Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nissan patrol yes or no??

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, am in the market at the minute for a 2nd hand passenger jeep. Land cruisers i think are a bit overpriced and i've always had an unexplainable dislike for all things mitsubishi. so that leaves the patrol. anyone have one? i'm looking at a 04 one at the minute for decent money and would welcome any opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're often overlooked. they're all highly specced. they're very wide and low and they're more tank-like than a LC or Pajero.
    The old 6 cylinder 2.8 was very smooth but the 3.0 Di is rough enough but easier on juice.
    Mate has a 3.0 for the last 3 years and it's never let him down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

There is a actuator on some of them that lets you 'turn off'' the rear anti-roll bar.

It basically is a roll bar link that can be made non rigid. If the ends go on it I believe they cannot be got separate and the whole assy is quite dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thanksforcummin

spoke to someone this morning who reckons that out of the big passenger jeeps the patrol is the best off road by far but on the road their slow and very big and heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

They are probably the last of the big old fashioned off road buses, basic versions are well respected in Oz and the like (where there's plenty of room! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Apparently, in Australia people rate them higher than a LandCruiser for reliability and off-road capability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The older GQ series was a beast NA 4.2 6 cyl was a great engine, mind you the LC also had a 4.2 but it was lighter and made more grunt.
    I have seen the odd SWB Patrol around and they are still almost as big as the LWB 90 series.
    I don't think the old 2.8 was that slow either quite a lot of power from that lump.
    I would have a Patrol no problem at all.
    The rest of the Nissan softroaders - no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sparkleby

Have a 02 Patrol 3.0 Di - bought for towing as I own one of the heaviest horse boxes on the market (1400kg) and two big horses (650kg each) to tow. We also live right up the Wicklow Gap so often get snow bound. It's never let us down, towing, off road, in snow/ice or just doing the daily commute.

Would have another happily having previously had Discoveries, Toopers and Pajeros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Hi. I drive these all the time in the Defence Forces.

Absolutly Legend vehicles but the turbo was nearly always the first thing to blow after a few months.

Highly recommended they'll drive almost anywhere.

What bean counter was responsible for allowing the purchase of Pajeros for the DF I wonder?
    The options should have been Toyota LC or Nissan Patrol, the Pajero is not half the vehicle of those two and I mean in the physical sense as well.
    I saw one recently doing CIT work and it looked toytown beside the Patrol to be perfectly frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What bean counter was responsible for allowing the purchase of Pajeros for the DF I wonder?
    The options should have been Toyota LC or Nissan Patrol, the Pajero is not half the vehicle of those two and I mean in the physical sense as well.
    I saw one recently doing CIT work and it looked toytown beside the Patrol to be perfectly frank.

Cheapest option will always win though mate.

Mitsubishi's have lots of power and better acceleration than the Nissan, haven't driven them as much or taken them off road so can't really comment too much on them, they are cramped and boxy though compared to the Nissans, lots of mod-cons aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Hey, am in the market at the minute for a 2nd hand passenger jeep. Land cruisers i think are a bit overpriced and i've always had an unexplainable dislike for all things mitsubishi. so that leaves the patrol. anyone have one? i'm looking at a 04 one at the minute for decent money and would welcome any opinions.

have a patrol.. big chunky 4x4 nice to drive and nicely specced, i would rate it higher than the LC and is nice to drive on motorway ours is manual, but have noticed a good number of autos were registered before nissan ireland stopped stocking them, around 2007 if i remember so in this climate a bargain could be had, due to high tax..
    great for pulling trailers, and the bit of off roading i have done in it, its very capable. cost us €65k new when we bought.
    only one thing, is that it likes its diesel, which is standard in this engine range, i use it mainly for pulling boat trailers and launching/recovering boats from slipways, its a fantastic machine.. service costs are not that high, even in main dealers..

nissan uk and nissan ireland no longer list them on their sites.... so i guess they stopped making them? can anyone confirm?

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Cheapest option will always win though mate.

Mitsubishi's have lots of power and better acceleration than the Nissan, haven't driven them as much or taken them off road so can't really comment too much on them, they are cramped and boxy though compared to the Nissans, lots of mod-cons aswell.

I agree, but when people's lives depend on their transport you tend to specify a better class of vehicle.
    I can't see them lasting anywhere near as long as the Patrols though, given that the Pajero don't have a seperate ladder chassis, comfy on road but not good for a long offroad life.
    I wonder were they brought as a vehicle for running around Ireland not for foreign deployment?
    When I see a couple of guys get in with Steyrs there is not a whole pile of room at all, the Patrol was a lot wider.

i think the main reason was that nissan ireland stopped supplying them, and no longer do, seems like nissan uk has done the same.

edit

just seen this http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/spy_shot_2009_nissan_patrol
    seems like down under they can still be had......:mad::mad:

Honda08 wrote: »
    i think the main reason was that nissan ireland stopped supplying them, and no longer do, seems like nissan uk has done the same.

edit

just seen this http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/spy_shot_2009_nissan_patrol
    seems like down under they can still be had......:mad::mad:

Thats because Australia is a country where a 4x4 is actually a necessity in places. Surely the replacement should have been the Toyota LC 100/200 series?
    Or the HJZ75 troop carriers? They would be a far better vehicle.

Thats because Australia is a country where a 4x4 is actually a necessity in places. Surely the replacement should have been the Toyota LC 100/200 series?
    Or the HJZ75 troop carriers? They would be a far better vehicle.

it seems a little strange to stop selling the patrol in europe...
    it sold well as it was always that bit cheaper than the passenger LC,

they pulled the Patrol because it didn't comply with emissions regulations, they were doing crazy deals on new ones back in 07

colm_mcm wrote: »
    they pulled the Patrol because it didn't comply with emissions regulations, they were doing crazy deals on new ones back in 07

thats a bummer. we paid €64k in 2006 and in 07 i believe they were selling for €48k

however, they are now a great buy second hand. had a look on autotrader uk, and there were 35! you can get an 06 one with 9000 miles on it for 15kstg...

i wonder what the vrt on that would be.? anyways it would be at the €2000 road tax rate.,,.. unless you brought it in commercially.

€2000 tax only applies to 2008 onwards vehicles.

While all imported vehicles are VRT'd on emissions, the tax is cc based for pre-08 and emissions based for 08 onwards.

VRT on a 2006 3.0 Di is €10k

Advertisement