Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn off file icons in vista ?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

When I open a drive with a lot say 50 or more files I have to wait maybe 30 seconds before I can do anything - and all vista is doing is loading the icons as initially they all appear as generic files but when they all have the correct icon I can suddenly do stuff again, so generic is fine with me, can I turn icons off ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

MooseJam wrote: »
    When I open a drive with a lot say 50 or more files I have to wait maybe 30 seconds before I can do anything - and all vista is doing is loading the icons as initially they all appear as generic files but when they all have the correct icon I can suddenly do stuff again, so generic is fine with me, can I turn icons off ?

It it turing off the thumbnails that your after? If so :

1. Click on the Start button, then on All Programs, follow by Accessories.
    2. Run Windows Explorer.
    3. In Windows Explorer window, click on Organize button on the menu/shortcut bar.
    4. In the pull down menu, click on Folder and Search Options.
    5. Folder Options dialog window will appear. Click on View tab.
    6. Under the Files and Folders tree heading, check (tick) the checkbox next to Always show icons, never thumbnails option.
    7. Click the OK button.

Credit - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/15/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-thumbnail-preview-in-vista/

Advertisement