Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panicky Dad,chillaxed Mam!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all...forgive me for asking the same same questions again but am a panicky soon to be daddy and would like to get it all condensed down!My wife is 6 wks gone,when do we contact our GP?Will she refer us to a hospital for scans?When should the first scan be?Any good Irish websites out there for information?A big question(one i know has been asked many times)is where is the most recommended Dublin hospital to attend?Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Calm down. Your wife is not sick. She is pregnant, a perfectly normal condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You can contact the GP now, in fact, in the Dublin area, it seems to be important to go early to get a hospital scan early. My GP made the hospital appointment for me and I think most do, but either way, the GP has to refer you.

Hospital scan should be around the 20 wk mark, but that could depend on waiting lists etc.

I don't know anything about Dublin hospitals I'm afraid. I'm sure your GP will have information on that.

Good luck and don't panic, you've another 34+ weeks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hey
    First of all congrats :)
    Second of all breathe ..As over whelming as it is you need to play the waiting game.
    I would recommend that your wife goes to see her gp soonest as she will need to get bloods done etc
    Also check with your gp that they will refer you (I presumed mine would..She didnt )
    Im in Cork and got scanned at 13 weeks but i know that some of the ladies on these threads from the Dublin area had to wait so i do think the sooner you book the better.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Black Dog wrote: »
    Calm down. Your wife is not sick. She is pregnant, a perfectly normal condition.

You're a real help :rolleyes:

Contact your GP now, it's possible all they'll do is take your word for the pregnancy. She will explain the different types of care to you. Private, Semi-Private and Public. You can also do combined care.

Ring the hospital now to book first visit, you could potentially be waiting until your 20th week if you decide to go public before you even get seen to. Go with whichever hospital is closest to home. If Private a lot of the consultants get booked up pretty quickly so you need to be getting onto them soon too!

My GP never referred me to the hospital I had to do that myself, I just rang up and made an appointment.

You can do combined care too which is where you attend both the GP and the hospital for visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Slurms!
    Your wife is very lucky to have such a supportive and concerned hubbie :)

I think both of their forums are as Deemark mentions below are awkward to navigate though, the format here is much more user friendly and more personable too.

I'd recommend get a good informative book like 'What to expect when you're expecting' I found it really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slurms

Hi all...thanks for all the replies & yes i have(eventually) sat back & chillaxed like Mrs Slurms!;) We will get on to our GP this wk & get the ball rolling.Will let you all know what the doctors opinion is of Dublins maternity hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You can't beat this forum for all the info you need. I've even started hanging out here (mostly because of the moan thread which cracks me up no end)

First scan is usually 20 weeks nowadays with so many babies popping out. If you have the spare cash going to the likes or ultrasound dimensions for a private scan is brilliant. Especially if you want to have some cool pics and vids to go along with your news to everyone at the magic 12 weeks.

Get the "what to expect when you're expecting" book for your wife. All you need to know is that shes going to get a little crazy but you'll need to be really supportive! Ok maybe not just that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've read of a lot of people going for expensive private scans. I must be really lucky that my GP has his own scanner. It could be worth ringing a few GPs to see if they have one, as I have got a pic every time I went to see my GP.

A friend of mine asked her doc if it was possible to get an early scan and he was able to get her an early one (12 wks) in the early pregnancy clinic in the hospital.

These options could be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If you have the spare cash going to the likes or ultrasound dimensions for a private scan is brilliant. Especially if you want to have some cool pics and vids to go along with your news to everyone at the magic 12 weeks.

Definitely agree with this, we had a scan there at I think 23/24 weeks (4d) it is absolutely amazing how clear the scan is!
    Lovely keepsake to show junior when they're older too :)

Its so exciting seeing baby looking like a 'real' baby instead of like in the hospital scans where they're all grainy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think we had 4 private scans in total, partly from paranoia (previous MC) and partly from addiction. We brought my mum to the last one which was nice for her as she'd never seen a scan, only the little pics.

Because i love to share and to tempt you

11 week scan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_qLjOPMKQ

28 week 4D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBqVPclmyk

Not a scan :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGvr5NP0wTc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulatoins

I would suggest you get yourself a copy of the book "What to expect when you're expecting" it is a wonderful guide.

Also this site has lots of helpful info http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/calendar/week6

Also have you looking at the helpful links thread in this forum?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314963

The choice of hospital will come down to personal preference and often in some cases how soon they can fit you in for your first appointment or scan.

There are thread discussing the hospitals if you use the search function.

Advertisement