Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change Advice - Software Engineer

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi All,

I realise that this probably isn't the best time to be complaining about my job especially when so many other people can't find one these days but I'm hoping someone out there in my field might be able to throw me some advice.

I'm a software engineer and have been in employment with various IT companies since I graduated in 2004. My specific field is Java but I have done jobs with a wide range of technologies including website design and more enterprise stuff.

The trouble is is that I'm not particularly good at it. I found myself realising that I'm competent but I don't have any real enthusiasm for it any more which means I'll never go too far. I don't want to stick in a job just because of money so I'm looking around for alternatives in the IT industry but moving away from the programming/developing side of it where my experience is largely based.

Does anyone out there have any advice on ways which I could go based on their own jobs/experience??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭deep1

Hi All,

I realise that this probably isn't the best time to be complaining about my job especially when so many other people can't find one these days but I'm hoping someone out there in my field might be able to throw me some advice.

I'm a software engineer and have been in employment with various IT companies since I graduated in 2004. My specific field is Java but I have done jobs with a wide range of technologies including website design and more enterprise stuff.

The trouble is is that I'm not particularly good at it. I found myself realising that I'm competent but I don't have any real enthusiasm for it any more which means I'll never go too far. I don't want to stick in a job just because of money so I'm looking around for alternatives in the IT industry but moving away from the programming/developing side of it where my experience is largely based.

Does anyone out there have any advice on ways which I could go based on their own jobs/experience??

What about Networking?

Certs like CCNP, CCNA will do good, and as you have a good knowledge in programming you shouldn't have any problem understanding basic concept of Active directory, Windows server etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What about Application Support or DBA?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm a software engineer...The trouble is is that I'm not particularly good at it.

If your people skills are decent, consider IT management or consulting. It's not much of a change, but working with people brings its own rewards.

Failing that, think about how you'd like to spend the rest of your career, and perhaps start again. The older you get, the harder this will become.

You don't really need money until you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Similar to you, I had dabbled in programming, but really hated it. Worked for a large yank insurance company for near 6 years, bored off my tits on a daily basis, then did a Masters in Computer Forensics. I've not got a job yet, its hard to get work in it (anybody out there employing...!) :D But its defo something thats very, very interesting and I loved the course and can't wait to (hopefully!) get a job and get a new career in something I actually want to do!

Best of luck, consider forensics, its got a lot going and a niche market! (Just not in Ireland though!)

Advertisement