Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nissan x trail or suzuki grand vitara

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

Having loved my 99' Mercedes E class for the last 4 years I've now come to the conclusion thats its just getting too much of a pain in the a** and is an absolute heap in the slightest bit of ice or snow. After last years snow and the thing skidding everywhere, travelling sideways even in winter drive and crawling inch by inch, and for the same reason being stuck in the parking space for the last week I've decided I'm getting rid of this heap of junk! No need to lecture about not being able to drive in snow and ice, I'm more than capable, learned to drive in these conditions and can handle the normal front wheel drive no problem in this weather but (on reflection definately need a lesson in how to drive RWD automatic in snow and ice)rear wheel drive and automatic is really not fun!

I'm looking to get a 4 wheel drive 'softroader' not just because of snow and ice but because I also have an allotment and do need to drive through fields regularly, and carry a load of gear in the back so have narrowed it down to the Nissan x trail or the Suzuki Grand vitara. I'm leaning towards the x trail but read some reviews and am a little concerned about the alleged intercooler and turbo problems with them. Grand vitara I'm not too sure about any problems. Can anyone give me some guidance or opinions on either of the above for my needs?

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would go with the Grand Vitara, I assume you are going for a Diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Thanks for the reply, definately diesel and don't want any bigger than 2.2L tax and running costs would be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Vitara diesel has centre locking diff and low range box, very useful if you have to pull something or get out of a muddy field.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

also consider a Rav4 2.2 or a Santa Fe 2.2 (4WD, most are 2WD)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Like the xtrail myself but don't know a lot about them. Two of my friends have the Vitara and both have had problems with the particle air breather. I drove my friends car when this problem occurred and it wouldn't go above 40 miles an hour. It spent three different spells with the dealer and problem reoccured on arrival home. It appears to be going okay now but it is a problem and a fairly expensive one to sort :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement