Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account Suspended Query

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Had stopped playing for the last 3 months and only started to play it yesterday.
    Bought a new Laptop
    Transferred the WoW files from my mates external hardrive onto mine
    used the 7free days given because off the Mohawk Warriors...
    played for about 6hours yesterday.

Then got an email at 4pm today saying my account was used by someone else and that its been suspended for 24 hours??

I sent them an email back and just wondering if anyone here can enlighten me as to hwo they knwo someone else used my account? IT could have just been me! Also how could someone else use my account?

Weird thing is i made a new chara Troll Priest and around lvl 6 some dude started following me and using RP language and calling me his boss and leader and all this mad stuff.... could he have something to do with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Sounds a little insane. But I know Blizzard's battlenet system records IP log-ins on the account level so they almost instantly know if your account has been accessed by someone else. Especially if the log-in goes from somewhere in Ireland to somewhere in China in a few hours. Does anyone else have your account info, or is it possible that your friends client has a trojan in it that is being used to record log-in details? Do you have an active virus scanner and did you scan the WoW files before playing?

Seems very unlikely that a level 6 following you around would have any involvement in this. Seems more likely you just met your first crazy/bored WoW friend. ;)

Short-term advice, create a new account. By the time you get your old one back the trial will be over. Long-term advice, you and your friend need to run a deep virus scan and/or spyware scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ivan wrote: »
    Sounds a little insane. But I know Blizzard's battlenet system records IP log-ins on the account level so they almost instantly know if your account has been accessed by someone else. Especially if the log-in goes from somewhere in Ireland to somewhere in China in a few hours. Does anyone else have your account info, or is it possible that your friends client has a trojan in it that is being used to record log-in details? Do you have an active virus scanner and did you scan the WoW files before playing?

Seems very unlikely that a level 6 following you around would have any involvement in this. Seems more likely you just met your first crazy/bored WoW friend. ;)

Short-term advice, create a new account. By the time you get your old one back the trial will be over. Long-term advice, you and your friend need to run a deep virus scan and/or spyware scan.

True ive thought about this and included it in the email I have sent them. It is only a 24hour suspension so Ill be back on the account tomorrow but dont want it to happen again. No im the only one with any account info.

I only bought the Laptop on Friday afternoon brand spanking new so couldnt have had a trojan myself. But as you said it could have come direct from my mates files but his account hasnt been affected.

Just annoying havnt played in so long then eventually when got back into it ive to hold off!

As for the dude who kept messaging me and following me... It was nuts!! I was outside UC and 5Alliance 80's were attacking and me being lvl8 jus ran by time but this dude starts attacking them!! Adn gets killed... Comes back to life and starts telling me that he has failed me and he'll make it up... and I can order him around and all... very weird.. should have taken screenshots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

RP trolls be crazy, mon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Have you tried your account since? Or are you just going by the email?

There are a large number of fake mails going about at the moment. The links even look right, but you have to hover over them to see that they're taking you to alternative websites, which will probably load a keylogger or something similar onto your PC.

Don't reply to these emails. Don't click on any of the links.

If you're uncertain about anything relating to your WoW account, go directly to the european/US (depending where your account is) official website - log in and send a help mail.

My 24 hour suspension is up. Yea it definitely was legit emails. Beacaues I went straight to my battlenet acccount which when i click on WoW linked me to a page that said my account was suspended.

I have Norton 360 only installed it and ran checks on whole computer nothing came up.. I have also indivually scanned my WoW files and there was nothing there.

Only question Im left wondering is does Norton detect Keyloggers? does this fall under their normal terminology for say spyware?

Im back playing but would still like them to answer my emails since I have no idea if my characters have been tampered with or anything. Is it likely since the suspension is up that they will write back to me?

• Advertisement

ran full system check and I had a Tacking Cookie on my computer GRRR!!! So fckin annoyed now!!

Anyway here is a copy of the email sent to me im questioninong whthere thsi was a legit one ive been on the WoW forums and seems legit.. ill jsut star out any personal info.
    Blizzard Account Administration EU -- Account Security Notice‏
    Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
    Sent: 10 January 2010 16:02:09
    To: *********@hotmail.com

English speaking customers: Please refer to the start of this mail
    Für deutschsprachige Kunden: Bitte beachten Sie den zweiten Teil der Nachricht
    Pour les clients français: Veuillez vous rendre à la troisième partie de ce message
    Para los clientes españoles: Por favor vayan al cuarto apartado de este correo electrónico.
    Русскоговорящие игроки: пожалуйста, прочтите последнее сообщение этого письма.

Greetings,

An investigation of the World of Warcraft account ******* has produced evidence that the account has been accessed by someone who is not allowed to use it. The account has been issued a 24-hour suspension to provide you with an opportunity to secure and regain access to it.

