Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 11-01-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

The last 10 days or so I've been ill in the mornings, and dairy has been making me sick. My caffine addiction has taken a huge hit as I can't handle much of it any more, and I'm so tired. My boobs are tender too. Now I didn't give this to much thought (except the dairy thing. thats weird) I'm notdue for a few days yet, but EVERYONE is asking am I pregnant,as the combination of it all seems to point that way. Also a couple of "physic" type folks have said they reckon I'll be pregnant by V-Day. Now I know theres no scientific or medical basis there. But they are right 90% of the time at least.

My questions are
    a) Did any of ye experience this while in v.early pregancy? (if I am, its by maybe 3 weeks max)
    b) Can someone please invent a time machine so that I can be at the weekend and able to test if I also wind up being late?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

When are you due your period? Some tests can be accurate up to six days BEFORE a missed period so you could potentially test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Thurs/ Friday if it behaves itself. potentially into next week.

I'd buy a First Response home test as they seem to be the most sensitive ones around. Test with first urine of the morning as it's more concentrated and more likely to have higher levels of HCG.

Good luck whatever the outcome! Let us know!!

I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi pretty in pink. i am 6 weeks pregnant and had symptoms a week and half before period due i felt really nausea and tender breasts. i used first response 6 days before period due and got a very faint 2nd line so tested again on day my period due wit a digital test just for reassurance. goodluck keep us posted

• Advertisement

Just spoke to my mum, mentioned the dairy thing (and diet coke aversion thats growing) to here, and when she was pregnant she had those symptons when it was to early to test. God wish it was the weekend. That puts it in both either a couple of days late or couple of days early so a test should work then.

I'm so nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why are you waiting until the weekend?!!

There are a good few early tests available now that are accurate, as Adrieanne said, I've used them myself. Go and buy a test before you drive yourself mad.

When I do this test, how obvious does the other line have to be? Like a very faint one, does it count? Whats makes them dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Agree with Deemark ,Why wait.
    Use the first wee of the day as thats the strongest one ..And on mine the line came up very very very faint ..Waited till the next morning..Did another one another faint line..Did another one the next morning and it was faint ..Went to the doctors and she did a test that was faint ...
    Went for a scan and theres a baby in there lol

So basically it can still be positive even if its light :D

awwww you still pregant, or do you have the little tyke now?

well I guess I'm off to the chemists soon. And either which way the doctor come payday

thanks btw everyone for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Any type of second line is a positive the line means the pregnancy hormone HCG has been detected. If testing early line can be very faing as HCG levels are lower than when your period is due. As i tested 6 days early i got a very faint line as in barely there had to really look to see it buts as the days got closer to the day my period due as i reteseted the line got darker and darker as my hormone level rose. Goodluck and fingers crossed if you do test early buy a double pack of first response its only a couple of euro cheaper than single test but at least you have it there to retest in a few days. But definitley any type of second line is a positive

well I guess I'm off to the chemists soon. And either which way the doctor come payday

Good luck! Just 2 things to let you know

1. If you are pregnant, the GP won't necessarily do another test, s/he might take your word for it, but you can insist on it.

2. If you are pregnant, the GP visits are free! (some charge for the 1st visit, but you can get this back)

awwww you still pregant, or do you have the little tyke now?

thanks btw everyone for the replies

14 weeks pregnant :)
    Good luck :)

Waiting till morning now.

Be sure to let us know

Ah, the anticipation!!

tell me about it.
    time sure does go by so slowly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 turbochick

hey, im sorry i dont mean to barge into this forum, i made this account seconds ago and i have a similar question to pretty-in-pink, i will make it short and sweet, i really need help..

im 20 years old, and had loads of symptoms, cramps, nausia, except i wasnt getting sick, i felt like i was going to have the mother of all periods,without the extra bloatedness..i was suspecting i was pregnant 2 days before my period, so i did a pregnancy test with First Response, and it came up negative.. my period was due yesterday and i am never late.. i did 2 clear blue pregnancy tests tonight, and they came up positive.. is this for real or .. what? can someone help me i am on the edge.. and in denial it seems :(

Get a pee sample in the morning so you can dip the test in when you get back from the shop with it. A plastic cup will do it!

