. There's a lot of talking about the great strides Limerick has made in recent years, but there has been very little quality development in recent decades. Most of the new buildings are dated and ugly (not to mention poorly maintained!) within five years of construction. We have very low standards if this is what we see as beautiful. I don't like saying it, but i think Limerick is getting worse rather than better and the next few years will show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Peoples Park looks more beautiful every year.
    IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

zulutango wrote: »
    I admire your attempts to put something together showing Limerick in a good light, but there's a bit too much cheap 1990's/2000's architecture there for my liking. There's a lot of talking about the great strides Limerick has made in recent years, but there has been very little quality development in recent decades. Most of the new buildings are dated and ugly (not to mention poorly maintained!) within five years of construction. We have very low standards if this is what we see as beautiful. I don't like saying it, but i think Limerick is getting worse rather than better and the next few years will show that.

I think Limerick has improved vastly. A lot of the developments were privatley financed and built from derelict underused sites. Limerick city as a whole is now putting its attention to its urban and historic fabric. I agree with you on some points where some buildings are not that great, but thats life, I don't think perfection is required here. But your wrong that Limerick has gotten worse, Limerick was horrid in the early 90s and late 80s. I think they do NOW need to focus more and regenerating the Kings Island, Georgion and Irish town areas. While more plush modern developments built int he city centre and riverside.

I think Limerick is improving all the time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

For me, and indeed many others, the jewel in Limerick's architectural crown remains the Georgian buildings of the Newtown Pery area of the city. I was sad to learn though that these buildings are horrendously and prohibitively expensive to refurbish.

We may think that the buildings erected recently in Limerick pale against the Georgian buildings aesthetically, but there isn't a city in the world where the newer architecture is more aesthetically pleasing than the old in my opinion. Limerick is no different.

Advertisement