Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2010 New York

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey all, me and 3 friends are heading to new york this summer and were jus wonderin if there are many else heading??
    we're lookin at accomodation now and its so expensive would anyone be interested in sharing, would be good crack if we got a group together plus wed al save a few bob. we're a bunch of girls but were not fussy either way all males/females etc welcome :D.
    or if anyone out there has gone to new york on a j1 already any advice on accomodation and jobs is always welcome! thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 sajama

Heya!

I'm heading to NY too - when are you guys flying out? I was initially meant to go with a friend but she has backed down so it's just me going over alone at the minute, cos nobody else seems bothered to do it!

I'm heading out the 7th June... :)

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

hey thinking of hitting NYC for the summer myself was meant to be going with a friend but he has backed out on me:( planning on going n my own at the minute but wouldnt mind hooking up with a crew it would be handier than trying to make loads of new mates when i get over there. Im a 21 year old male by the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delfranko

hey folks, myself nd 1 of my friends are headin over for 7 weeks from june 1st probably or sometime round then anyway. I was looking at NYU Summer Housing but it seems pretty pricy. I'd defo be interested in sharing an apartment to save a few euros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aoibhdolan

we're all 19/20 and are heading out around the beginning of june till august havn't really decided on exact dates yet but we are looking around the brooklyn/queens areas maybe? we wana stay as close to the city as poss!
    yeah i was looking at the nyu housing aswell but d prices are insane its such a shame though cos u can basically walk everywhere if u stayed there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delfranko

Yeah I was lookin at places in Brooklyn on sublet.com nd it looks like u can get some nice places for good value once u don't mind squeezing in a lil bit!

Me nd my mate are fellas nd will b 21 by summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aoibhdolan

sounds gud, i was havin a look earlier and wer not fussy at all as long as its cheap enuf and in a good spot! well if we all jus have a look and c wat we come up with...my name's Aoibheann and my email's aoibh-dolan@hotmail.com if ya dont wana talk on dis!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Emzer

Hey
    Me and my friend (2girls age 21) Are planning on heading to nyc aswell during the summer will b arriving at the end of may and we wer looking at apartments to rent in the city but all very pricey and we have emailed a few but hvnt heard back yet but for just the 2 of us.
    So wuld defo be up for sharing sumwer if you guys were up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zaraco101

Hey! We're two girls (22/23) heading over the beginning of June. It's our first time on J1, and as some people commented accommodation is super expensive! We would definitely be up for sharing a house or apartment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Emzer

zaraco101 wrote: »
    Hey! We're two girls (22/23) heading over the beginning of June. It's our first time on J1, and as some people commented accommodation is super expensive! We would definitely be up for sharing a house or apartment. :)

Ye we are looking into places at the moment getting a few replys its quite expensive!Have you's looked at any places yet? not sure were to stay but Manhattan area we thinking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zaraco101

We were thinking Manhattan too but apartments are so expensive. We looked into renting rooms but again prices were a little out of our reach. We haven't actually contacted anyone yet! What sites have you guys been looking at?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sublet.com and craigslist are good places to look for accomodation pricing, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Forget manhatten folks, too expensice and unlikely to get anything under a 12 month lease.

Chack on Craigslist EVERYDAY for places in Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens.
    Some parts can be dodgy but moslty fine.

I was out in Woodside Quenns myself which was great. Its on the 7 line which flies into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Crumbs87

Hey, I'm planning to head over to New York at the start of June, all by myself :) Would be interested in sharing with people. 22yr old girl from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 class barry

hey a group of round 7 lads from limerick headin ny frm late may till mid august,we nice i swear!:eek:glady meet up with other irish 2 enjoy the experience with!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mcguire99

aoibhdolan wrote: »
    hey all, me and 3 friends are heading to new york this summer and were jus wonderin if there are many else heading??
    we're lookin at accomodation now and its so expensive would anyone be interested in sharing, would be good crack if we got a group together plus wed al save a few bob. we're a bunch of girls but were not fussy either way all males/females etc welcome :D.
    or if anyone out there has gone to new york on a j1 already any advice on accomodation and jobs is always welcome! thanks guys :)

hi , my name is keith im from tipperary im livin over here in new york at the minute, workin , im movin out of my house in may so i will be lookin for some one to share with for the summer, my e mail is mcguirekeith@hotmail.com or facebook me keith mc guire cahir co tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thebatwolf31

howya doing im 24 from dublin im heading over in may to nyc by myself, if you lads are looking for more people to share accomodation with id be up for that. as im by mself, accomodation could be quite expensive. whats your plan and that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Hey! I'm interested in going to NY for the summer. I'm 25, and I'll will be getting paid for the summer because I'm a teacher. I'm looking for the least amount of responsibility & stress possible. (Think Hooters waitress or face painter :D) I need low key work or I'll be taxed to bits over here... I only wanna work for something to do and to meet people. I'll work for tips if I have to.

I've got a friend who's 21 that's interested too, she'll get her hotel job transfered to NY so she's sorted for work.

We'd be going over in July, me for 6 - 7 weeks. Not sure how long she'd stay on and I wanna visit family in NJ at some stage. I'd love to visit Long Island, maybe stay a week there and hostel for a week in Manhatten. Not fussy, but would like to meet similar people.

Do I need any paper work or anything? Not J1, I'm qualified 3 years ago... Just put down that it's a holiday? What are chances of getting accomodation & a job in July?

PM me if you're interested

Cat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

hey we went on j1 a few years back 7 lads from NUIG. Lived in the city in the Bronx. Wasn't great to be honest, we weren't in the Irish centre we were kind of in the middle of families living their lives so 7 2nd years partying weren't their ideal neighbours, make sure you watch out for this!! We found it a bit stressful getting around, going into town, getting subway home at 7am n stuff! We had a 2 bed apart between us which was cramped. Most of us were working doing furniture removal.

