Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading coin-operated ESB meter

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:49am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Myself and my girlfriend recently moved into a flat and found out afterwards that our ESB meter was coin-operated.

The letting agent showed us how to read the meter and see how many coins/credits were left in the machine so we know how much we were using, when we're running low etc.

However, after a few days of using it it looks like he's not showed us the right way to read it.

I've attached a picture on the off-chance that someone where might be familiar with it and know how to read it (sorry it's such bad quality - had to take it in the dark without a flash).

Anyway, we were told to look at the dial on the left-hand side of the third row of dials... this would tell us how many coins were in it. However when I put a new coin in this dial didn't move up - the one on the right did, however.

What I'm thinking is that the one on the left tells you how much is left on the current coin while the one on the right tells you how many coins are left in total, if that makes sense.

That said neither dial have moved all that much in the last day or two, if at all. It might be the case that one coin goes a long way, which would be great, but I'm anxious to know for sure how it works so I don't get caught short.

I'll hopefully get a chance to talk to the landlord tomorrow or Tuesday but would like to know if anyone else can help first.

Also the dial at the top tells you how much you get per coin - it's currently set at 6kwh for a €2 coin, which seems a bit high. What do people make of that? I know it won't correlate with the ESB per-kwh rate because VAT and standing charges have to be added but it's still twice the ESB rate.

Anyway, thanks for any help or pointers on this,

Adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

That's not an ESB meter, dude :)

It's an old dodge by landlords, but still out there, where your friendly landlord installs a meter (or more than one when they couldn't be arsed applying for an increase in supply for multiple dwellings!) between the ESB supply and your own installation.

It's probably working fine, but it's set, as you say for 6 units to two euro. Now, a unit is currently around 16 cent with the VAT, and the standing charge, assuming you're urban, is 25 cent, give or take. This is for a standard tarriff.

Now bollocky bill is charging two quid, which even allowing for the daily standing charge means that he's doubling his money on your ESB bill, and then some.

This is plain and simple, extortion, but as I say it's still going on.

Couple of things; have you electric/storage heating in the flat?

Do you get to see the bills? (I'd imagine not).

How much a day are you getting through so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

flogen wrote: »
    Also the dial at the top tells you how much you get per coin - it's currently set at 6kwh for a €2 coin, which seems a bit high. What do people make of that? I know it won't correlate with the ESB per-kwh rate because VAT and standing charges have to be added but it's still twice the ESB rate.
    Complete rip off.

I can't read your photo :(

I can't either really, but I'm familiar enough with the type of meter itself.

Top dial; units per coin (It's a UK meter, set in pounds but that doesn't matter). set at 6.

Middle three, count the number of coins inserted, hundreds, tens and singles, which is why the right one is rising. This meter has taken in 683 coins, which is nearly thirteen hundred euro, or over seven hundred quid profit for this prick of a landlord.

Bottom one sets the standing charge, but as I don't see a clock setting, I'm not sure how this works-can't make it out either, but assuming the incomer is double tarriff, it equates to quadruple profit at night time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

That's not an ESB meter, dude :)

It's an old dodge by landlords, but still out there, where your friendly landlord installs a meter (or more than one when they couldn't be arsed applying for an increase in supply for multiple dwellings!) between the ESB supply and your own installation.

My mistake - I did know that it's not directly and ESB meter. My understanding is it's a way of splitting the bill in two between the two flats in the building.
    It's probably working fine, but it's set, as you say for 6 units to two euro. Now, a unit is currently around 16 cent with the VAT, and the standing charge, assuming you're urban, is 25 cent, give or take. This is for a standard tarriff.

Now bollocky bill is charging two quid, which even allowing for the daily standing charge means that he's doubling his money on your ESB bill, and then some.

This is plain and simple, extortion, but as I say it's still going on.

Yeah, it wasn't even my initial concern but after looking it up it's something I'll be raising with him tomorrow.

If it's around 16c/kwh incl. VAT that would work to 12.5kwh/€2... so to factor in the daily standing charge it would probably be set a wee bit below this?
    Couple of things; have you electric/storage heating in the flat?