No form of contact from you is needed as the account should automatically become available once the 24-hour suspension has elapsed.

Please be aware that if the account’s security will be compromised again, this may result in the account being disabled again. Please be sure to review the information below to help prevent future security issues:

Account compromises are usually the result of the registered player of the account sharing his or her login information or playing on a computer that has a virus.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to keep your login information confidential. Any account that is registered to your name may not be shared with anyone except for one minor, of whom you are acting as a parent or guardian. You are also responsible for every use of your login information, whether authorized or not.

A new, randomly-generated password will be emailed to you shortly. After you have successfully logged in to the World of Warcraft with this new password, please go to the Account Management page (https://www.wow-europe.com/account) and create a new, secure password.

It can take up to one hour for our system to generate and send the new password. If you have not received a password within one hour of this message’s delivery, please check your Spam, Junk or Suspect Mail folders.

For your own protection, we encourage you to keep the following security tips in mind when using any computer on which you play World of Warcraft:

- Keep current with the latest operating system and other software updates.
    - Make use of firewall protection if possible.
    - Regularly scan for viruses, Trojan files, and key loggers.
    - Be wary of "spoof" emails and websites and when downloading new software.

For additional security tips and information, please visit the following websites:
    - Account and Computer Security: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=35983697
    - Information regarding unauthorized access: http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=22455

Only the Account Administration team can address disputes or questions you may have about this action. For further information and contact information, please use the following website:
    http://eu.blizzard.com/support/webform.xml?locale=en_GB

As a precautionary measure we have also removed your recurring subscription details from the account; if you wish to continue your subscription you will need contact our billing department, via our webform: http://eu.blizzard.com/support/webform.xml?locale=en_GB or by phone http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=23210

Regards,

Account Administration Team
    Blizzard Entertainment Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm that looks legit enough alright, links are going towards the official website and forums. Lucks like you just got unlucky with the keylogger, just login and change the password, best ya can do for now.

Not asking for specifics, but do you use the same password for your WoW and E-mail accounts?? Could have been a phising scam a while back but hasnt affected you till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

ran full system check and I had a Tacking Cookie on my computer GRRR!!! So fckin annoyed now!!
    We all have tracking cookies on our pc's from one site or another. Nothing to be paranoid about. I would suggest uninstalling norton and getting something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

We all have tracking cookies on our pc's from one site or another. Nothing to be paranoid about. I would suggest uninstalling norton and getting something better.

Four free windows tools worth running regularly are Malwarebytes, Spybot, ccleaner and Adaware. Microsoft released Microsoft Security Essentials at the end of last year. No idea how good it is but again its free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Ewww, nortons :(
    In order of preference as in the best AV there is...

Nod32
    Avira AntiVir Premium

That's it, everything else is rubbish imho.

The free MS one isn't too bad either and an awful lot better than nortons anyway so at least run with that for a start.

Keep on eye on g2play.net for cheap Avira keys.

• Advertisement

Have changed my battlenet password and hotmail password twice.
    Fully suited and booted ready to get going again.

Norton
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    AD-Aware
    Spyware Blaster

When I logged into the WoW Forums and could select which character I wanted to post as there was a couple of characters with which I had never created with them usual 'ashahda' names!! Hahaha fcking mad!!

None of my Gold or stuff had been touched in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Norton

You should definitely look into getting rid of that... The newer version of Norton is supposedly half decent, but they have released enough inefficient bloatware before that to put me off them for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

tman wrote: »
    You should definitely look into getting rid of that... The newer version of Norton is supposedly half decent, but they have released enough inefficient bloatware before that to put me off them for life!

As in, "I have no idea about this software". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I was merely giving an opinion, which I'm not alone in having...

Apologies for dragging this further off topic guys, try to stick to the original topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

tman wrote: »
    I was merely giving an opinion, which I'm not alone in having...

Apologies for dragging this further off topic guys, try to stick to the original topic
    Actually no, **** that, what Tman states is absolute fact. Norton is bloatware and its better to uninstall it. People seem to think that just because you have paid a premium for Norton or you got it with a computer package that it is the bees knees of security. Miles from the truth.

Care to offer an opinion to the contrary polar101? Or is it just one liners this week?
    No need for that. Computer security seems to be at issue here and at this stage it is the rightful evolution of the topic.

Well Norton was free with the laptop so ive got it might as well use it...

and Malware bytes seems to be the top dawg!!

also there forums are excellenty run and the mods will speak to the engineers and experts in relation to your log files..

dont want to promote an opposite forum(but it is only for technical advice)
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well Norton was free with the laptop so ive got it might as well use it...

Virus' and Trojans are free too.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64096892']Virus' and Trojans are free too.

Woah i outta get my money back when I speak to the guy who told me that if I get a Trojan it means I can speak to Elvis!

Advertisement