Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Fishing!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:58pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Not something we get a chance to do over here, but how about this guy on the canal near Kilcock. They cut holes in the ice to fish!

E94C829FB2DD452CA87636F9BD9AEAFE-800.jpg

Photo is courtesy of fellow boardsie Buzzlightyear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I posted a link to another ice fishing pic in the sticky above. I think its absolute madness! So dangerous. :rolleyes:

Would love to try it in a proper environment like Canada where its done right but the risk of doing it here is crazy me thinks :(

The reports from all over the country of people on frozen lakes. Leave them at it i say but to the fcuking idiots in some places sending their kids out to play on ice they need a lobotomy :mad:

Anyway give me a June evening under some warm sunshine dry fly fishing for brownies anytime!!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well you have a point.
    But OTOH the chaps from eg Poland are perfectly familiar with ice fishing because they do it every year.
    They know from personal experience how thick is safe, eg over 12mm, and would be looking tos ee if is thinner in tghis area and thicker in that area, and take note of those things. They would notice if melted snow is embedded in it, or if the ice is clear, and know what that does to the strength of the ice.
    I wish I had that knowledge.
    So they might not all be as crazy as you think! After all they got out fishing .....

Now the inexperienced novices who copy the experienced ice fishers, those are the ones who will possibly have to be pulled out by others willing to risk their lives for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I suppose you are right but I still think it is crazy behavior. In eastern Europe they have long, cold winters. A couple of weeks of cold here cant make it safe to be on lakes - can it?

And as you say if they get it wrong they may lose their life, or somebody may risk or lose their life in attempting to save them. A lot of lads from that area of the world have already drowned here while fishing due to their lack of knowledge of the seas.

Anyway, the thaw is here and hopefully nobody will come to any harm in the meantime.

The countdown is on until the trout season opens. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Unfortunately he is probably after his dinner and not just out for the fun of it. Wonder if he minded having his picture taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kumsi

come on lads maybe hi wants catch some for his dinner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Unfortunately he is probably after his dinner and not just out for the fun of it. Wonder if he minded having his picture taken?

Hi folks

This lad along with his mates were more than willing to have their shots taken. They just carried on, even gave the occassional poise.:D

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

I travel to Minniapolis regular and the guys over there have a 2inch rule for a human on the ice and 5inches for the 4x4's and fishing huts. I was down on the corrib lake shore on Friday and it's frozen out to about 200m from shore, could'nt believe it but there were car tracks heading out about 50m from shore turning around and coming back in. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Oh look its that stretch in Kilcock, which offered great angling until him & his ilk desecrated it with their knacker ways. Break Ice Break

Advertisement