No - oil heaters.
    Do you get to see the bills? (I'd imagine not).

Only in a few days so I couldn't tell you how that will play out.
    How much a day are you getting through so far?

In money terms, I couldn't tell you. That's partly why I'm trying to see what I'm looking for when it comes to monitoring the meter, to see how quickly the coins are going.

You mentioned the second row of dials being in reference to the amount of coins in the meter - I assume since it was set first.

The row below that (with two dials) is the one I think I'm supposed to be looking at in terms of consumption... not certain, though.
    Victor wrote: »
    Complete rip off.

I can't read your photo :(

Sorry - will take another one tomorrow.

No - oil heaters.
    Electrically heated oil heaters?

• Advertisement

I don't think that meter *has* a reading on it, Flogen. I could be wrong, mind you.

And yes, the number of coins inserted is probably from day one, like the mileometer on a car it could have gone around though :eek:

'Cos you've no storage heaters, I'm assuming the supply is single tariff. This meter was probably put in to allow a shared single phase supply to both units (and cream off a fair chunk of profit for our friend).

I'll put it this way, assuming similiar occupancy in both, one of you is covering the bill on their own, you are effectively paying for your neighbours usage, and their contribution is going straight into his greasy palm.

I do hope you get some satisfaction from him.

edit: I haven't allowed for the fact that they may have one as well. I'd talk to them too. You might be happy in the place and it may suit, can of worms and all that-but I wouldn't accept this for a minute.

Oh feckit yes, I never thought of that. OP, they drink juice like a HummVee.

Excuse my ignorance but how can I tell?
    I don't think that meter *has* a reading on it, Flogen. I could be wrong, mind you.

Will have to see what he says when I speak to him today.
    And yes, the number of coins inserted is probably from day one, like the mileometer on a car it could have gone around though :eek:

'Cos you've no storage heaters, I'm assuming the supply is single tariff. This meter was probably put in to allow a shared single phase supply to both units (and cream off a fair chunk of profit for our friend).

I'll put it this way, assuming similiar occupancy in both, one of you is covering the bill on their own, you are effectively paying for your neighbours usage, and their contribution is going straight into his greasy palm.

I do hope you get some satisfaction from him.

edit: I haven't allowed for the fact that they may have one as well. I'd talk to them too. You might be happy in the place and it may suit, can of worms and all that-but I wouldn't accept this for a minute.

From what I can see the other flat has a standard meter - ours is obviously the go-between.

I do like the place and don't want to open a can of worm but at the same time I'm not willing to pay twice the price for electricity for the foreseeable future.

In the very limited interaction we've had with the landlord so far he seems to be decent so I'm happy to raise the matter with him and see how it goes. Will let you know how I get on; thanks for your help.

My last bill had an effective rate of 19c//kWh, you are paying 33.3c/kWh. If the other flat has an ESB meter, I wonder are tehy paying for both their and your electricity.
    Excuse my ignorance but how can I tell?
    "Oil heaters" contain an oil that is heated by an electric element. The heat in the oil means they continue to give off heat when they are turned off. They will have an electric cable running to them.

Now, if you mean you have oil-fired central heating (that burns oil and only has an incidental electric connection), thats another matter.

My last bill had an effective rate of 19c//kWh, you are paying 33.3c/kWh. If the other flat has an ESB meter, I wonder are tehy paying for both their and your electricity.

Spoke to the landlord today - who seems decent enough I must say - and has said it hasn't been adjusted in a while and his electrician will look at it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now but am not taking anything until I see it.

If he sets the per coin rate to 10 or more I'd be happy enough.
    "Oil heaters" contain an oil that is heated by an electric element. The heat in the oil means they continue to give off heat when they are turned off. They will have an electric cable running to them.

Now, if you mean you have oil-fired central heating (that burns oil and only has an incidental electric connection), thats another matter.

Sorry, oil-fired.

From speaking to the last tenant (which I just did) it's also an expensive means of heating the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement