Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Start for UCD jobseekers

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

The dull façade of the UCD Engineering building hides a conspiracy. The issuing of the ‘Statement of Results’ each year is bringing chaos to the lives of many students. Modules appear grouped into subject grades, which are meaningless to everyone. This grouping masks results in order to discourage appeals by hard working students. Many employers have complained that the ‘Statement of Results’ does not provide enough information to assess a candidates overall ability. Their strengths and weaknesses in individual modules are key to progressing a graduates job application satisfactorily. It is often better to read tea leaves than try to interpret subject grades.

There are concerns that scripts are graded on a ‘standard curve’. The appeals and remarking process would remove any subtractions made to candidates results. The UCD Students Union have not been on the students side on this matter. The abolition of the anonymous marking system occurred without consultation, opposing the union charter.

With both the University and the Union dead-set against students rights, what can be done to improve the career prospects of the next generation of graduates?

Exam Appeals Office web link: http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/pdfs/assessment_appeal_form.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

OP, you're a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd be blooming surprised if certain UCD courses (as opposed to UCD in general) aren't graded to a curve. I have no evidence, but (for example) it would explain the A I got back in 1st year in "Physics For Engineers", the year they completely changed the syllabus and brought in an impenetrable lump of Statistical Thermodynamics. I don't think "Statistics for Engineers" (2nd year) was graded to a curve, but now I've done that course, the notion of lecturers re-basing results on Standard Distribution Curve doesn't bother me in the slightest. Quite the contrary: it's a way of compensating for the varying standards of courses and lecturers. If you were at the bottom of the curve before, you still would be.

Apart from that, I don't get what you're on a about. It reads like something from the OTwo Soapbox.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

. It is often better to read tea leaves than try to interpret subject grades.
    I demand a controlled study comparing the effectiveness of tea leave based human resource management as opposed to more conventional forms before we change anything about UCD policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Have you got a link to wikipedia for this topic, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If the OP had a link to Wikipedia, it would be to an article that he'd either created or modified himself - so it wouldn't shed any light on the situation anyway. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They've really got something against Engineering don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

In recent news, tiered_jumble was today banned from the UCD forum for only having 2 posts in which he exclaimed strange conspiracy theories as fact. Sources say that the Engineering building is involved somehow. More at 11.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement