Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM Degree Subtleties!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I'm currently in 3rd year TSM (Music and French). This will be my last year studying French, next year I'll be doing music exclusively. Does the type of degree I get in french depend 100% on the exams I do at the end of this year. i.e. If overall in third year I get a 2.1 do I have a 2.1 degree in French.

Then for Music does my grade at the end of this year count for 50% of my degree in music??

Hope somebody can give me a definitive answer.

Cheers
    Duff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

It depends what TSM pattern you take: http://www.tcd.ie/TSM/current/exam/js.php

If you're majoring exclusively in Music in your fourth year, your overall degree will be:

35%: your grade in French in third year
    15%: your grade in Music in third year
    50% your grade (in Music) in fourth year

So if that averages to a II.1, your degree is a II.1. You don't get separate degrees for each subject.

The degree you get is a Bachelor of Arts (Moderatorship (B.A. with honors)) in Music and French.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭duffman90210

Ah, ok. Next year I'll be doing music exclusively yeah.

Balls, I got a 2.2 in first and second year in french, so that means that I'd need a first this year to get a 2.1 average?!

Oh wait, no. Is my degree not sepearted. I get a degree with ONE grade made up of the denominations above!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Oh wait, no. Is my degree not sepearted. I get a degree with ONE grade made up of the denominations above!?
    Yep.. one degree with one mark..
    Your first and second year results dont matter now.. all that matters is your third year french and music results and your fourth year music results..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

What Sir Ophiuchus said is correct! So, first and second year results in French don't matter - they will show up on a degree transcript, but they don't contribute towards your final degree classification. (Similarly, your transcript will show your final mark in each subject, but your degree is in two subjects as opposed to being two separate degrees, so both subjects contribute to whatever class of degree it is - 65% music and 35% French.)

• Advertisement

Thank **** for that!

Had two years of acting the maggot and coasting in French. Music is grand, steady as she goes with top grades, just gotta pull up the socks in French and I should be grand. Phew

Cheers lads.....back to the books with me now!

G'luck

Oh, so one final question. When applying for a masters, the requirements are often a 2.1 in French.

They'll look to my degree at that point, correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Depends on the masters. Depends on the Funding. Some times they ask for an academic transcript which lists all results. I've been asked for such a document before, its common in europe, even for Arts related masters.

Advertisement