Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Blackrock(Dundalk)

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi i was just wondering if anyone can recommend a broadband provider for me living in Blackrock (Dundalk). I moved here in july '09 into a new build estate and immediately applied for eircom's 7mb broadband package...........still waitin!!! They have been fobbin me off since then telling me that because its a new estate that its up to the developers to get the connections sorted even though a neighbour 3 doors down has been using their 3mb package for the last 5 months and the site foreman has told me the wiring is in place for my house! I have called eircom at least 20 times and the last time i called i got a "manager" who first told me they were waiting for a license?? then told me they had run out of cable??!! I told her that my neighbour already had eircom broadband for months to which she had no reply! My neighbour even told me that 2 months after he got his broadband eircom called him on his eircom landline asking if he still wanted an eircom phoneline! This is beyond a joke. Can anyone clear up where i stand with them on this as it seems to me to be taking the absolute piss.

I seem to be really stuck with options, i have called digiweb but apparently they don't cover blackrock. I was waiting for wimax but after reading the posts here i dont like the look of the pings as i do be on xbox live a right bit. I have even tried a 3g dongle but useless too as i don't have great 3g reception here.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the exclamation marks but i am just so pissed off with them.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Louth Video DVD

I would highly recommend that you talk to Net One.

I have been using them since they set up in Dundalk
    with Very satisfactory results, I even used them as the
    sole supplier of Broadband to an Internet Cafe in Dundalk for 4 years.

I am not sure if they are currently supplying Blackrock, but they
    are definately worth the trouble of a phone call.
    You will find all their details on www.net1.ie

Gerry

keveire wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering if anyone can recommend a broadband provider for me living in Blackrock (Dundalk). I moved here in july '09 into a new build estate and immediately applied for eircom's 7mb broadband package...........still waitin!!! They have been fobbin me off since then telling me that because its a new estate that its up to the developers to get the connections sorted even though a neighbour 3 doors down has been using their 3mb package for the last 5 months and the site foreman has told me the wiring is in place for my house! I have called eircom at least 20 times and the last time i called i got a "manager" who first told me they were waiting for a license?? then told me they had run out of cable??!! I told her that my neighbour already had eircom broadband for months to which she had no reply! My neighbour even told me that 2 months after he got his broadband eircom called him on his eircom landline asking if he still wanted an eircom phoneline! This is beyond a joke. Can anyone clear up where i stand with them on this as it seems to me to be taking the absolute piss.

I seem to be really stuck with options, i have called digiweb but apparently they don't cover blackrock. I was waiting for wimax but after reading the posts here i dont like the look of the pings as i do be on xbox live a right bit. I have even tried a 3g dongle but useless too as i don't have great 3g reception here.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the exclamation marks but i am just so pissed off with them.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Contact comreg and tell them that you've been waiting for eircom to install a phone line for almost a year, and that they keep making up excuses as to why they won't install a phone line, and that nearby neighbours have a phone line in place already in the same estate.

Edit: I see that this thread was started a couple of months ago, but OP if you're still having problems then drop your local TD and former communications minister a line (no irony intended) and express your dismay and frustration at eircom's behaviour and ask what can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I would highly recommend that you talk to Net One.
    They are very dear. To the OP, have a look at some of the comments here on boards about them first, a mate of mine had awful problems with them just over a year ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

In relation to the problem with even getting a phoneline sorted, when i was moving into my new house, in a new estate, i was told the same thing by Eircom when i rang them. No phoneline for 6 months because of 'pending work' on the connection to the entire estate even though my laptops wireless could pick up 3 seperate Eircom wireless networks SSIDs from the surrounding houses.

I decided i'd try to order through the website myself and a week later an engineer called (unannounced mind) and set up my phoneline in ten minutes and a week or so after that my router arrived and i now have a fully functional 3mb connection on a line that won't exist for another three months according to the Eircom tele-sales monkey.

Do as much as you can yourself when it comes to issues with Eircom. Never phone or e-mail them because the are the masters of the fob-off. The really haven't got a clue about the product they are selling.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They are very dear. To the OP, have a look at some of the comments here on boards about them first, a mate of mine had awful problems with them just over a year ago.

Most of the comments on them here are positive, except for the time it takes for installation. I've suggested them to people who couldn't get a pass on their eircom line (used to be a very common in rural Louth). I haven't any connection to them which is why I wouldn't give a thumbs up without decent evidence that service is good. Also, their cost of the installation is more than an eircom line but it's still reflective of the inherent cost of setting something up from a small regional provider's point of view. Apparently the install cost is about €150 or so, according to their website. Eircom charge €121

Service quality has been fine from what threads on boards say for the past couple of years at least. Ever since they dropped the old, ****ty Irish Broadband for backhaul and got a proper wholesale carrier to provide backhaul. Cable and Wireless I think.

mickydoomsux makes a good point. Only the local linesman will have an idea, and I assume the Blackrock exchange is manned by Dundalk exchange employees. If you do see an eircom man around Dundalk, you could ask them what the story is. Also, you've nothing to lose by trying an online order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keveire

Thanks everyone for the advice. Am still without a line so i'll take your advice and get on to comreg. Like mickydoomsux, i can pick up at least 4 or 5 eircom ssid's on the pc so the lines are obviously there. They really must not talk to each other at eircom.

As far as net 1 go i find they are a bit expensive but i heard ice are apparently in trouble and maybe folding and there are rumours that digiweb were going to take their masts so maybe they will provide the blackrock area soon.

Its so frustrating using a 3g dongle in a poor reception area.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Am still without a line so i'll take your advice and get on to comreg. Like mickydoomsux, i can pick up at least 4 or 5 eircom ssid's on the pc so the lines are obviously there. They really must not talk to each other at eircom.

As far as net 1 go i find they are a bit expensive but i heard ice are apparently in trouble and maybe folding and there are rumours that digiweb were going to take their masts so maybe they will provide the blackrock area soon.

Its so frustrating using a 3g dongle in a poor reception area.

Did you try ordering online? It might work, and it would be a quicker and simpler solution rather than going the official route if it works. Besides, you can still order online even if you contact Comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keveire

I had already applied online to_be_confirmed, but might just reapply again, cant do any harm. cheers.

I had already applied online to_be_confirmed, but might just reapply again, cant do any harm. cheers.

Ah. Keep us updated, it's very useful for other people having problems to see how a problem was resolved!

Advertisement