Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Competition] Win tickets to see Glengarry Glen Ross in the New Theatre this Friday

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

The lovely people over at the Idir Mná theatre company have offered two tickets to win for Friday night's production of Glengarry Glen Ross in the New Theatre, Temple Bar.

Glengarry%20Returns.jpg

Running from tonight to January 16 at 8pm, this play's details are as follows
    We are delighted to announce the return of Idir Mná's Glengarry Glen Ross to The New Theatre from 11th – 16th January. Idir Mná’s inaugural production of a contemporary, sleek, sexy and all female(ish) version of the Mamet classic went down a treat last November, performing to packed houses. If you don’t believe us then check out this review.

David Mamet’s scalding comedy is about 4 small-time, cutthroat real estate salespeople trying to grind out a living by pushing plots of land on reluctant buyers in a never-ending scramble for their fair share of the American dream. Here is Mamet at his very best, writing with brutal power about the tough life of tough characters who cajole, connive, wheedle, and wheel and deal for a piece of the action - where closing a sale can mean a brand new car but losing one can mean losing it all.

About David Mamet
    He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 for Glengarry Glen Ross, which received its first Broadway revival in the summer of 2005.

About Idir Mná
    Idir Mná is a newly established theatre company. The name is Irish for "Amongst Women". Idir Mná aims to address the imbalance in our profession on the lack of decent female roles in a way that doesn’t involve women sitting around complaining about shoes, boys or periods.

Cast: Sharon Coade, Patricia Fitzpatrick, Sonia Gamble, Adam Henshaw, Yvonne Ussher, Jane Elizabeth Walsh & Steve Wilson

Directed by Simon Hubbard

Tickets €15/12 or €10 for groups of 8 or more.
    To book email: info@thenewtheatre.com or phone 01 6703361. The website is here .

If you'd like to be in with a chance to win, just stick your name in the comments below. The show is Friday, January 15 at 8pm. - we'll pick the winner on Thursday 14 at 2pm.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Count me in please!

"you know what it takes to sell real estate win this competition? It takes brass balls!"

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

Count me in too please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Why is it in the Dub City forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

"your name" ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Excellent, I've always wanted to see this play, I LOVE the movie, Alec Baldwin's speech is something else...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Dancor wrote: »
    Why is it in the Dub City forum?

Because it's on in Dublin city. :)

Is that okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

Count me in please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 theganster

Hmm, it seems they have replaced most of the male cast with female actors - playing the male parts. Call me skeptical but i just cannot see this working - this play is about a group of hard nosed thick skinned brash abraisive salesmen in a very tough and abusive environment. I'm just not sure women could really pull this off. Plus after listing to that clip and hearing their awful yankie accents, I'm just not sure I could take this seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Oooh!! I like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Darragh wrote: »
    Because it's on in Dublin city. :)

Is that okay?

What about the other regions of Dublin? Users who post in, lets say, the Dublin 15 forum, but who may not look in the Dublin city forum might be interested in attending this show. Its not as if they are a million miles away from Dublin City though.

It should be a site wide announcment and possibly redirected to this forum or Theatre/performing arts/no drama.

Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic, just deleate if you feel so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

I'd love to go, how do you choose the winner?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

-"We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know first prize is a pair of tickets to the flicks on Friday. Anybody want to see second prize?
    (holds up prize).

-"Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is...YOU'RE FIRED!"

Oh yeah put me in the hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This is one of my favourite films, so I'd like to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

theganster wrote: »
    Hmm, it seems they have replaced most of the male cast with female actors - playing the male parts. Call me skeptical but i just cannot see this working - this play is about a group of hard nosed thick skinned brash abraisive salesmen in a very tough and abusive environment. I'm just not sure women could really pull this off. Plus after listing to that clip and hearing their awful yankie accents, I'm just not sure I could take this seriously...

Well delete your comment then, just in case you win by mistake! ;)

Count me in. Would love to give this a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Me me me !!!
    Been planning on doing more cultural stuff this year, so this would be a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

My mate was just acting one of the famous scenes from this in the pub on saturday. Strange.

So yeah, I'd like to go.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

Would love to win a couple of tickets for this !

signed:

Bruce Nyborg .... lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have been told to stick my name in the hat for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks all for your entries. I've just PM'd the winner and when they get back to me with their acceptance (or otherwise) of the prize, I'll announce who it is! it's MementoMori.

Congratulations :)

Thanks everyone for your interest!

Darragh

(Dancor, I'll be back to you separately on your query. I have something in mind for that :))

Advertisement