We went out to long island a couple of weekends to the hamptons, Montauk places like that and that's where we had the best times.
    It's a big city and its very difficult to get from 1 pub/club to another at nyt and home again. Don't get me wrong it was brilliant and NYC is amazing,even walking around the streets at nyt and taking in the atmosphere never gets boring!

All 7 of us agreed that if we were to do it again we would have done it the other way around i.e lived in long island on the beach and travelled into NYC any weekend where you could get a cheap hostel for the weekend and do all the sites, big clubs etc then get the train back to Long Island on Monday morning. Would have been far more chilled out. That was just us tho and everybody is dif of course just giving my tuppence worth! :p

In NYC I would look to stay in Woodlawn in the bronx or woodside in Queens. These are the irish centres and everybody is very helpful, quick subway journey into town from both of these places. Best of luck all and make the most of it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EMMA85

hey is anyone heading to long island/montauk area? if you are would u be interested in getting a big house to share me and 2 fellas headin over june 8th and accomodation looks way too expensive to get on our own! we'r all easy goin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EMMA85

oh and also if anyone has been to montauk before any info or advice on jobs/accomodation would be appreciated so much!!
    and one of us doesnt hav a j1 so whats the craic with cash in hand work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyman88

hey im headin over at the end of may was meant to be goin with one of the lads but he pulled out but im still goin anyway...
    lookin for as many people willin to share accomodation as can be fit into a house/apartment and a house/apartment... im 21 and male by the way... and my email is bobby-man88@hotmail.com or else my on facebook my names Bobby Slattery...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Hey! I'm interested in going to NY for the summer. I'm 25, and I'll will be getting paid for the summer because I'm a teacher. I'm looking for the least amount of responsibility & stress possible. (Think Hooters waitress or face painter :D) I need low key work or I'll be taxed to bits over here... I only wanna work for something to do and to meet people. I'll work for tips if I have to.

I've got a friend who's 21 that's interested too, she'll get her hotel job transfered to NY so she's sorted for work.

We'd be going over in July, me for 6 - 7 weeks. Not sure how long she'd stay on and I wanna visit family in NJ at some stage. I'd love to visit Long Island, maybe stay a week there and hostel for a week in Manhatten. Not fussy, but would like to meet similar people.

Do I need any paper work or anything? Not J1, I'm qualified 3 years ago... Just put down that it's a holiday? What are chances of getting accomodation & a job in July?

PM me if you're interested

Cat :)

You won't be legally allowed to work unless you have the J1 visa.
    Plenty get away with it but if you get caught then you are screwed and won't be allowed back into the country for anything from 3/7/10 years!

Though if you will be getting paid all summer anyway you wouldn't exactly have to work. You could...volunteer in some places or something...that may be allowed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You won't be legally allowed to work unless you have the J1 visa.
    Plenty get away with it but if you get caught then you are screwed and won't be allowed back into the country for anything from 3/7/10 years!

Though if you will be getting paid all summer anyway you wouldn't exactly have to work. You could...volunteer in some places or something...that may be allowed! :)

Your not gonna get work without a visa unless you find an employer who doesn't require papers and may either be doing this because (A) They themselves are illegal or (B) Dodging tax or something.
    Anyway the fact is that there is a HUGE illegal work scene in the USA but often people will have connections or links to these jobs, in other words they are not exactly "advertised". Anyway since you are a teacher and will already be getting paid from home why bother looking for work? The wages are most likely going to be just a % of what you are making now. Its not like there are a shortage of things to do in NYC! I spent 3 months in Chicago on a visa waiver not working a day and I never had a dull moment. There was always stuff to do, things to see! I'm actually so jealous of you not needing to work! Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 soopafly89

Hey

Theres 5 of us(2m, 3f) going over in June for 3 months. We're all 21/22.

Hoping to get a place in Queens so if anyone is up for sharing to get the rent down you can send me an email at conor.gannon@nuim.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Am I just being paranoid and wary about how many accounts being set up just to post 1 thing in this thread and their emails openly in view.....

Or maybe they don't realise they should send PMs to be on the safer side of things!

O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Lets wait and see if the Social Security numbers come out first :P

I think I may have a place lined up. A sublet, the girl seems keen and sound. Gonna do a skype chat with her (with my friend). 2 of her friends will be there when we arrive but leaving, so we'll have the place to ourselves for a lot of the 6 weeks. :D $900 for the month inc utilities, air con etc. Not much there, two matresses though and a couch in the bedroom. Seems to be a lot of cool stuff to do in Queens and loads of restaurants, bars, parks & pools.

I was only looking for a job because if my friend was working I'd be on my own and it'd be nice to have company. But the girl I might be renting from said she'd show us around before she leaves and introduce us to people. :) Hopefully we'll end up singing in Irish pubs for free drinks and dinner!

Anything I need to ask her/ make sure of??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Security deposit can get you, ask about that. And if there isn't one make sure she isn't going to charge you afterwards for anything!

My flakey partner-in-crime hasn't confirmed the apartment (exams, work etc) so the girl had to pass it on to her sister for summer. Grr! Back to square one. This is why you should travel alone people! Ah well :rolleyes: Anyone need 2 sharers for july/ august??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 EvSenn

Myself and one other guy (both 20, both male) are heading over on June 9th, still haven't got accommodation and we need people to stay with to bring down rent. If anyone's interested in sharing, email me!
    e.keane9@nuigalway.ie

Advertisement