Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi ,first post!!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hello all,,, just a few quick questions.i fly fish mainly for salmon and sea trout(the blackwater waterford,fane,boyne,liffey,drowes) ,and more frequently of late for wild brown trout ,in rivers in wicklow and kildare but have yet to fish any lakes in this area for brownies.
    am hoping to try roundwood resevoir,is bank fishing an option there??,how are day tickets obtained??
    Also ive been up to lough dan many times to walk and im still unsure as to who if anyone owns the fishing rights,has anyone fished here,i would imagine with it feeding the avonmore it would contain some nice fish,and it is very accessible in parts.
    Any other lakes for bank fishing in this general area?? and any tips on flyies and techniques for these type of lakes???
    any info taken gratefully.
    roll on spring!!!!!
    tight lines.
    regards
    cj :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

unbelievable as it sounds lough dan and lough tay are private fisheries owned mostly by the Guinness estate!

the roundwood reservoir can be fished for a couple of euro a day.

here's the info:

http://www.glenmalurelodge.com/game.html

any other readers with knowledge of wicklow please feel free to share. the avonmore river really is a beauty, 5 euro a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

You could try Blessington lake. It holds some wild brown trout and the ESB stock it annually with brown and rainbow trout. Permits are available at Charles Camping Blessington.

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bohernabreena would be another one, some good fishing available from the shore there. Access is controlled by the Dodder anglers club and membership cards are available in any of the dublin tackle shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

i will be definatly be trying roundwood, bohernabreena would be past tallaght is that right??,,is it stocked,are there wild fish in it??.
    its a real shame permits cant be got for loch dan,its a beautiful accsesible lake.have fished the avonmore a good few times some beautiful wild trout,had one about half pound up by clara vale ,great on a 3wt rod!!
    is blessington fishable from the bank??
    thanks for the info

wgsten wrote: »
    You could try Blessington lake. It holds some wild brown trout and the ESB stock it annually with brown and rainbow trout. Permits are available at Charles Camping Blessington.

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

love the web blog ,,some great reading,,some of the rivers you mention would be in the general area i fish.must try some of the spots you talk of.great that people share the knowledge ;).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

cj salmon wrote: »
    i will be definatly be trying roundwood, bohernabreena would be past tallaght is that right??,,is it stocked,are there wild fish in it??.
    Yep, it's just 5 minutes or so outside tallaght. As far as I know it's stocked occasionally, but most of the fish are well naturalised. I think I heard that it hasn't actually been stocked for the last few years.

I can't give much help on techniques etc, I've only been a few times and not caught, but I've had a few missed takes on small dries of the standard varieties. Talking to someone the last time I was there, he'd caught a few on a booby fished with a sinking line and very slow retrieve, but he said in general it's natural imitations that work well over lures.

good stuff will pay it a visit.much prefer fishing natural imataions to attractor lures paticularly dry flies great sport ,having said that the lures catch there fair share of fish,and most my salmon flies would be general atrractor patterns.
    Have you any idea of the opening date for bohernabreena? march at some stage??
    many thanks again for the help guys.
    hope to get some taken fish pics up soon.up to the drowes next month ,hopefully some pics after that trip ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Welcome CJ. I fish both reservoirs in Roundwood occasionally from the shore. Only been fishing them in the past couple of years which have been particularily wet so access has been tricky. You need to know the bed fairly well to be comfortable wading in the few spots that's possible when the water is high. A season ticket can be had from the waterworks office for €12. There is a club with boats on both reservoirs as well as Lough Dan but there is a waiting list.

The fishing there has a reputation for being slow at times. Fishing at various times of year, I've had success from about half my visits which doesn't sound great. On the plus side if you hit it right you could easily come away with three or four nice trout. Also I've found there are more trout over the pound than might be suggested in anything you might read.

I found the best fishing is in July with a light breeze when swarms of silverhorns drift onto the water. One of the first times I fished the lower resevoir was one wet and windy night in May which looked hopeless. I started just half an hour before dark and immediately caught a nice trout over a pound followed quickly by another slightly bigger. Nothing then for about ten minutes until I hooked an lost what felt like an even better fish. There aren't many places in Wicklow where you can get wild brown trout fishing like that, so I'd say it's worth the effort. It's still a far cry though from the quality of fishing on the western lakes.

If you search here, you'll find a few posts about Roundwood. Might see you up there next season.

JR

thanks jr greay info,,getting itchy fingers now,,come on march

Advertisement