Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free electricty is it possible ,

Options
  • 11-01-2010 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

i have been looking into trying to get free electricity . at the moment i just have a wind turbine 400 watt and 2 solar panels @ 300 watt each total =1000 watt , i use 20 truck battery's ,, and into a power inverter this can easily power my lights & tv , but as far a plugging your oven in to it , it will zap every bit of power out ,,

i was told that you can make hydrogen from this free power and make a genrator run with it .. is this possible ,,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

You can use the energy coming off your solar and wind generators to make hydrogen. Storing this hydrogen is difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

i was told that you can make hydrogen from this free power and make a genrator run with it .. is this possible ,,
    Possible?
    Yes.

Efficient and safe?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

i hear that its less dangerous than propane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pppuuu

i have been looking into trying to get free electricity . at the moment i just have a wind turbine 400 watt and 2 solar panels @ 300 watt each total =1000 watt , i use 20 truck battery's ,, and into a power inverter this can easily power my lights & tv , but as far a plugging your oven in to it , it will zap every bit of power out ,,

It is possible, but it will not get you any more power than with which you started. Some of the energy will inevitably be lost in the production of the hydrogen itself.

Edited to add: this question was sufficiently answered in the other thread relating to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Gurgle wrote: »
    Possible?
    Yes.

Efficient and safe?
    No.
    I suggest looking into the Work of Nikola Tesla before suggesting it's neither safe nor efficent. OP, I suggest you look into his work as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

hindenburg.gif

Hydrogen requires a lot of care and expense to store efficiently and safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Slugs wrote: »
    I suggest looking into the Work of Nikola Tesla before suggesting it's neither safe nor efficent. OP, I suggest you look into his work as well.
    Which part are you questioning?

Safety - I suggest you look up 'Hindenberg', or just look at the picture trellheim posted.
    Efficiency - Best of luck, see you at the Nobel prize ceremony.

I'm pretty sure Tesla's work was mentioned once or twice in college, as was electrolysis. Though AFAIR, they weren't mentioned in the same subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

hydrogen heater ,, good idea or what ? it uses less energy than most blow heaters
    it also explains how safe it is.. ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

trellheim wrote: »
    hindenburg.gif

Hydrogen requires a lot of care and expense to store efficiently and safely.
    Actually that wasn't a Hydrogen fire, flame front was too fast it was the coating that caught fire first and most of the passengers survived.

Hydrogen is very difficult to store, you need a lot of pressure / a lot of volume and even then it leaks faster than any other gas.

Pumped storage of water would be better if you happen to have a large pond nearby.

You can ignore the Tesla stuff. Every generation re-discovers Tesla. His patents expired before we were born and they still haven't been able to get some of the stuff to work and it's not for the want of trying.

An altrnative would be a well insulated slow cooker , you can cook dinner with a 75Watt light bulb , if you leave it long enough. One of the tricks here it to have a large thermal mass in the cooker so it always stays hot, and so it can transfer that heat to the food without the whole thing getting cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Does free negate capital, installation and O&M costs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

judas101 wrote: »
    Does free negate capital, installation and O&M costs?
    If you exclude disposal costs too then those thermal radioisotope generators are free. :D

Not sure how true it is but I heard a figure that even if you had free energy it would account for 1/3 of the running cost of a maglev railway. Must ask the Chinese.

But wind generators can be built from scrap for next to nothing. Not too sure on the insurance costs and you do need 20m clear space around so you can't build in suburban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

But wind generators can be built from scrap for next to nothing.

Hit a brother up with a link.

Gary L wrote: »
    Hit a brother up with a link.
    http://lmgtfy.com/

Advertisement