Oh 20, you poor thing. Thats so young. Talk to your partner, and your GP.

Whens the soonest you can do those?

Oh 20, you poor thing. Thats so young. Talk to your partner, and your GP.

Whens the soonest you can do those?

i spoke to my boyfriend, he is bein really understanding, hes 24, nearly 25 so he is naturally acting cool i think... is there such thing as 2 false negatives? i am sorry to be ranting on here, the internet seems like my only way of talkin to other people about this sort of thing, my friends would flip or go mad at me.

• Advertisement

Dont let them flip..
    Ive learned people will treat your reaction cool if you do ..
    Recently ive been told i duno wether to congratulate you or commiserate with you..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I mean im not dieing !!!!:mad:Infact we are doing possibly one of the most natural things in the world and you may not think that now but when the shock has gone you will see this :)

so true. fair play, i love your attitude, it makes me more hopeful :) well i am goin to do one more test tomorrow.. and i shall post here again and let you know how it goes, thanks again :)

turbochick wrote: »
    hey, im sorry i dont mean to barge into this forum, i made this account seconds ago and i have a similar question to pretty-in-pink, i will make it short and sweet, i really need help..

im 20 years old, and had loads of symptoms, cramps, nausia, except i wasnt getting sick, i felt like i was going to have the mother of all periods,without the extra bloatedness..i was suspecting i was pregnant 2 days before my period, so i did a pregnancy test with First Response, and it came up negative.. my period was due yesterday and i am never late.. i did 2 clear blue pregnancy tests tonight, and they came up positive.. is this for real or .. what? can someone help me i am on the edge.. and in denial it seems :(

It's very very rare that you would get a false positive. You can get false negatives though, especially if you test later on in the day. I suggest you head off to your GP and get a test done there. Sometimes the GP tests are a lot less sensitive than home pregnancy kits, so bring a jar of your first morning urine if you can as this would have more hormones in it than a later one.

Secondly, don't panic! You'll get through this, your partner seems like he's there for you, so that's a good thing. Being a young mother is not the end of the world.

yeah i must definitely do that, im on the edge of my seat haha :)
    of course, theres absolutely no problem in being a young mother at all, i will look forward to it if its real, i am just stuck somewhere in the middle right now of not knowing where i stand. thank you for your advice :)

tried 2 different types- boots one(not meant to read early) and first response.

the boots showed faint positive (both of them)
    the first response showed negative( saving the second one for a few days time)

So now I'm confused, how can something meant to test early say "nay" and something meant to test on time & late say "kinda yay, result not clear, come back later".

You can get a false negative but not a false positive as there has to be some trace of the hormone in the urine for it to bring up a positive. I'd be almost sure you're pregnant but wait a couple of days and test again. That's the only way to be completely sure. Sometimes the tests can fail.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Are the Boots ones the ones with blue ink? I've heard these can give an "evaporation line", so they might not be 100% if faint. Are the lines in the same position on both tests? I think it's rare enough though so showing up on both tests is pretty unlikely. The pink line can be very hard to see when it's faint though, the first one I got was barely a shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kazzo

Hi

I used "The Clearblue DIGITAL Pregnancy Test" last week.
    It will show you "pregnant" or "not pregnant".
    You can test up to 4 days early.
    I thought this test is brilliant cos there's no confusion.

http://www.clearblue.com/uk/new-clearblue-digital-pregnancy-test-with-conception-indicator.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

With our little one the Tesco basic ones did not show up intil week 5 but I was already getting a fait positive on the early response at week 3, the day afer I got a positive on the Clearblue but not at all times of day...we must have spent a fortune on tests...over 26 weeks at this stage and have seen and felt my baby son several times (a minute at times) at this stage. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Seriously,
    Why would anyone need to do that many pregnancy tests, its sooooo strange.
    Anyways, best bet is to do clearblue, trust me, if your pregnant it will show up, if you want to go to your GP he will be able to do the urine test and you will have results either way.

Advertisement